Yankee Portrait Large Jars

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I didn't like Michaela much. She wasn't really relaxed on camera, was she? And yes she did get really snitty with the presenters, but these days I would see that as a good thing! Bet she would be ticked off if ignored for an iPad, Lol. She was quite patronising though IMHO, as if they were doing us a big favour by bringing us the stuff we are paying good money for.

I had that vineyard set when it came on as an AD offer, so drop 2 was the Beautiful Day, Tulips, Gardenia trio they had on. Drop 3 will include Silver Birch and Feliz Navidad, about which I am seriously over-excited already. Even if it is crap I want a red Christmas candle called that. I didn't mind the Eucalyptus at all. Not a fave but not unpleasant. I shall go almost-pinetastic and burn it with Bayberry and the WJ Eucalyptus, with some piney type tarts near Christmas. Probably not this year though!!!!!!

I must have missed your electric tart mishap May. You didn't throw something in a bowl of water did you?? Was it on fire like when I did that?

:mysmilie_59:

No mishap as such. I melted the tart in the electric warmer, but in the dish bit. It's a single piece rather than having a removable dish for the tart to melt in. So when I wanted to clear out the tart, it was 100% liquid. I attempted to invert it to pour into the cupcake case, and it was mostly successful, but wholly messy as it dribbled down the side of the electric warmer and splattered over my draining board. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have put the whole thing on a piece of newspaper... then however messy it got, it would have been quick to clean up. Instead I was hunched over the draining board with a plastic scraper to prise the bits of wax off. Lesson learned. So no fire. I do however have a removable dish in a tart burner (tealight powered) to deal with. I will be on my guard for any flame related incidents...

I've still got about 1/2 a Beautiful Day candle left. I'm debating with myself getting that set with it in, as it is a lovely candle scent (very hyacinthy to my nose). I've more than half persuaded myself I need this set as I like the White Gardenia and I'm sure the Tulip will be nice as well.

Oh I see. Molten wax everywhere, nightmare! I now use electric warmers with removable glass dishes you can bung in the freezer. All the other style warmers are in the cupboard until such time as they are all that remain!

Further update... now using a silicone cupcake mould in the melt bowl part of my electric melt warmer... I've added into it the chippings from my Golden Sands candle (from where I've made my embankment). Lovely smell and definitely, 100% no smoking or tunnelling this way! :mysmilie_59:

Further update... now using a silicone cupcake mould in the melt bowl part of my electric melt warmer... I've added into it the chippings from my Golden Sands candle (from where I've made my embankment). Lovely smell and definitely, 100% no smoking or tunnelling this way! :mysmilie_59:

Yay, brill news and great idea re silicone mould/scrapings in melt warmer too :D

Yay, brill news and great idea re silicone mould/scrapings in melt warmer too :D
#
I can't claim credit for the silicone mould idea... or using candles in the melt warmer. I will reuse this idea for my votive candles, I think, as they are a nightmare to get out of holders, in my experience.

I love the fact that, since Tarketta's post, embankment has become part of our Yankee Candle vernacular!!

I love the fact that, since Tarketta's post, embankment has become part of our Yankee Candle vernacular!!

For the life of me, I couldn't think what else to call it - I agree, I love this thread, so good-natured and fun!!!!

#
I can't claim credit for the silicone mould idea... or using candles in the melt warmer. I will reuse this idea for my votive candles, I think, as they are a nightmare to get out of holders, in my experience.

I find this, too. I always put a drop of water in beforehand, but they still need chiselling out! I don't understand the point of selling attractive glassware to put them in, if it's going to get covered in waxy residue that's a pain to get rid of. I bought the lamp and votives TSV earlier in the year, and it's annoying that they didn't make the glass votive holder detachable, as it's even harder to clean with the rest of the lid mechanism attached. The lamp is really lovely, though, and at least you can't see the gaumed up votive holder, as it's hidden inside!

A further update on the Golden Sands candle.

Burned it for the first time since I took a round bladed knife to it to construct an embankment, and create a new wax tart... (last update was me heating the tart for scent).

Burning merrily under an illuma lid. Flame - nice and orange and bobbing around quietly suddenly shoots up smokily above the top of the illuma lid. Time for the snippers (YC ones which are very stiff when you try to snip). Snipped off culprit - new mushroom on the top of the wick (suggests to me this candle wick is not entirely suited to the wax mix) and re-lit it (didn't extinguish it, but the YC snippers did). Cleaned off some of the copious amounts of soot from the snippers and myself, and pre-lighting it, wielded the tweezers in the pool of wax to extract the sotty remnants that had fallen through to the surface of the candle. After burning this candle for about 6 hours finally the wax has pooled completely to the sides of the jar. It is officially not tunnelling... however it doesn't bode well if the candle has to burn for about double what they say the candle takes to pool to the sides. I remain hopeful that now the candle is levelling out properly, perhaps I can get a 3 hour pool time when I burn the candle again.

It's a shame about the smoking wick on this candle, as the scent is really lovely... I am rubbish at properly describing the fragrance, but it's got soft but sophisticated notes - not an out and out floral or fruit scent which could be explained by the sandalwood and tonka beans which give it a warm feeling. Even though it's sort of summery, it's lovely at this time of year as we begin the transition into late summer and early autumn.

Sooo while you have to be super-careful with this candle (tunnel-prone, mushrooming, sooting up and flaring) the scent is worth the effort.

I am glad you feel the fragrance pay-off is worth the effort, May, because that's one heck of a lot of persevering you are doing there! Well done!

I'm currently struggling a bit with an errant Vanilla Lime large jar. It has refused to pool unaided since the first couple of burns. I have lit a few times in the past week and each time, after giving it 2-3 hours and seeing it's nowhere near, I've had to resort to the foil wraparound. To be fair, it then pools perfectly but it doesn't like it if I take the foil off because the sides start to set again. I guess it's just a hard wax - maybe been stored too long and in cold conditions in the past.

I know this thread is headed Portrait jars, but as we are talking Yankee large jars generally, have you all seen the new collections in the standard range coming in 2017?

Pure Essence: Linden Tree, Wild Mint, Cherry Blossom
Coastal Living: Driftwood, Garden by the Sea, Sea Air, Coastal Living
Havana: Tobacco Flower, Viva Havana, Cuban Mojito, Delicious Guava

Went in the Yankee shop at Bluewater today, and got some Christmas votives. Was also really pleased to pick up a replacement tea light holder (it's a cracked glass one, with winter berries), as my husband accidentally broke our's, and we were sorry to lose it as it's really pretty. Also got my Mum a Yankee advent calendar in Clinton's. It's a Reindeer carousel, and contains Candy Cane Lane, Winter Glow, Snowflake Cookie, Icicles, Bundle Up and Spiced Orange tea lights, plus 4 votives.

I know this thread is headed Portrait jars, but as we are talking Yankee large jars generally, have you all seen the new collections in the standard range coming in 2017?

Yes, and they all have my name on them!

I am still awaiting the second drop of my WJ AD trio. Awaiting stock. I rang yesterday and they reckon it could be about a month late. I asked if that meant it would be cancelled then, as they said that for the last USA set which was delayed, but she said not. I am still annoyed with myself for missing Steven's reply when MeCharlie asked if they would be bringing more WJ sets. Also surprised to see SCW's latest list of new sets includes an As Is WJ set. I don't think I have ever seen YC do As Is before. I already got that trio and the green one was cracked so I got a partial refund.

Hopefully, unless there are new Autumn UK scents in this week, there will be no trios to tempt me. The stash is taking over!! As I am having my kitchen done the place is in chaos so I have not been burning the usual jars, so I have not made any inroads recently!

Yes, and they all have my name on them!

I am still awaiting the second drop of my WJ AD trio. Awaiting stock. I rang yesterday and they reckon it could be about a month late. I asked if that meant it would be cancelled then, as they said that for the last USA set which was delayed, but she said not. I am still annoyed with myself for missing Steven's reply when MeCharlie asked if they would be bringing more WJ sets. Also surprised to see SCW's latest list of new sets includes an As Is WJ set. I don't think I have ever seen YC do As Is before. I already got that trio and the green one was cracked so I got a partial refund.

Hopefully, unless there are new Autumn UK scents in this week, there will be no trios to tempt me. The stash is taking over!! As I am having my kitchen done the place is in chaos so I have not been burning the usual jars, so I have not made any inroads recently!

They do sound nice, don't they? I will have to have strong will to resist some of them, although I'm not wild about the Coastal Living ones because those beachy/sea scents all smell a bit too similar to me.

Oh yes, they are on QVC tomorrow, aren't they, hence the other post from SCW about new sets (which I am fortunately able to resist so far).

How much longer to wait for the new kitchen to be complete?

Very nearly there, thanks for asking. BUT it seems my new fridge is a rarity which they cannot easily source so am still waiting for that, hopefully coming tomorrow, although it was promised for today after I suggested an alternative etc etc. Tomorrow the glass splashback should be done, and then it is just a question of getting the blind done. Mind you, it,will take me ages to dismantle the so-called temporary kitchen in the living room and then I shall have to shampoo all the carpets and clean the Windows. Plus I am having to replace loads of things like saucepans and baking trays to have nice new clean things rather than manky old ones so lugging loads of shopping back (from the DHS, should have ordered from Q!!!!!). All the old stuff was in the spare bedroom so that has been a tip for weeks and I am now surrounded by bags for the charity shop. So I am pretty shattered from all that but mainly fridge related stress, for which I have just consumed most of a bottle of wine which I shall finish off whilst watching Chicago PD!!!!! It does look nice though!

I would normally go for the Coastal Living, but I've a lot of oceanic scented candles to burn first. I'm still stalking the last lot of pure essence candles (white tea, verbena and vanilla) which I love, but I'm not paying QVC's £50 for the set of large candles (not including the P&P) as by the time you add in the postage, there's not much reduction from full price... I live near enough to Brent Cross, so will be going in their shop opposite John Lewis for a cheeky sniff very soon.

Lots of the WJ ones appear to be reduced on at least 2 of the YC websites... maybe a sign they are being discontinued?

Mazza - there's no hope for your candle addiction... I hope your lovely-sounding new kitchen includes plenty of storage for candles? I bet it will feel glorious when you've got everything cleaned up and renewed.

Thanks may! The candles are all stashed upstairs out of sight.

Hope you are wrong about WJ!!!! But I am a bit worried.

Well, it does sound like you are nearly there at least. I mean, I know you have all the clearing up and finishing off to do but the end is in sight. It's the thought of the things you describe though that puts me right off getting my place done. I had better stock up on wine!

Like the sound of the Coastal Living ones and the Cherry Blossom. Enjoyed my trip to the Yankee shop in Bluewater, it was nice to be able to smell a lot of the ones I'd been deliberating about on QVC.

Very nearly there, thanks for asking. BUT it seems my new fridge is a rarity which they cannot easily source so am still waiting for that, hopefully coming tomorrow, although it was promised for today after I suggested an alternative etc etc. Tomorrow the glass splashback should be done, and then it is just a question of getting the blind done. Mind you, it,will take me ages to dismantle the so-called temporary kitchen in the living room and then I shall have to shampoo all the carpets and clean the Windows. Plus I am having to replace loads of things like saucepans and baking trays to have nice new clean things rather than manky old ones so lugging loads of shopping back (from the DHS, should have ordered from Q!!!!!). All the old stuff was in the spare bedroom so that has been a tip for weeks and I am now surrounded by bags for the charity shop. So I am pretty shattered from all that but mainly fridge related stress, for which I have just consumed most of a bottle of wine which I shall finish off whilst watching Chicago PD!!!!! It does look nice though!

It will be worth all the upheaval when it's done and all looking lovely. You can christen it with an extra special candle, when it's complete!

Latest posts

Back