Which words/phrases would you bann?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

"The lip area"

The lip area? What? A lipstick for the lip AREA? NO! It's the lips!

Drives me mad.

These are great! Keep them coming! I will then write a spoof shopping TV demo that employs all of them and put it up on Youtube! I'm going to add some more:

"Well done if you got yours!" (How patronising to the people who got it and annoying to those who didn't).
"You don't have to pay for parking." (I never do anyway cos I ride a bike so just SHUT UP YEH!) - you only have to pay £5.95 P&P!
"When it's gone, it's gone." (I particularly hate this one, what I think they are trying to say is "When this has sold out, there will be no more available."
"I wouldn't want you to miss yours." (like they're speaking to someone selectively rather than addressing millions via a mass medium. So you want ME to get MINE, am I to believe that you don't want Enid down the road to get hers?
"Buttery soft" (said of leather). So is it "margariney soft if it's faux leather?"
"Leatherette!"
"Heavenly sleep wear" (I thought it was some overpriced flannel PJ's).
"This will really help with / work on / target X." (OK but what will it actually DO? Why aren't you saying that?)
"Taboo health solutions."

claire needs to check the prices out before she buys a coffee in a cafe.....she saidshe couldnt remember what she paid but it was more than what she was seliing at that moment....there is usually price lists in coffee shops im sure...you get the gist...the amnount of times they have used ...price of a sandwhich ..cake etc...mcdonalds are cheaper for a cuppa tea or coffee :cool:

Add to your jewellery wardrobe - I take it that is another US expression but my jewellery is quite happy with a chest of drawers thank you very much.

"The lip area"

The lip area? What? A lipstick for the lip AREA? NO! It's the lips!

Drives me mad.

I always remember the LD show when AY referred, for about the fifth time, to us being "able to use the product on the nail area" - and Leighton said very drily "Yes, I'd definitely recommend you use nail polish on the nail area"!

I like AY but she should listen to herself sometimes.

If I could choose just one word never to be heard again on QVC it would be CELEBRITIES.

I couldn't agree more. Don't know why people aspire to them so much. I can't think of a single celebrity I would bother to urinate on if they were on fire!
If I could choose just one word never to be heard again on QVC it would be CELEBRITIES.

I would bann:

" This piece", when referring to a product, its not a piece!! its a dress, coat, blouse etc

"pop of colour" whats that all about?

"Colour Way/s", Just say it comes in green,blue etc, not it comes in two different "Colour Ways"

Add to your jewellery wardrobe - I take it that is another US expression but my jewellery is quite happy with a chest of drawers thank you very much.

Never heard that expression from friends in US, must be a QVC UK "ism". Just like jewellery collection as if we're Jackie Kennedy, Princess Grace, the Queen, etc.

I dislike the way Debbie Flint breaks down a TSV or set price (usually beauty) and says it's "blah blah pounds per one." Very clunky phrase.

Alison Young saying "FULL SIZE" at every given opportunity. Charlie Brook saying "Out of this world" everytime he's on with Michelle Hope.
Jill Franks telling us "It's very busy on our phones" all the time. Chuntley having an orgasm over every product while saying every thing is "soooooooooooo lovely" and "sooooooooooooooooo special" and telling us to "Please get yours while you can"
Also the other day when Chuntley was on with JW when some cellulite cream went "Limited Stock" she begged "Please save one for me" she does this a lot.

Last edited:
One that's creeping in for AY which really annoys me is..

"If you don't want it then that's ok"

Erm, ok, thanks for clarifying that for me!

I wish the presenters would stop saying about instead of taking a bottle of wine to someone's house ,take a gift (the item there selling at the time of course). Julia has just said it about a £28 peony arrangement , what world does she live in !!!

Anne Dawson - The phones lines are busy busy busy
Jilly Halliday - Bye Bye now Bye Bye
Allison Young - I keep one at home, one in the car, one in my dressing room, one in my handbag, one on the horse or separate them out give one to a friend, one to your childs teacher, one to the milkman, one to anyone that passes your house.
Jill Franks - You know me I'm such a girly girl
All presenters - Tap the App

I wish the presenters would stop saying about instead of taking a bottle of wine to someone's house ,take a gift (the item there selling at the time of course). Julia has just said it about a £28 peony arrangement , what world does she live in !!!

If anyone comes to mine for dinner, please bring me a bottle of wine and not some peony flaaaars. No matter how much it costs. A lovely fruity number from Lidl will do just fine.

Lol these are so true! Very well observed!
Anne Dawson - The phones lines are busy busy busy
Jilly Halliday - Bye Bye now Bye Bye
Allison Young - I keep one at home, one in the car, one in my dressing room, one in my handbag, one on the horse or separate them out give one to a friend, one to your childs teacher, one to the milkman, one to anyone that passes your house.
Jill Franks - You know me I'm such a girly girl
All presenters - Tap the App

Latest posts

Back