Yankee Candle TSV 12/4/19

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't know if it was a thread but there was a discussion some time ago. There was also an item on Wax Addicts saying they had had some differences and were parting company. But the last I heard they were staying and Was Addicts website was updated on those lines too.

There was a candle test in the paper today. I don't know the science but it was about the level of noxious particles, or whatever, in the burn and YC were the worst. They tested those soya ones which
have those coaster type lids and, IMHO, the extremely dated labelling. Apparently YC disputed the findings.

I saw the article but didn't read it. What will kill me first? My log burner, sausages, coffee, wine, whisky or yankee candles?? More likely to get run over by a combine harvester which regularly trundle past my front door.

CC

the yankee soy wax mix and all the other high end waxes are high pollutants. what can one do I love scented candles I am burning my mega fave Snow In Love

Well it didn't stop me burning two housewarmers last night and a world journey in the afternoon! I don't have any of their soy wax candles, too dear!!! But I doubt any of them are as bad as my cigarettes and the fact that I live in an area of London with high nox levels.

I saw the article but didn't read it. What will kill me first? My log burner, sausages, coffee, wine, whisky or yankee candles?? More likely to get run over by a combine harvester which regularly trundle past my front door.

CC

Ooh, no, candycane - stay indoors by the fire with a tipple and relaxing candle burning. Stay safe!

TBH I have always wondered about the toxic air from candles. Particularly when blowing out a candle and the smoky burnt residue which permeates the air afterwards. On occasions I like the small votives, as I tend to get 'nose-blindness' with anything larger, and like plug in air fresheners the smell disappears.

I wonder if the adverse article will affect sales of Yankee Candles who came out worst in the survey.

I read the article and then looked up the dangers of scented candles on the internet and it has put me off.

I really like the Yankee Candles large jars and have enjoyed burning them this Christmas and afterwards.

I have about four large jars left and once these are gone I won't be buying any more scented candles.

Well it didn't stop me burning two housewarmers last night and a world journey in the afternoon! I don't have any of their soy wax candles, too dear!!! But I doubt any of them are as bad as my cigarettes and the fact that I live in an area of London with high nox levels.

I had to laugh at one of the comments underneath the article which just says “Don’t care....”.

Ooh, no, candycane - stay indoors by the fire with a tipple and relaxing candle burning. Stay safe!

Yes the old CHs are rather big buggers and we live on a blind bend as well! Log fires and whisky is much more civilised.

I could die of a hundred thousand things and I very much doubt smelling a yankee candle is top of the list.

CC

Thanks for those replying regarding the leaving QVC thing. I have been a Yankee user for a very long time (back when you had to bring it back from the US) and so am gratified to learn it is not the case.

I'm in shock that there are significant numbers of people still buying Yankee Candle. Almost everyone i know moved onto Bath and Body Works candles a few years back.

I just got to the stage where weak throws were getting silly. I watch lots of American youtubers and it's pretty much the same frustration in the US with performance issues, high prices and dull fragrances.

I don't know if it was a thread but there was a discussion some time ago. There was also an item on Wax Addicts saying they had had some differences and were parting company. But the last I heard they were staying and Was Addicts website was updated on those lines too.

There was a candle test in the paper today. I don't know the science but it was about the level of noxious particles, or whatever, in the burn and YC were the worst. They tested those soya ones which
have those coaster type lids and, IMHO, the extremely dated labelling. Apparently YC disputed the findings.
I read a few articles recently about cooking Sunday lunch creating high levels too.
https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/food-drink/a26402717/sunday-roast-air-pollution/

I love Sunday lunches and then burn a candle after to hide the food smell, oh dear!

I read a few articles recently about cooking Sunday lunch creating high levels too.
https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/food-drink/a26402717/sunday-roast-air-pollution/

I love Sunday lunches and then burn a candle after to hide the food smell, oh dear!

:mysmilie_17: What next? Washing clothes, having pets, kitchen compost waste, Mr CC's foot odour?? I mean why don't they just leave us alone? I note wasting money on shopping channels won't kill you, only bankrupt you. No one says paying your TV license or council tax is hazardous to health and JUST DON'T DO IT OR YOU'LL DIE.

CC

I'm in shock that there are significant numbers of people still buying Yankee Candle. Almost everyone i know moved onto Bath and Body Works candles a few years back.

I just got to the stage where weak throws were getting silly. I watch lots of American youtubers and it's pretty much the same frustration in the US with performance issues, high prices and dull fragrances.

I might be buying other makes too if I didn’t have such a lot of candles (not just Yankee) to use up. But I do find YC superior on the whole to all but the dearest brands. I’ve not tried B&BW, though - the name is familiar but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them, in fact.

I don’t have such a problem with the throw of Yankees - some, yes - but I do think they can be repetitive now. My biggest problem is pooling. I have had only one or two candles from other makes which didn’t tunnel or just drown the wick. Terrible waste of money. It’s pretty rare with Yankees for me (an example being those sets of small jars the last year or so, which we put down to skinny wicks).

I might be buying other makes too if I didn’t have such a lot of candles (not just Yankee) to use up. But I do find YC superior on the whole to all but the dearest brands. I’ve not tried B&BW, though - the name is familiar but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them, in fact.

I don’t have such a problem with the throw of Yankees - some, yes - but I do think they can be repetitive now. My biggest problem is pooling. I have had only one or two candles from other makes which didn’t tunnel or just drown the wick. Terrible waste of money. It’s pretty rare with Yankees for me (an example being those sets of small jars the last year or so, which we put down to skinny wicks).

Totally agree re this, a friend bought me one of those expensive Rituals candle and the sodding thing just will not pool properly and just tunnels straight down. Not even my tried and tested embankment method makes any difference, plus the throw is crap too!

I totally agree with the Yankee repetitive smells. You either get that caramel smell or cinnamon if it's a Christmas one or a sort of vanilla/buttercream smell. They all used to be very different but now they're not. I do still have my favourites such as Berry Trifle, Garden Sweet Pea, Lovely Kiku, Flowers in the Sun and Turquoise Sky. They are still very un-samey. I don't care what the "experts" say about poisoning ourselves, if I want to have Yankee in my house then I'll do it. But what if they poisoned my departed dogs? No, that was cancer and liver failure. Yikes, what if the candles caused the cancer? The vet would have laughed me out the door. What if the budgie died because his cage was near the Yankee??? Nope, he was 12, telegram from the Budgie Queen he was that old.

I am not dissing people that are shocked and won't burn candles or logs or coal of course. Everyone should do what they feel is best for them.

CC

Latest posts

Back