Where are Debbie Greenwood & Julian Ballantyne?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Maybe they are rethinking after seeing all this kind of response????

Unlikely; QVC are a business and likely care little about what a relatively few number of viewers think.

There's been a long history of presenter who suddenly 'disappear'; it's likely that these two are soon to be added to that list.

The likely reason for the silence is a confidentiality clause in their contracts, which probably applies to QVC too.

Unlikely; QVC are a business and likely care little about what a relatively few number of viewers think.

There's been a long history of presenter who suddenly 'disappear'; it's likely that these two are soon to be added to that list.

The likely reason for the silence is a confidentiality clause in their contracts, which probably applies to QVC too.

I think you are absolutely right in that they will not care what anyone thinks as long as it doesn't affect profits in the short term. However, 4 presenters disappearing at the same time is unprecedented. Others like Sarah and Cloudia and Anthony and Gary Purden have gone but it has never been weird like this. Yes, Anna and Karmell eventually made the right noises and played the game. Perhaps they were given a decent pay off to keep quiet, who knows. But what a coincidence that they should all leave at exactly the same time of their own free will. Remarkable. Does anyone believe it for a second?
And you can say that a relatively few number of people are upset, but only a relatively small number of customers read this forum. Times that by the millions of people who watch and buy from QVC but don't get involved in forums and you have a LOT of puzzled and disappointed viewers who feel silly that thy have fallen for the hype of the QVC family. QVC , the company who cares....about profit.....clearly not about people. How many millions of pounds did their shiny new studios cost just a year ago? Julian and Debbie had been there for years and were really well liked. This is just not cricket and it leaves a sour taste.

QVC for years always tried to give the "We Are A Family" vibe, I even read this in a magazine it might have the Daily Mail???? The US group had it, oh you are one of us when you shop with QVC. The lonely and housebound, come join us. Yeah, I thought and my bum's a plum!!!!! They are a business here to sell stuff and that is it.

Just like Disney(what you think they all love kids and are a big family????), ruthless the stories that come out. You step in their way and the lawyers will have you by the throat.

The presenters blogs and tweeting on QVC, we love you keep in touch with us. Its all business and they want to sell you stuff. Just look at the people cut off for how dare use to much product and send back or too many products(even if they are returns and or faulty), you see the other side in fact the real face of QVC.

Things have got tough for QVC US and UK and the hard face is showing more and more. I know reading the QVC community on the US version some well loved presenters suddenly disappeared there too over a two year period. People still ask where is Dave(whoever)and a female presenter, I wish he/she was back. Just like Debbie and Julian long term presenters just disappeared. They are asked on the community page but never answer or on their Facebook page.

Yes, Anna and Karmell eventually made the right noises and played the game.

??? Anna had a farewell show in which, while no big fuss was made, but she was told she would be missed, had glowing testimony from Catherine and did actually announce that this was her last show. Carmel has gone to The Jewellery Channel, essentially a rival company. She was able to make an announcement just prior to beginning there, but under the circumstances you'd hardly expect QVC to make a big song and dance about it.

Forgive me Nicky but I think Donna has got it right and that you are being true to your "choosing to think the best of people" philosophy. To lose one presenter could be considered bad luck, 2 could be coincidence, 3 could make you think "what's going on here?" and 4 is unmistakably a cull.

QVC for years always tried to give the "We Are A Family" vibe, I even read this in a magazine it might have the Daily Mail???? The US group had it, oh you are one of us when you shop with QVC. The lonely and housebound, come join us. Yeah, I thought and my bum's a plum!!!!! They are a business here to sell stuff and that is it.

Just like Disney(what you think they all love kids and are a big family????), ruthless the stories that come out. You step in their way and the lawyers will have you by the throat.

The presenters blogs and tweeting on QVC, we love you keep in touch with us. Its all business and they want to sell you stuff. Just look at the people cut off for how dare use to much product and send back or too many products(even if they are returns and or faulty), you see the other side in fact the real face of QVC.

Things have got tough for QVC US and UK and the hard face is showing more and more. I know reading the QVC community on the US version some well loved presenters suddenly disappeared there too over a two year period. People still ask where is Dave(whoever)and a female presenter, I wish he/she was back. Just like Debbie and Julian long term presenters just disappeared. They are asked on the community page but never answer or on their Facebook page.

And in DM article they even used photo of one of the missing presenters!!!!

IYes, Anna and Karmell eventually made the right noises and played the game. Perhaps they were given a decent pay off to keep quiet, who knows.

Not sure they would be 'given a decent pay off to keep quiet'. All the presenters will have a contract valid for a certain time; in effect they are temporary workers for QVC. Before the end of that contract negotiations will take place to decide whether, and on what terms, a new contract will be entered into.

I can see a couple of scenarios; firstly there's an amicable discussion between the parties who agree that there will be no new contract - maybe this was the case with Anna and Carmell. The other scenario could be that the parties cannot agree either a new contract or new terms in which case the confidentiality clauses apply, the presenters 'disappear' and aren't allowed to comment on the matter. If it's the latter case we will likely never found out what occurred...

I don't think there was anything tempory about Julian B who had been on QVC for 20 years!! Or DG for 12 years, so why would they not be members of staff like normal people?? SOME of the presenters would be on short term contracts I imagine, but people like Charlie, and Dale, Kathy etc will be employees.

I thought all the presenters were self employed. If Julian and Debbie left on bad terms or if there is any legal action pending then they wouldn't get a mention on the FB page or on telly.

I don't think there was anything tempory about Julian B who had been on QVC for 20 years!! Or DG for 12 years, so why would they not be members of staff like normal people?? SOME of the presenters would be on short term contracts I imagine, but people like Charlie, and Dale, Kathy etc will be employees.

It's not unusual in many fields for people to work long term using temporary contracts; it can be beneficial for both employer and contractor.

I thought all the presenters were self employed. If Julian and Debbie left on bad terms or if there is any legal action pending then they wouldn't get a mention on the FB page or on telly.
I always imagined they would not be on a standard employment contract as the hours they work vary and a lot of the presenters do other work as well as being on QVC.

Forgive me Nicky but I think Donna has got it right and that you are being true to your "choosing to think the best of people" philosophy. To lose one presenter could be considered bad luck, 2 could be coincidence, 3 could make you think "what's going on here?" and 4 is unmistakably a cull.

Nothing to forgive, Spottybotty. Both Anna and Carmel started at the same time and so their contracts would most likely be up at the same time, so them leaving at the same time is not surprising. We don't know what has happened with Julian and Debbie, don't know when it might have happened (if it did), or when their contracts were/are 'up'. I'm not choosing to think the best of people, just not filling in the gaps in my knowledge with either positive or negative assumptions.
I, just like everyone else, have a 'pet theory' about what may or may not have happened (actually quite a few variations on it), but I can't see the point of airing those theories when we really have nothing but guesswork to go on. It's not about a philosphy or a mantra or anything else, save not wanting to go around and around in circles when there really is nothing to add.

Last edited:
Maybe Debbie Greenwood and Juliian Ballantyne are doing some gardening! I should point out that the correct term is "garden leave" and not "gardening leave," when an employee is given a period of leave, usually preceding redundancy.

Maybe Debbie Greenwood and Juliian Ballantyne are doing some gardening! I should point out that the correct term is "garden leave" and not "gardening leave," when an employee is given a period of leave, usually preceding redundancy.
According to the UK Government website (don't ask me how/why I know this) the correct term IS 'gardening leave'. I think both are perfectly acceptable.

Latest posts

Back