Yankee Candles TSV 15/02/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've just had to look up my old post! The candles are stored away. I found the cherry blossom a very fruity floral and the wild mint like a sprig from the garden. The linden tree was very floral too imho, redolent of Lily of the valley. But that was all on a very cold sniff. I obviously won't be burning them for many months....

I saw that jar on the UK YC official site at £15 (plus postage) which I didn't think was too bad as YC stuff is usually quite substantial. I bought a little candle holder in Lidl, bargain price, tapped it against something and it smashed to pieces! So not such a bargain in fact.

:mysmilie_59:

I've just had to look up my old post! The candles are stored away. I found the cherry blossom a very fruity floral and the wild mint like a sprig from the garden. The linden tree was very floral too imho, redolent of Lily of the valley. But that was all on a very cold sniff. I obviously won't be burning them for many months....

I saw that jar on the UK YC official site at £15 (plus postage) which I didn't think was too bad as YC stuff is usually quite substantial. I bought a little candle holder in Lidl, bargain price, tapped it against something and it smashed to pieces! So not such a bargain in fact.

Thank you for checking and reporting back! Can always rely on you and some other helpful feedbackers (feeders-back?) on here. I think I might get the jar duo and Tranquility holder then. They were down to 150 (or so DF said) last night so may need to act!

I agree about the quality of YC products, especially the accessories. They tend to be beautifully made, sturdy and finished to a high standard. They can be very dear though, unless you spot them in a sale.

I really like the wild mint. Fresh, not too overpowering. The cherry blossom is nice too. They are my current favourites. Personally don't like the linden tree and family complain when I light it......

I really like the wild mint. Fresh, not too overpowering. The cherry blossom is nice too. They are my current favourites. Personally don't like the linden tree and family complain when I light it......

That's it - decided! I dodged the last TSV with the 3 of them so this duo with holder (706754) has got my name on it - I have been very restrained (for me!) with candle purchases so feel I deserve it. The only one I have found to smell in a shop is the Linden Tree and I wasn't that keen on it either. I wish I could remember what it reminded me of that I already have.

Groupon (yes, I'm a groupon groupie) have had a few excellent yankee deals on recently, however, you can't choose the scents. I got 8 car fresh thingies for a tenner and I paid £4.99 for one in Asda. Just burning flowers in the sun - my new favourite.

CC

I love that fragrance.

Aren't these US scents rather than the new UK ones? I shall get them if they are large jars (natch!!!!!) at a good price.

I am currently burning Lavender Vanilla and Bundle Up. Well I think Bundle Up is LOVELY!! And it has a fantastic throw too, almost drowning Lavender Vanilla.

I recently finished Tarte Tatin which I did like and Pain au Raisin. Well, talk about tunnelling in the latter. I was digging out embankments like there was no tomorrow. And the flame was really tiny. I was glad to get rid of it.

Agree, a really gorgeous fragrance.

{Rubs hands with glee} you've come to the right place on this forum!!!!!!!

I will start but the heavy guns will no doubt join the fray.

Tunnelling: what happens when you don't let a candle burn to the sides of the jar. That means you have a liquid pool right across the jar.

Preventing tunnelling: burn jar in a draught-free location. Use an illuma lid or one of the other jar top items, such as a hurricane lantern... Or improvise with tinfoil.

Remedying tunneling: remover the wax til it is at the same level as the inner pool surrounding the wick. Preferably create a slight dip so the wax slopes downward slightly towards the glass.

I use a table knife to create the slope and a spoon to scoop out the additional wax (save it to melt as a tart, or reserve to add back in once the candle is burning and the wax molten).

My experience is that illuma lids are the best tunnelling prevention aid, and if you don't have one use tinfoil to create a collar around the rim of the jar which should cup the aperture and reduce the open area above the flame.

I await the real experts but what I describe worked very well for me, based on others' advice.

Since we got an illuma lid and relocated our candles to somewhere else in the room, the beautiful, even burn we've achieved has been a thing of beauty to behold! :nod:

This is the black holder I'm using. I see it's described as gold, where mine is definitely more subtle a pattern and almost appears just a mottled black. I got it with a discount code for about £10-11.

http://www.hallmarkthorntons.co.uk/yankee-candle-gold-glitter-swirl-jar-holder.ir

I am also tempted by this which I saw on QVC last night, especially as I want a Cherry Blossom candle (Wild Mint not getting much praise though, if I'm right?) and in my head I work it out as £15 a jar and £13.45 for the holder, which is just about acceptable to me. The holder looked lovely with tealights in too, which they demonstrated, as it glows beautifully.

http://www.qvcuk.com/Yankee-Candle-...54&uattrmb=NV0CSNULL&ddkey=http:CatalogSearch

That was a really good value set.

Love the Cherry Blossom and haven't lit the Wild Mint yet, but I wasn't keen on the Linden Tree either. Had that horrible heady white floral thing going on, I found it a bit choking to be honest! Never having heard of a Linden Tree, I had no idea what to expect. Agree with whoever it was who said it's a powdery fragrance, too. Will give it another go, but I'm not overly optimistic.

I have just googled "What does the Linden Tree smell like?" I am a bit shocked by some of the answers as people are saying it smells like sperm! Sorry!!!!

I have just googled "What does the Linden Tree smell like?" I am a bit shocked by some of the answers as people are saying it smells like sperm! Sorry!!!!

That made me snort out laughing at my desk at work - everyone is eyeballing me now, hilarious!!!!!

I see the linden tree is what we more commonly call a lime tree. I have a bloomin' great lime tree in my garden (due it's triennial cut shortly - there goes another £300!) and although it is reputed to have an intoxicating smell, I can't say I've noticed. I've certainly not stood in the back garden when it's in full leaf and thought, "ooh, sperm!"

I have never stood in the garden and thought "oooh sperm" either. :mysmilie_19: I thought LT smelt of Lily of the valley, something else I would not associate with sperm!!

By the way, that duo with the glass jar is looking even better value today at £37.50 as they also have a one in the All Is Bright style, with one large AIB candle for £33.50, so another £4 gets you an extra candle! I hope you got it AndiK.

I have never stood in the garden and thought "oooh sperm" either. :mysmilie_19: I thought LT smelt of Lily of the valley, something else I would not associate with sperm!!

By the way, that duo with the glass jar is looking even better value today at £37.50 as they also have a one in the All Is Bright style, with one large AIB candle for £33.50, so another £4 gets you an extra candle! I hope you got it AndiK.

I love you, Mazza! Bless you for making me feel much better about my guilty pleasure. Yes, I did order the set and I see it's been despatched so I'm quite excited. (I have missed that buzz when Yankees are due, even though I don't need them.) I did think about it first and I always do a cost breakdown. At least my bargain-spotting faculties are still intact.

I'm finding this thread fascinating, being new to the joy of Yankee candles. Thank you for all the information.
Now, what is an embankment, please, & how do you build one? :cheeky:

I'm finding this thread fascinating, being new to the joy of Yankee candles. Thank you for all the information.

Hee hee, you'll be hooked before you know it, Breeze!

Hopefully you will never have need to 'build an embankment', but if you do (despite hours of careful burning and tending, using all the right kit, the cursed candle just will not burn all the way to the glass and starts to tunnel - this is a BAD thing as it means you'll get considerably less burn time from your none too cheap candle) then the trick is to wait until the candle has cooled enough so the wax has hardened enough that you can easily carve it - take a bog standard kitchen knife and from the edge of the hollowed out area, angled slightly downwards towards the glass, cut out a ring of un-melted wax. You will then be left with the smaller circle of wax surrounded by a sloping edge (hence 'embankment') the theory being, when the candle is lit again, the molten wax runs down the sides and pools, thereby warming up the wax underneath and giving it a chance to melt properly and also giving the wick a bit of space to burn properly.

Not sure this makes sense, but ask away if you have any questions ;)

You have our sympathy, Breeze - once you start, it's quite hard to stop.

I use a slightly different method than the embankment so I'll let someone else describe that*. It is useful information in case you ever get a tunneller. But see this thread below where it all started, Tarketta's post 85 on page 9 onwards):

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/show...Jars&p=867531&highlight=Embankment#post867531

* Ah, Tarketta has already replied above, sorry!

You have our sympathy, Breeze - once you start, it's quite hard to stop.

I use a slightly different method than the embankment so I'll let someone else describe that*. It is useful information in case you ever get a tunneller. But see this thread below where it all started, Tarketta's post 85 on page 9 onwards):

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/show...Jars&p=867531&highlight=Embankment#post867531

* Ah, Tarketta has already replied above, sorry!

Thanks AndiK, I was going to rootle through to find my original post but decided re-writing was the less arduous option (I'm having a dull day at work, so my motivation is lacking!) remind me though, what's your alternative method as I'm always on the lookout for hints n tips??????

Out of interest, has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to a YC before? I was burning Fresh Cut Roses on Sunday and it was like really bad hayfever, most peculiar?!

Thanks AndiK, I was going to rootle through to find my original post but decided re-writing was the less arduous option (I'm having a dull day at work, so my motivation is lacking!) remind me though, what's your alternative method as I'm always on the lookout for hints n tips??????

Out of interest, has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to a YC before? I was burning Fresh Cut Roses on Sunday and it was like really bad hayfever, most peculiar?!

Well, my usual method is not that different really and sometimes I use the method you describe. My preferred way, though, is to ease the wax away from the side of the jar while it's still warm, usually when the candle has just been extinguished. This would not work if there were a wide/thick collar of wax at the sides, only when it's melted to about 1cm away, maybe a bit more. Anyway, when I ease it away from the side, a gutter is created for the hot wax to run into next time and of course it won't take as long to get there with the smaller circumference. Sometimes, if the wax is still very warm and the outer collar is just a few mm wide, as I ease the edge wax towards the middle, the hot wax runs into the gutter straight away - this can be helpful too, but only if the candle was only just struggling to pool. In the case of candles which just seem to want to tunnel every time, no matter how hard you try, my latter way is not much use and I think the only thing to do is cut out the wax when it's cold. If the candle behaves better after that, sometimes you can drop bits of the cut-away wax back in so as not to waste it and to make the candle last longer.

Having said all that, I've just realised how little I've had to resort to embankments of any kind lately. I am sure the holders are my saviours.

Well I have just been into the Love Aroma shop in Leeds and had a smell of Linden Tree, I can categorically does not smell like sperm!!!! I can't say I loved it and certainly didn't like the mint which surprised me as I thought I would love that. I am at the moment burning the cherry blossom in a melt and it's beautiful. I wish I had stocked up on quite few more of them actually, it really is divine!

Thanks again, it's a real learning curve but a lovely one.
The two large jars that I got for £8.99 each from the outlet are Sparkling Snow & Winter Glow, both white. They had a few different ones so was just a random choice really, not lit them yet as I haven't had the requisite four clear hours yet.

Well I have just been into the Love Aroma shop in Leeds and had a smell of Linden Tree, I can categorically does not smell like sperm!!!! I can't say I loved it and certainly didn't like the mint which surprised me as I thought I would love that. I am at the moment burning the cherry blossom in a melt and it's beautiful. I wish I had stocked up on quite few more of them actually, it really is divine!

I'm dying to try Cherry Blossom - it sounds perfect to me, exactly my taste. Unlike Julia Roberts, I love anything remotely cherry-scented (and flavoured, come to that).

I didn't answer this but no, I can't say I have ever suffered an allergic reaction. I have thought a candle gave me a bit of a headache, but it could have been that I was getting a headache anyway and I associated the candle with it. I absolutely detest Midnight Jasmine and even thinking about it makes me imagine a headache. I can't believe how popular it is but often in shops, when people are sniffing the jars, they comment how lovely it is so I know I'm the odd one out.

I hate the smell of jasmine flowers. I had a jasmine pot plant but had to give it away because of the scent.

Latest posts

Back