Where are Debbie Greenwood & Julian Ballantyne?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Presenters are self employed, there is no such thing as redundancy or consultation periods.

Well something isn't right somewhere about this whole matter! Ballantyne wouldn't just leave QVC. If I'm not mistaken, Graham from this site interviewed him not so long ago and Ballantyne gave clear indication of his intentions to stick around. I think QVC is trying to save a few quid and their (assumed) putting Ballantyne and Greewood on garden leave is simply a way to facilitate their departure in a low key manner. Far be it from QVC to admit to declining profits. You know what they are like. Every thing is always glossed over and presented in the most positive light. Another possibility is that the matter may be going through legal action. That may be another explanation for the silence. It's unlikely though. My gut feeling is that QVC are trying to save a few quid to balance out their books and would rather not admit to facing such a challenge. One only has to look at the recent changes (increased hard sell, increased easy pay, fewer innovative / new products, far less jewellery / expensive things ), all of which smack of desperation.

On facebook quite a few did phone CS and ask? They where directed to emailing in their query and never received answers.

Since Julian only did part time for many years, I doubt his wages would be as high as others who do far more. I will say AY is one of the highest paid as she brings in sheds loads of money for Q. Wasn't it said recently in an article that beauty was 30% of Q's money, so it must be the biggest seller for them, hence so many beauty days and shows.

I am still thinking its contracts, less money offered and they both decided to play chicken and QVC won. If QVC did say contracts failed the non-stop but Julian and Debbie are worth it pay them would have started. Easier to ignore the Where Did X and Y go?

Last edited:
In that case I am going to call them and demand to speak to a manager. They are clearly using avoidance tactics. I may also visit Chiswick some time. I go there fairly regularly.

Julian's never got over not winning The Crown auction last October! You can identify with that Strato? Sadly Jules couldn't let it go and obsessively purchased any crown emblazoned goods from Pompoos and Butler & Wilson. The Priory is helping him work through his addiction but it could take a while!

Nobody's irreplaceable, I don't think I'd miss any of the presenters including Debbie Greenwood and Julian Ballantine (who I met at an event day and thought he was a nice bloke). I think too many of the presenters think they are in with the bricks...Alison Young. It's the buyers who are the crucial commodities who are important, in my opinion. If QVC get hold of an exclusive product at a good price that everyone wants, they are worth their weight in gold. I would happily give them all their marching orders if it were up to me and just use guests who know their product inside out,

Debbie Greenwood tweeted earlier : It is true that I am on leave. Discussions are being held.x

Hmmm well about flippin time! Disgraceful that it has hitherto been kept so secret. If she's on leave it will be either a disciplinary or more likely an contractual related matter.

But... playing Devil's Advocate, it really isn't any of our business why Debbie and Julian are no longer presenting.

It's nice to know but QVC is a business and it does not need to explain its decision making to us, the customer... only the shareholders may be interested but, even then, it's an operating decision first and foremost.

Remember, they are not there to entertain or to make friends... they are there to sell and make a profit.

But... playing Devil's Advocate, it really isn't any of our business why Debbie and Julian are no longer presenting.

It's nice to know but QVC is a business and it does not need to explain its decision making to us, the customer... only the shareholders may be interested but, even then, it's an operating decision first and foremost.

Remember, they are not there to entertain or to make friends... they are there to sell and make a profit.

U forget how nosey we all are thou :angel::clapping:

Yeah, I'd like to know what's happened just as much as the next person but I'm not about to hound some poor employee in a call centre hoping they'll tell me something that QVC has decided not to comment on.

We might like to know, but we don't need to know...

Anyway, maybe Julian doesn't want a public discussion on his employment status that is going to remain in cyberspace for ever... this thread will now pop up every time Julian is 'googled'... I wouldn't want that for myself.

Last edited:
Nobody has been "hounded" as you so put it. And yes they do ****** well know what is going on. I don't want feigned ignorance, or to be fobbed off into writing an email to the very same department which answers the telephone calls. My questions were quite reasonable and were delivered in a reasonable and respectful manner. I didn't want an in-depth explanation of the circumstances, just a confirmation of whether or not they are still working for the company. I think it is downright disgraceful for QVC or any business for that matter to hope that a longstanding employee will just vanish into thin air. In the case of QVC this is insulting to the viewers. I understand that it is a difficult situation. If an announcement is made, it will generate a reaction. If no announcement is made, the reaction may be somewhat less. As for Greenwood and Ballantyne, I am not reqquesting to know their bank balance, or their blood type or what sexual fetishes they may have, I simply want to know why they have been absent from screen and whether of not they are employed by the company. They both have spent years working in the public eye and so should expect this. The question is really quite simple. The masses may be stupid / apathetic enough not to care / notice. I am not like that. I can see situation and have questions. Common sense and courtesy would dictate that QVC provide an answer.

What 'right' do any of us have to know why presenters are no longer presenting?

It is their personal business, their career and their reputation... nothing to do with us at all.

Yes we are curious but that is where it ends... decisions and information about employees is personal data and we have no right to know any of it unless it is offered.

What right do we have to know why presenters are no longer presenting? None, I should imagine. Though I would like to know why, (I am quite within my rights to ask) I was more concerned with the question of whether or not they are still employed there. They are are two quite different issues. The whole issue of their absence raises some interesting questions that probably sit quite uncomfortably with the QVC Management. We all know how they want us to see their organisation through rose-tinted spectacles. Well, I'm sorry, life isn't always like that. Clearly something has happened and they are trying desperately to shroud it in darkness. I just wish they would release some kind of statement rather than hoping it will all go away. Well it WON'T. I have the means and the tenacity to pursue this further. In light of Debbie Greenwood's earlier tweet, however, I will not do so. At least Debbie had the good grace to acknowledge the situation, which is more than QVC ever did. As for Ballantyne, he was in it for the long haul, so if he's vanished you can bet it was not though his own choosing. I do understand that QVC would not wish to bring attention to their problems, however I do feel that their handling of the situation could have been a little mindful of EVERYONE concerned, not least the millions of viewers that have tuned in and watched for many years.

It is their personal business, their career and their reputation... nothing to do with us at all.

Yes we are curious but that is where it ends... decisions and information about employees is personal data and we have no right to know any of it unless it is offered.[/QUOTE]

I think half the problem is that the presenters have been portrayed more towards being friends than presenters. That maybe the fault of social media and also QVC. They don't just present on the TV but give insights into their lives in the way of blogs etc. so its putting them a step closer to us. They are not friends or complete strangers but somewhere in the middle as we are told of their home life etc. Maybe we need to find a name for that - media friends perhaps?

Personally I never read any of the blogs as I am just not interested. They are not my friends and I won't ever meet them, but to me QVC try to make them our friends by way of the blogs. Maybe its a selling tactic, I don't know, but if they want us to think of them that way, then of course we want to know when a friend or "media friend" just disappears.

We are now on page 62 of this thread so I think we need some sort of answer.

Yes, to be honest for years QVC have banged on and on and on about QVC is a family. Welcome to the family.

The friendly presenters, the smiles, the tweet, call in. QVC encouraged that image, along with the lonely souls at home who can't get to the high street, we are here for you. Come to QVC we will sell you buckets loads of stuff you never even knew you needed.:angel:

I don't really care about Debbie, Julian was okay, but QVC cannot have it both ways. A presenter left say up to 6 months ago and it was the cake and wishing you well. I am not counting the ladies who went off to have babies and decided not to return(they didn't come back for their cake), Anthony went off to cruise the world, he got a send off. And even popped back in once or twice.

For me, I want the dirty laundry, the what went wrong, the greed or the meanness of the directors not wanting to pay long standing staff.

Latest posts

Back