Winter white

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
Q presenters are always rabbiting on about wearing winter white (thoughout the winter!).

What is your opinion on wearing white on a cold wet UK winter?

In years gone by there were things that were real no no's which are now very common especially with young 'uns - coloured bras under see through white tops, black tights with white shoes , wearing white unless very sunny, come to mind.

Come on, show your age and tell us your memories of fashion rules.

My rule is 'if you have to ask whether it's suitable, assume it's not'. Simple as that. That seems to keep it classy most of the time.
I'm neither a 'young'un' or an 'old'un', and I've seen plenty of people of all ages making what 'society' might call gross fashion mistakes. And sometimes they look blimmin' good on it!

For what it's worth, I think winter white can work really well, especially on bright a snowy day. Personally I wouldn't go white all over (but I wouldn't do that in summer either!) but I've had winter white sweaters with jeans, a winter white fleece, hat, scarf, mittens and I like to think it looks good.

My wedding dress was winter white. Not bright white but not as yellow as ivory.

I think winter white thick padded coats can look very nice, but I wouldn't wear as it's impractical...would show up even the slightest dirty mark.

I think the texture of the fabric makes winter white work or not. A warm cashmere winter white jumper or a pure wool winter white coat etc would look ok but some light weight fabrics not so.

I have 2 winter white padded coats and just keep washing them. Occasionally I am out somewhere and I notice that the inside of the sleeves ate grubby. Sometimes there are marks at the bottom where a young child has hung on to my coat!
I now have a new black padded coat but really prefer the winter white ones. Err I also have a full length black one and a knee length brown one.

When they are too shabby, I use them as Housecoats or as winter gardening coats.

I like them because they are so light. I also have 3 padded waistcoats for spring/autumn.

Winter White can look very nice. However, as I live in London and use public transport, the colour becomes winter grey too quickly!!! Too much of a risk here, you go out and come back with a mark on it and the impact is ruined. And not all marks come out easily so it becomes a pain.

Wearing black with brown was always taboo in my youth.

My mum hated the fashionable layered look as it reminded her of times when you had to wear everything you had to keep warm. And it is back in fashion now. I personally don't like the longer shirt below a cropped jumper look.

Showing your bra straps was a def. no. I was always at pains to choose clothes that covered them, sometimes obsessively. Don't like showing them now, even by accident if a top slips. Hangup!

Mixing tartans can work but you have to be really careful you don't look clownish.

Winter white suits my colouring but a coat is a def. no no as stated above.

Wearing black with brown was always taboo in my youth.

My mum hated the fashionable layered look as it reminded her of times when you had to wear everything you had to keep warm. And it is back in fashion now. I personally don't like the longer shirt below a cropped jumper look.

Showing your bra straps was a def. no. I was always at pains to choose clothes that covered them, sometimes obsessively. Don't like showing them now, even by accident if a top slips. Hangup!

Mixing tartans can work but you have to be really careful you don't look clownish.

Winter white suits my colouring but a coat is a def. no no as stated above.
I must come from the same camp as your Mum. I find it very difficult to get my head around young pregnant women wearing tight cropped tops , bare belly on show with jogging bottoms tucked underneath their bump or wearing very tight dresses which makes them look as if they have a beach ball tucked under it with an added bump of sticky out bellybutton showing through the tight fabric. I`m not saying pregnant ladies should hide under huge tents as we did when I had my oldest son 40 years ago but I live right opposite a nursery and primary school and some of the maternity outfits I see are eye watering.

I don't wear white period, I look awful in it. Same for black as a rule, but I will wear a black coat.

When I was young I wanted to wear black and my mum refused and made me wear brown instead. I actually look a lot better in brown

When I was young I always wanted a pair of red shoes but my mum who was very strict wouldn't let me have them. I now realise of course that when money was so tight black or brown was much more sensible albeit devastating to me!

Even though I am 60+ I always make a beeline for any red leather article (only yesterday I drooled over a red leather chair). And although I do now own red shoes my OH calls them my "slapper shoes". A red handbag is a lovely thing.

I must come from the same camp as your Mum. I find it very difficult to get my head around young pregnant women wearing tight cropped tops , bare belly on show with jogging bottoms tucked underneath their bump or wearing very tight dresses which makes them look as if they have a beach ball tucked under it with an added bump of sticky out bellybutton showing through the tight fabric. I`m not saying pregnant ladies should hide under huge tents as we did when I had my oldest son 40 years ago but I live right opposite a nursery and primary school and some of the maternity outfits I see are eye watering.

Well I just qualified for free prescriptions due to my advanced age, but I was only thinking the other day how much I like the fact that pregnant women nowadays parade their bumps rather than hide them under voluminous garments. The girls I work with wear the tightest of clothes even just days before they produce, and I love it. Personally I can't imagine anything more ghastly than being pregnant or having kids, but I think it's great that today's mums are "out and proud".

Blue and green should never be seen was the mantra in our house but today I am wearing blue and green together.

As for pregnant women whilst I don't think they should hide themselves under tents I still don't like bumps out and in my face.

The old rules for fashion were very restricting weren't they.

Shoes and bags must match - thank god that's gone
Never navy and black - now so trendy
No clashing - now colour blocking (but perhaps that is so very last (2) years!
High heels with jeans? Not sure this ever works except in boots?

Uggs/emus/Birkies with dresses - not for me but maybe Uggs with thick tights/Birkies with very short sundresses but not your normal MS or Kimmy dress despite what Glenn may say

I think the full saying is along the lines of "Blue and green should never be seen except with beauty in between" No idea what that means or what would qualify as "beauty" in this context but I've always quite liked blue and green together.

I wish people would wear more colour. Come Septemeber/October there's a sea of grey and fawn (ie not as trendy as taupe) where I live; I wish people were more confident with colour.

My Nana used to say "red hat no knickers" (not sure what no hat would mean!) and could spot "cheap shoes" a mile off.

We used to say, fur coat and no knickers, meaning all posh on the outside but questionable underneath!

Isn't it amazing how calling something one colour is sooooo old fashioned but calling it something else is soooo trendy. Beige and taupe is the classic.

Winter white doesn't suit me - I need Persil white!!

I stick to a colour palette and sometimes it's hard to get brighter colours, especially in winter when everything is grey, fawn, sludgy green etc. I can wear grey but browns, creams, olive etc. a no-no.

I've always been a bit wary about white trousers as they can be very unforgiving, especially with the wrong underwear. Bra straps showing always used to be a no-no, and as for knicker bands sticking over the top of jeans - well :sun:

I never wear white at all. It gets dirty easily and I'm a pretty messy person and get my clothes covered in dirt quickly as it is. I'm not exactly slim enough to wear it either, I'd look ridiculous. I tend to just wear black, navy and dark purple, I look stupid and enormous in anything light or colourful.

Interesting that a couple of posts have mentioned 'blue and green should never be seen'

I was always told that 'red and green should never be seen' my nan said it signified the wreaths during the war.

Not at all fussed on sandals/peep toe shoes with tights
Don't like legs and boobs on display - one or other is quite enough lol!
Don't like pink and orange together

As for winter white, thinks thats fine in autumn and winter but fabrics and colours with it have to be appropriate.

Latest posts

Back