Winter white

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Cobalt blue is one of the colours for autumn and spring so hope for the splash of colour lovers. I look dreadful in any of the beige/camel/light grey tones.

Red and Green should never be seen - except on the back of a Fool. That's the saying I'm familiar with. I love blue & green together :)

I wore red for my wedding and the ladies who do the church's flowers asked me about colours so that they could do matching displays for that week (bless em) They were genuinely happy with the red dress but asked whether I was superstitious about red with white, apparently it sybolises the red and white wartime bandages. I hadn't heard of that but I'm not in the slightest superstitious; has anyone heard that about red and white?

I wore red for my wedding and the ladies who do the church's flowers asked me about colours so that they could do matching displays for that week (bless em) They were genuinely happy with the red dress but asked whether I was superstitious about red with white, apparently it sybolises the red and white wartime bandages. I hadn't heard of that but I'm not in the slightest superstitious; has anyone heard that about red and white?

Mum and auntie used to talk about hospital flowers in the day when nurses put them in vases for you but would separate red and white ones as they symbolised flesh and blood.

I wanted red roses with my winter white wedding dress but my mum stopped me. She said it was blood and bandages too. I had blue delphiniums and white roses instead.

I wanted my bridesmaid to wear a peasant-style gingham dress and carry a posy of flowers in the 70s (my dress was kind of Edwardian) and my father absolutely refused because "no daughter of his was walking down the aisle in gingham". I think it was because gingham fabrics were what the poorest of the poor were supposed to wear. My mother told me that a dress I had with see-through sleeves was tarty in the sixties and redheads shouldn't wear red. I love red and wear it at every possible opportunity now I'm not red any more. Same applies to see-through - very nice with something non-see-through underneath. (I draw the line at bras only). I love my winter white coat and tart it up with coloured hats, gloves and scarves. It washes and dries overnight. I'm a colours person, basically. Beige washes me out.

They were genuinely happy with the red dress but asked whether I was superstitious about red with white, apparently it sybolises the red and white wartime bandages. I hadn't heard of that but I'm not in the slightest superstitious; has anyone heard that about red and white?

Mum and auntie used to talk about hospital flowers in the day when nurses put them in vases for you but would separate red and white ones as they symbolised flesh and blood.

Yes, as nurse of 36 years standing, I can confirm that red & white flowers are traditionally a 'no no' in hospital. They are thought to be unlucky as they are symbolic of blood on bandages. You would find nurses in the sluice surreptitiously plonking a daffodil or something into vases of reds & whites!
(Another thing they would do is to open the window when somebody died, to allow the soul to make it's way to heaven!)

When I married in 1973 I had a white wedding dress and my bouquet was red roses, white freesia, lily of the valley and greenery. I must confess My Mum wasn`t happy about my colour choice of flowers but I stuck by it.
As for the red and green should never be seen etc. A friend of mine married on Christmas Eve and she wanted Christmas colours everywhere. Some of her bridesmaids wore bright red satin dresses, some wore Christmas green satin dresses, her wedding dress was white but with red and green embroidery on the bodice and she wore a red velvet cape over the top of it. Her 6 tier cake was in the shape of Christmas presents stacked on top of each other, red and green again. She lives in America and had around 8 bridesmaids and the tables were decorated with Christmas trees, crackers and presents. I must say her red/green/white theme looked fantastic in the photos and really fitted in with the Christmas theme.

Well I thought the saying was blue and green should never been, without another colour between. And then red and green should only be seen upon an Irish Queen.

And I wouldn't send a red and white flower arrangement to someone in hospital as it definitely symbolises blood and bandages to my mind.

'Blue and green should never be seen' - this rule seems to have totally gone out the window.
Black with a colour makes the colour look cheap - still totally true, but often ignored
Never black and navy together - Our favourite, Glenn Campbell, was jabbering on about how 'Parisian' black and navy together are, so this rule is clearly passé

Thankfully all the old rules about colours are now well past their sell by date.

However some of the way clothes are worn and combinations of things are a bit dubious to say the least and are probably best left to the very young who luckily can get away with most things.

What does get on my goat is the tripe Q presenters and guests come out with in the name of fashionistas.

Latest posts

Back