Yankee Portrait Large Jars

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

These have just arrived (already logged into spreadsheet :nod:) and in the Lakeland bag! Autumn whatever (gathering?) is a very nice fresh perfume, quite like a cologne. I love that type of candle. The other two are just about as foodie as I can go but I am pleased to say they are in the pain au raisin/Tarte tatin neck of the woods and not caketastic vanilla. So quite acceptable to me.

:mysmilie_59:

Mine came this morning too and I agree with your descriptions. Autumn Gathering is very much like (the same as?) Blissful Autumn of a few years ago - even the wax and label have the same colours. It is cologne-y, yes. I do like most baking and food scents so I knew I'd like the other two - I can smell a bit of liquorice in the Caramel Apple Cake and a hint of coffee in the Candied Pecans, both of which soften the sweetness so I can see why you like them despite not being a foodie candle fan usually. I am a happy bunny. BUT I really must NOT get any more candles before the last AD in Nov/Dec so please don't post any more finds, you lot!

Haha, I know what you mean. I am allowing myself the UK new scents as well as this US AD but must try to rein in the purchases of Portrait jars and other bargain sets they bring in. I have just checked my account and the second drop of the World Journeys is due this week, but is currently awaiting stock. Thank goodness for that, I say!

And I agree about Blissful Autumn, but luckily I really liked that.

Haha, I know what you mean. I am allowing myself the UK new scents as well as this US AD but must try to rein in the purchases of Portrait jars and other bargain sets they bring in. I have just checked my account and the second drop of the World Journeys is due this week, but is currently awaiting stock. Thank goodness for that, I say!

And I agree about Blissful Autumn, but luckily I really liked that.

Let's stand together! Trouble is, I can't help myself and I am always checking online.

Reluctantly, I cancelled the AD of the WJ trio I think you are talking about (if you mean the one which will contain Californian Redwood and a Eucalyptus one). I have so many of the sharp/fresh/foresty ones which I feel these are and they are not my absolute favourite. I had to be sensible for once! I liked the original trio (Italian Limoncello, etc) so I'm pleased I got those. Please let us know what you think when yours arrive though - I won't be ordering so no danger but I like to hear views.

I got that Redwood, Eucalyptus, Alaskan Lights (gorgeous, very lavender) as a separate set. I can't remember which set was the original drop for this AD from May (did it have Pacific Coconut perhaps?) but this drop has Spice Island Holiday, XMas in Paris (had it last year and burnt it for Christmas, really nice and piney) and Arctic Glacier. Well I had to get it for that one as it has been in the photo for the wrong set for so long, I must try it!.

I bought the recent Down on the Beach set. I decided to just burn them all together, and it makes a pleasant mix, as the Sangria is fruity (which is just about as foodie as I can go with candles) but tempered by the more fresh and oceanic notes of the Warm Waves and Sand & Surf.

I also bought the Lovely Day duo - which get a massive thumbs-up from the sniff test. Haven't set a match to them yet though - I will probably burn them together, as I think they will go really well.

I was in Brent Cross shopping centre earlier this week and popped into the YC shop (which has moved to a slightly smaller shop opposite John Lewis - a higher traffic area than their previous location) and had a sniff of some of the more recent candles. The Passionfruit Martini appealed to me, but predictably the Rhubarb Crumble smelled like stale cake to my nose (as pretty much all the cake and cookie fragrances do) - shame as I love rhubarb.

At the moment, I really feel that QVC have upped their game with the Yankee Candle sets... loads more US sets, and very good prices on many of them. Far too much temptation if you like candles, unfortunately!

I got that Redwood, Eucalyptus, Alaskan Lights (gorgeous, very lavender) as a separate set. I can't remember which set was the original drop for this AD from May (did it have Pacific Coconut perhaps?) but this drop has Spice Island Holiday, XMas in Paris (had it last year and burnt it for Christmas, really nice and piney) and Arctic Glacier. Well I had to get it for that one as it has been in the photo for the wrong set for so long, I must try it!.

You are right - the original set which had the imminent Auto Delivery option contained Pacific Coconut, Italian Limoncello and New Zealand Wild Berry (705647) and the AD which you are expecting and I cancelled was Spice Island Holiday, etc. Part of the reason for cancelling was I already had a full jar of Christmas in Paris from a set last year too. A shame they can't include WJs they haven't done before because there are enough of them.

I bought the recent Down on the Beach set. I decided to just burn them all together, and it makes a pleasant mix, as the Sangria is fruity (which is just about as foodie as I can go with candles) but tempered by the more fresh and oceanic notes of the Warm Waves and Sand & Surf.

I also bought the Lovely Day duo - which get a massive thumbs-up from the sniff test. Haven't set a match to them yet though - I will probably burn them together, as I think they will go really well.

I was in Brent Cross shopping centre earlier this week and popped into the YC shop (which has moved to a slightly smaller shop opposite John Lewis - a higher traffic area than their previous location) and had a sniff of some of the more recent candles. The Passionfruit Martini appealed to me, but predictably the Rhubarb Crumble smelled like stale cake to my nose (as pretty much all the cake and cookie fragrances do) - shame as I love rhubarb.

At the moment, I really feel that QVC have upped their game with the Yankee Candle sets... loads more US sets, and very good prices on many of them. Far too much temptation if you like candles, unfortunately!

I very nearly went for the Beach set myself - can't remember how I talked myself out of it now. Interesting to hear your comments as on the website the one review is only one star (not that I take that much notice of Q reviews). I also googled the scents and someone was saying the Sand & Surf was a bu99er for smoking, however short she trimmed the wick and after a very short time. I thought that was significant as didn't someone on here (Autumn?) say quite recently that there had been complaints about another Yankee with 'beach' or 'sand' in the name which was prone to smoking or sooting? I wondered whether there was a particular ingredient used to make the beachy smell which was causing this? I take it you haven't had a problem with S&S?

I STILL have not got around to going to Brent Cross despite someone (you?) telling me about the Yankee shop. I really must go soon.

And I completely agree about QVC's recent offerings. Some of the prices have been unbeatable too (certainly the large jars - personally I find their votive and melt sets overpriced when you work it out). Time will tell whether I find them decent quality as I have yet to burn most! I hope I'm not going to be disappointed.

I very nearly went for the Beach set myself - can't remember how I talked myself out of it now. Interesting to hear your comments as on the website the one review is only one star (not that I take that much notice of Q reviews). I also googled the scents and someone was saying the Sand & Surf was a bu99er for smoking, however short she trimmed the wick and after a very short time. I thought that was significant as didn't someone on here (Autumn?) say quite recently that there had been complaints about another Yankee with 'beach' or 'sand' in the name which was prone to smoking or sooting? I wondered whether there was a particular ingredient used to make the beachy smell which was causing this? I take it you haven't had a problem with S&S?

I STILL have not got around to going to Brent Cross despite someone (you?) telling me about the Yankee shop. I really must go soon.

And I completely agree about QVC's recent offerings. Some of the prices have been unbeatable too (certainly the large jars - personally I find their votive and melt sets overpriced when you work it out). Time will tell whether I find them decent quality as I have yet to burn most! I hope I'm not going to be disappointed.

We had a thread on here a while back where a number of us recounted dreadful problems with the smoke-fest which was Golden Sands which was introduced, I believe, due to the popularity of Pink Sands. GS is not a patch on PS in the aroma stakes.

I've been burning the Sangria, Warm Waves and Sand & Surf for 4-5 hours today and I'm not getting any smoking issues, and I'm using neither a shade nor an illuma lid... Of the three candles Sand & Surf has burned the deepest across, and the most even. The wicks on all 3 have mushroomed somewhat, but I rather expect that with 4 hour + burn.

We had a thread on here a while back where a number of us recounted dreadful problems with the smoke-fest which was Golden Sands which was introduced, I believe, due to the popularity of Pink Sands. GS is not a patch on PS in the aroma stakes.

I've been burning the Sangria, Warm Waves and Sand & Surf for 4-5 hours today and I'm not getting any smoking issues, and I'm using neither a shade nor an illuma lid... Of the three candles Sand & Surf has burned the deepest across, and the most even. The wicks on all 3 have mushroomed somewhat, but I rather expect that with 4 hour + burn.

Thanks. Of course - Golden Sands. I knew it was something like that. It appeared in another trio recently and reading what you refer to put me off that set too. Good to know your new Beach set is performing well.

My house warmers don't tunnel but I always have a residue down the sides. THis is worse with a shade than the illuma lid. The World Journeys, however, leave nothing down the sides, a really excellent burn in all the ones I have used.

I do not get a lot of smoking into the room but I always use a shade or a lid. Sometimes they get pretty dirty though.:mysmilie_59:

Did you like all of the candles in the Redwood, Eucalyptus and Alaskan Lights set? Your ringing endorsement of the World Journeys candles is making me want to try them! :nod: I like fresh candles best, florals (if not too heady), and fruity (if not too foodie!) Really like the sound of the set with Xmas in Paris in it, too, shame that's not available separately, but will keep my eyes peeled.

This thread has been an education to me, just googled wick mushrooming, as hadn't heard of that before! Glad I read this about Golden Sands, as have been debating about a set with that fragrance in it.

My house warmers don't tunnel but I always have a residue down the sides. THis is worse with a shade than the illuma lid. The World Journeys, however, leave nothing down the sides, a really excellent burn in all the ones I have used.

I do not get a lot of smoking into the room but I always use a shade or a lid. Sometimes they get pretty dirty though.:mysmilie_59:

My husband and I treated ourselves to a Moonlight house warmer for our anniversary. We love the fragrance, but it has left a lot of residue (as in, a good couple of centimetres thick) around one side of the jar, and smoked quite a bit, although it's not in a draft, we burnt it for 4hrs at a time, and kept the wick trimmed. It looks as if the wick isn't central, so didn't know whether that might have caused the problem? Have you all found that the Illuma lids make a difference? Am thinking I might have to invest! :mysmilie_59:

Some of the WJ candles are quite light. They have been criticised for lacking a scent in some collections. I like them but you should be aware of that as I always have a melt on the go. But I also burnt Christmas in Paris last year and it was strong. Of the set in question, the one I like least is California Redwood as instead of deep and woody it is a quite sharp and tangy. Of course it may not burn that way. The other two smell really nice.

I was very sceptical when they first showed the illuma lid and then got one to have a try. I think I wanted to make a free postage threshhold! Well I have now bought another. I really think they do their job and if I see any candle is thinking about tunnelling, I slap on an illuma lid. They do not remove every bit of residue but certainly in my experience, they have helped. For shooting or smoking though, I think the shade will catch more.

But my best accessory is the wick trimmer, IMHO. Saves all that faffing about with clippers or scissors. Marvellous. And the snuffer rather than trying to blow out the flame and not hit the wax.

I agree about World Journeys candles being easy to look after because they pool so well. It has to be the two wicks - same with Village Candle jars.

I definitely recommend Illuma-Lids. In my experience, they undoubtedly help stop tunnelling and they also really help keep the flame low and steady (ie stop guttering, if that's the right word for a very wobbly flame). I nearly always use one. I have some candles from various brands which just will not pool to the outside though and then I resort to wrapping the jar in foil, which I learnt on here. It doesn't look great but works to get the candle pooling property. Quite often, if a candle has not pooled after 4 hours, say, I use foil till it pools and next time I don't need it because the wax is "back on track". I have a jar holder which is not by Yankee but it does a similar though not quite as efficient job to the foil because it keeps the wax warm - and it looks a lot better.

I must admit, I sometimes think managing my burning candles is a full time job. If candle maintenance were an Olympic sport, I would get gold!

I agree that the Iluma lids help the jar candles to pool quicker, just make sure you change them regularly, or at least clean to soot off regularly because I had one, and it caught the flame....luckily I was in the room at the time and noticed the flame suddenly whoosh out of the top of the lid!!!

I agree that the Iluma lids help the jar candles to pool quicker, just make sure you change them regularly, or at least clean to soot off regularly because I had one, and it caught the flame....luckily I was in the room at the time and noticed the flame suddenly whoosh out of the top of the lid!!!

EEEK! What caught the flame, the soot?

Goodness, it would never occur to me that that could happen. I did once set fire to a melt warmer though! It was one of those where the tea light sits in a cradle which holds up the melt bowl, and the tea light is within a little pot. It was a set of three TSV. I looked round and flames were coming out of the pot, licking the sides of the melt bowl. I had a complete panic and ended up with a bowl of water and a wet tea towel trying to move it. I couldn't blow it out cos the melt was in the way, and I couldn't move the melt because of the flames. So I scooped it all up in a wet tea towel and binned the lot. I now use electric ones!!!!

Makes sense. If you use a real fire and don't periodically sweep the chimney, you risk a chimney fire. After all, we burn coal, coke and charcoal - and all they are is carbon!

Currently burning my Golden Sands large jar. I'm having a bit of an "open the cupboard and see what's there"...

I may expose my shame to you all in due course :mysmilie_465::mysmilie_466::mysmilie_857:

I should say, I really do like Golden Sands... not as much as Pink Sands. Nice and warm... can't describe it very well... I wish I had perfume notes for this candle.

On YC US site it talks about "Your private beach awaits, where time pauses in soft breezes of soothing sandalwood, luminous orange flower, and warm tonka beans"

Goodness, it would never occur to me that that could happen. I did once set fire to a melt warmer though! It was one of those where the tea light sits in a cradle which holds up the melt bowl, and the tea light is within a little pot. It was a set of three TSV. I looked round and flames were coming out of the pot, licking the sides of the melt bowl. I had a complete panic and ended up with a bowl of water and a wet tea towel trying to move it. I couldn't blow it out cos the melt was in the way, and I couldn't move the melt because of the flames. So I scooped it all up in a wet tea towel and binned the lot. I now use electric ones!!!!

This has given me pause for thought too. I wouldn't go out and leave a lit jar candle or votive but I have nipped to the shops and left a melt warmer with a lit tealight. I won't in future!

Latest posts

Back