WEN Haircare TSV 27/4/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I used to use coconut oil back in the days when I'd chemically straighten, colour and heat style my hair. I also tried several other oils including avocado, camellia and jojoba and commercially prepared oils like Ojon and Elasticizer. They did keep my hair in fairly good condition, but 10 years on, my hair was screaming at me to do something different.

I changed to WEN - huge difference. Then I bought a Steampod and WOW! My hair now looks and feels fab. Wen is so much more gentle on my hair than my old regime of oiling, shampooing then conditioning. Even when I tried the no 'poo method my hair wasn't anywhere near as healthy as it is with WEN. I don't use as much as rec'd and, as Donna rec's, I make sure I rinse thoroughly. For me, perfect results (and my hair was so far from perfect I can hardly believe it now). I keep thinking it's a dream and I'm gonna wake up one morning back with nightmare hair!

Just ordered by phone on 0800 504030, item number 205237 - £40 and some pence including p&p. They said it should be with me by 2nd May.

I have baby fine, jaw length, dead straight, useless hair. It is layered and also highlighted. After washing with ordinary shampoo and conditioner I need to douse it in MOP Lemongrass Lift Spray, dry it upside-down and then style with a small round brush. Afterwards I rub in Ojon Animated Styling Cream and finish off with hairspray with my head upside-down again. If I don't do all this, my hair hangs lifelessly against my head because it has no body at all, but it's a ridiculous number of products to have to use. I'm very tempted by this Wen tsv, but am worried that my hair will become so soft that it will have no body at all and I'll just end up using all the same styling products again. I stopped using the Ojon deep conditioner stuff because it made my hair far too soft and unmanageable.
So, please any advice as to the suitability of Wen on my hair type as I have a feeling it might be more suitable for somewhat coarser hair? Many thanks!

Jacqualina, they do a Volumizing Spray but I gave it away as I don't need it. Wen does give soft silky hair.

Expensive and not on QVC but Phyto a French brand do a volume spray which I got free in a SpaceNK goodie bag. Since I don't need it gave it to a friend and she freaked over it saying it was best thing she had ever used. I just told her to use in the roots of hair only.

This is it and you only apply to the roots of the hair.

http://uk.spacenk.com/phytovolume-actif-spray/MUK200010032.html

Jacqualina, I have baby fine hair and it is poker straight but I've found having layers is the worst way to have my hair cut. It ends up looking so thin it's almost invisible having it longer and all one length makes it look almost luxurious by comparison. If I try an new hairdresser the first thing they suggest is layering and I can show them pics on my phone that blow that suggestion out of the water. I suspect having layers guarantees you'll have to return for regular trims.

Back to Wen, if I use ordinary shampoo (even a salon brand) I'd need to wash every other day, possibly daily as it looks flat even though it's not actually greasy. With Wen I can go almost a week and wake up with hair that just brushes back into the style I blow dried it into. Might be worth a try but you have to rinse thoroughly.

Jacqualine - although I've fought Crystal Tips floofy volume in the ends all my life, now I'm using a Steampod I want volume at the roots to stop it looking straightened. I've had luck with L'Oreal Professionnel Tecni Art Volume Architect http://www.feelunique.com/p/LOreal-Professional-TecniArt-Volume-Architect-125ml sprayed into the roots and through the hair (where it leaves it soft and smooth), and L'Oreal Professionnel Homme Sculpte Sculpting Paste http://www.feelunique.com/p/LOreal-Professionnel-Sculpte-Sculpting-Fibre-Paste-150ml run through to the roots as a last step. The paste is weird - if you clap your fingers you can see the little fibres forming.

The good thing about these items is that you can get your local L'Oreal hairdresser to apply them to see if they work before buying (that's how I tried them after being rec'd them).

Thanks for the ideas, I'll give them a try as I'm always looking for the best products for my hair. I should have added that although I have very straight, very soft, fine hair, I have loads of it, so the layering/thinning out helps to give it more volume once styled (as do the highlights). My hair was perfect in the sixties/seventies worn straight and very long with a fringe and I've had about every style since then. My cousin has lovely curly hair and dreams about having straight hair, so I suppose many of us are just not happy with what we've got.

Sorry Autumn but no not for me after using Wen.

Besides you still have to wash your hair with shampoo after the coconut oil or before reading earlier posts.

Like everything you will get great reviews people loving it but others who just did not get on with it. Remember the don't bother with expensive cleansers like LE and Elemis use the Palmers Coco Butter in the tub everyone was talking about on Facebook. Then they all started getting breakouts and clogged pours.

Perhaps you should try coconut oil before dismissing it?

Ive ordered the Tsv because I don't believe in knocking a product before ive tried it and a friend is going to split it with me so £20 each isn't so bad, I will let you know how I get on

I've used coconut oil and while it's a great conditioning treatment I'm not sure it'd rinse away cleanly enough on it's own. I'm bone idle, the attraction of Wen (as well as cleaning my hair well) is that I slap it on to wet hair, finish my shower and it's ready to rinse and doesn't take half an hour to comb out the tangles.

I've ordered mine (inspite of dithering) and I still may stock up in the Wen sale; it's a good price and it'll all get used eventually! I am weak....but I have shiny clean hair! :mysmilie_12:

I've used Wen and rather went off it after a while as bizarrely despite all the rinsing, my ends started to feel rather dry. I'm using a new version something at the moment from the high street that many people may dismiss (I would too!) but I've had visible results and combined with the Steam Pod, can't imagine I could do better.

Does anyone know if Wen would remove things like serums etc from the hair, being detergent free? Would these build up on the hair?

I've used Wen and rather went off it after a while as bizarrely despite all the rinsing, my ends started to feel rather dry. I'm using a new version something at the moment from the high street that many people may dismiss (I would too!) but I've had visible results and combined with the Steam Pod, can't imagine I could do better.

Does anyone know if Wen would remove things like serums etc from the hair, being detergent free? Would these build up on the hair?

I had no problems the first time I used it, I was using other brands and products but my hair was clean after the first time. I was using SLS etc free products so not sure if that made a difference?

I just imagine it would take a few washes each time to remove the coconut oil(as Akimbo said), I have my head over the bath and like to get it done and away.

I know Ojon has their own version of Wen now as well, no idea what its like as not turned up in Boots yet.

Latest posts

Back