Yankee Candle Set of 2 On the Beach Large Jars OTO

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am currently burning Golden Sands and boy did it tunnel! The flame just covered the wick and the whole thing was a disaster. First time this has happened in absolutely ages. However, I had just bought an Illumalid so decided to try it out as a tunnel prevention device. MAJOR SUCCESS!!! Candle saved, yay!

My mother in law loves Kiwi Berries, so I've sent her the link to this.

I've had no end of bad luck with Golden Sands. I've burnt two (a year apart) and both have ended up sending ash clouds around my living room, which has resulted in it settling everywhere and a thorough clean of the room.

I am currently burning Golden Sands and boy did it tunnel! The flame just covered the wick and the whole thing was a disaster. First time this has happened in absolutely ages. However, I had just bought an Illumalid so decided to try it out as a tunnel prevention device. MAJOR SUCCESS!!! Candle saved, yay!

My mother in law loves Kiwi Berries, so I've sent her the link to this.

I've had no end of bad luck with Golden Sands. I've burnt two (a year apart) and both have ended up sending ash clouds around my living room, which has resulted in it settling everywhere and a thorough clean of the room.

Interesting you both had bad experiences with Golden Sands. I bought it because I loved Pink Sands, but I've been very disappointed with the throw of fragrance, and the wick "mushrooms" excessively. I do use either one of the illuma lids or a clear ripple-effect shade, so have not seen any tunnelling problem. Maybe the formulation of this candle or the oils used cause a problem.

Yes I always use a shade, so I was surprised at how badly this burnt. I was just pleased that I had decided to buy an Illumalid and that it worked!

Golden Sands update. I burnt this with Summer Scoop which finished Weds but there is still 1/3 of the GS left. Today it suddenly decided to belch out a ton of black smoke!! Straight through the hole at the top of the shade, awful. So I may have to bin the last bit. I do all the stuff they recommend so this is a bit of a surprise especially so far into the candle. Shame cos I really liked the smell but this has been the worst YC burns I have ever had.

Golden Sands update. I burnt this with Summer Scoop which finished Weds but there is still 1/3 of the GS left. Today it suddenly decided to belch out a ton of black smoke!! Straight through the hole at the top of the shade, awful. So I may have to bin the last bit. I do all the stuff they recommend so this is a bit of a surprise especially so far into the candle. Shame cos I really liked the smell but this has been the worst YC burns I have ever had.

Very odd but dont bin it , use the remaining wax in a tart warmer.

I am sure that Golden Sands was on a TSV autodelivery last year. I seem to remember someone saying on this forum that they burnt it and it exploded with black stuff all over her bathroom. I am finding that more and more of the Yankees are tunnelling and smoking badly and don't have much scent. Has anyone read the reviews for the Grand Bazaar collection ( Argan Oil etc?) They are shocking and loads of people are complaining about the decline in quality of the candles.

Wow, I just checked out those Grand Bazaar reviews! They are pretty bad! Like the Scentbeads - which I have never bought because of the numerous one stars (plus I don't like the look of them). I do have that set but nowhere near burning them as I have a large stock of older ones in the cupboard and do them in strict order, lol. I burn two candles at once and a tart so hopefully will get some smell. Tunnelling is not usually an issue for me except for this GS one and I hope the Ilumalid will rectify that in future if necessary as it did this time. I think my GS candle came in a U.S. Specials set, probably early last year or late 2013.

Actually l think it was a lady on Twitter who tweeted Rosa about the exploding 'golden sands' jar now l think of it. ( l know lots of you on here don't care for Twitter but l quite like it at times. Not a fan of Facebook though). Anyway, anyone else want to look at reviews for the Grand Bazaar collection the item number is 703898.

Wow, I just checked out those Grand Bazaar reviews! They are pretty bad! Like the Scentbeads - which I have never bought because of the numerous one stars (plus I don't like the look of them). I do have that set but nowhere near burning them as I have a large stock of older ones in the cupboard and do them in strict order, lol. I burn two candles at once and a tart so hopefully will get some smell. Tunnelling is not usually an issue for me except for this GS one and I hope the Ilumalid will rectify that in future if necessary as it did this time. I think my GS candle came in a U.S. Specials set, probably early last year or late 2013.

Was it the Lost in Paradise set? Golden Sands, Midnight Oasis and Honeydew Melon? That's the one I got with it in.

I think that like most things recently either the price has gone up or the quality has gone down.
I don't buy Yankee from Q but have brought from the DH and have found that over time the quality of both the burn and fragrance has gone down on several of the large jars that I have burnt .
I have stopped burning any of the jars now and only use the tarts as there is no waste with them and if I want a stronger sent i just burn 2 at once, and I can blow them out when ever I like so no waiting until the wax pools right across the top, which on some medium/ large jars just never happens.

I think that like most things recently either the price has gone up or the quality has gone down.
I don't buy Yankee from Q but have brought from the DH and have found that over time the quality of both the burn and fragrance has gone down on several of the large jars that I have burnt .
I have stopped burning any of the jars now and only use the tarts as there is no waste with them and if I want a stronger sent i just burn 2 at once, and I can blow them out when ever I like so no waiting until the wax pools right across the top, which on some medium/ large jars just never happens.

Yes this is exactly what I do now! I have not even bought a large jar this year which is unheard of for me! I used to buy a couple a month. The last one l bought was Christmas Eve and it was so much weaker than the original which l got a few years ago. Yankee have definitely changed something if you ask me. The quality is nowhere near what it used to be.

Yes this is exactly what I do now! I have not even bought a large jar this year which is unheard of for me! I used to buy a couple a month. The last one l bought was Christmas Eve and it was so much weaker than the original which l got a few years ago. Yankee have definitely changed something if you ask me. The quality is nowhere near what it used to be.

I completely agree! It's such a shame that when they've obviously been cutting costs, the fragrances have suffered. The situation with the Golden Sands is rather bizarre - it does have the side benefit for Yankee / QVC of boosting sales of illuma lids and shades. Personally I much prefer the illuma lids (easier to tidy away than the shades are).

I buy a jar very rarely, and if there are tarts/melts for the same fragrance, I'll tend to go for those instead.

I am sure that Golden Sands was on a TSV autodelivery last year. I seem to remember someone saying on this forum that they burnt it and it exploded with black stuff all over her bathroom. I am finding that more and more of the Yankees are tunnelling and smoking badly and don't have much scent. Has anyone read the reviews for the Grand Bazaar collection ( Argan Oil etc?) They are shocking and loads of people are complaining about the decline in quality of the candles.

I have the tarts versions of the grand bazaar fragrances so can't comment on the candles, but the throw on the tarts is dire. It's a shame because oud oasis and the argan oil one smell absolutely gorgeous the first time you melt them, but the second time the scent from them is almost non existent.

Yankee have really gone downhill for me, the newer fragrances have such terrible scent throws. Even the older fragrances like Clean Cotton etc definitely have a weaker throw than they used to. They must have changed something in the mix, less fragrance equals more profit I suppose!

Latest posts

Back