Yankee advice for removal of used wax

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Took delivery of a couple today, a stack of paper cake cases don't work as the heat doesn't get though, and with only two the wax seeps though.
The glass saucer from the Yankee dancing fame glass burner doesn't get hot enough at the base, to melt the wax tart.
Next going to try some of those white tea cup silicone cases to see if they will work ok.

well I have bought silicone dessert moulds from Lakeland and they melted as if they weren't made for heat, more so cold! DOH! name kinda gives it away!! double DOH! next I bought Tesco Silicone Cupcake Cases on the pretext that these are intended for oven use, therefore heat. These worked but when you take the case out of the burner in the morning to swap the tart, whilst it comes out easily there is a residue of thin flaky wax on the outside as if the silicone cases are porous. (My £ shop only had mini tiddly cases like you'd make chocs in). Gonna give silicone a miss then!

So today I just put a tart straight in the burner and melted that. When I'd had enough I switched it off to go cool. Once totally cold and "set" it was like it was glued in, solid, not shifting at all, so I got a bit cross. So I thought I know I will just remelt it then, but instead I switched the burner on for about 1 min then got a pointy knife from in the kitchen drawer and pushed it gently down the side, it broke off slightly with white bits and then VOILA whole thing popped out neatly and CLEANLY. Wiped the burner out with a tissue and then put a new tart in.

If this works again tomorrow no silicon cases etc are needed, just reheat for a matter of 1 min and then push it out. :eek:) be careful with your fingers though cause when you push you are infact going against the tart burner bowl bit which is of course heating up!!!!

Last edited:
No silicone cases in the £ shop with me, but I did get a pack of foil cases and I also picked up a pack of stainless steel condiment dishes in case the foil's a disaster. I'll be trying them when my soy tarts arrive

I went to Poundland to get some silicone cases but they looked big and garish to me but then I spied some very tiny ones (the size of Thornton's chocolates) so I got them some of them.

I crumbled some of a tart into 2 of them, which I admit was a bit messy, however it was quite successful and 2 gave off enough fragrance for quite a large room. Would also be good for mixing and matching fragrances too as you could use two different ones.

i went to my £shop and bought a little pack of "Chutney Dishes" they were metal dishes and there was 8 in the pack - and they obviously cost £1 LOL. They work fab!!!! One tart melts into it but fills it to the brim so rather than risk spillage I broke the tart in half and then put one half into two dishes, one in each of my tart burners. FABBO!!!! They pop into the fridge overnight and next day out drops the tart and off you go again. Mega chuffed with these TSVs now I have sussed the wax removal out after burning my fingers and melting silicone lol. So impressed!!! and house smells yummy - got Wild Passion Fruit on the go now, gorge!

Last edited:
Oh dear just read this review from the TSV tart warmer, poor woman.

Her review reads:

Powerful fragrance but don't pour out to clean.

"This is my first experience of the fragranced tarts and can't believe how strong they are compared to the candles.
Have to 'burn' them in another room or its a bit too strong.

Don't do as the presenter said, and tip the melted wax out of the heater to remove it.
It does not pour well at all.
I made a terrible mess of the heater (sink and worktop!) and in trying to clean it, dropped and smashed it!
I'd only had it a day!
Very annoyed with myself.
I would suggest soaking the dregs with kitchen roll rather than trying to pour out.
"

Well I just knew it would be an accident awaiting to happen, that's a huge shame.
It was a great deal of a burner and tarts, but what a waste when concern could not be given to easily getting rid of the used wax.
If I could be completely honest I would have paid slightly more or had less tarts included, in order to have a little removable dish to simply pop in the freezer.

If I were Michaela reading that I'd feel so very sorry because of the advise I'd given, afraid I'd have to get QVC to help me get a replacement one out to her.

I did pour it out into a little plastic bag and it was fine. Am going to look for the little silicone cases though

I would imagine that with the eletrical tart burner that the silicone cases are being affected as the element is right under that area, a lot closer than a tealight is in a normal tart burner therefore the case is getting much more intense heat.

Snowstorm, if you have a poundland near you pop in there, I bought a pack of little metal dishes they had a label on them saying "chutney dishes". There was 8 in the pack. These are perfect as you can put a whole tart in (but it fills it too the top when melted, doesn't overflow or anything but is right up to the top) or as I do (as I bought two burners) break one tart into two - and put half in each. When finished just take out the little dish (when the wax is cool and solid) put it in the fridge and then voila when really cold the wax just pops out. I spent over £14 on two different types of silicone moulds but they melted on the bases and the wax came through as if the heat made them porous. These chutney dishes from poundland only cost, you guessed it, a £1 LOL and work fab!!

Last edited:
I would imagine that with the eletrical tart burner that the silicone cases are being affected as the element is right under that area, a lot closer than a tealight is in a normal tart burner therefore the case is getting much more intense heat.
I'm using the silicone cases with no problems but I only have it on for a maximum of 2 hours.

Thank you Spooky. Wll have a look in poundland. Quite like to have wander in there to see what they have.

Update In The Search For The Perfect Dish

Silicone white cupcake cases with the additional non cook saucers, just don't look right in the burner.

Another no no.....

The Gu desert ramekin glass dishes measuring 7.5 cms, are just a little to wide to sit on the base and easily rock in the well.
As it doesn't sit on the base of the well, I haven't bothered to attempt to melt a tart in the ramekin.
Oh well got to sample a desert in the process.

Fingers crossed will be posting a positive outcome shortly .................. just awaiting delivery of another item to try, shame it doesn't involve sampling another desert though.

Last edited:
Utility has mainly been my concern and my silicone cases are bright orange which makes the tart burner look a little like a boiled egg with yoke at the top. Modern art?

I was using the electric tart warmer with a True Rose tart and after about half an hour the scent had gone and the smell was really awful, my first thought was the the burner was smelling but it turns out it was that particular tart and must have been one from a bad batch. I thought I'd mention it in case anyone experiences the same problem and may blame the tart warmer - I nearly did.

Latest posts

Back