Upselling

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Loverofquiet

Registered Shopper
I am used now to the annoying fact that when you ring to order product X, the telephone operator will then ask if I want to buy Y as well. No, I don't. If I wanted Y I would have dialled in for that.

What baffles me today is QVC's desperation to sell anything, however unrelated. In the past, Y was at least related to gizmo X so you could understand that if you order X you might just want a Y to make it better or more useful.

But today I rang to order Lock and Lock beakers, and was asked if I wanted to add Nail Envy to it. I am baffled as to why Q might think that when ordering beakers I could possibly say to myself "Nail varnish would be a great addition to my drinks containers".

Yes, but, there are a host of acquaintances who could use NE. Or, gift drawer. Seriously, bombardment increases stress and they need to stop it. The "joy" of home shopping is touted to be relaxing, enjoyable etc. Not when you feel you need a tennis bat to ricochet unwanted harassment, and that is what it is, harassment.

Gimme Gimme Gimme is what its all about get as much as you can from customers and QVC are just the same as the rest.

It reminds me of the old days of catalogues and you`d ring Littlewoods, Kays or whoever with your order and they`d always give you the spiel about "today`s special offer and would you like me to add the towel bale/egg cups/pillowcases (or whatever it might have been) to your order ?"
Long before the days of the internet and your new catalogue would arrive twice yearly and whenever your rang to order something there`d always be a new special offer.

I've noticed if I have looked at a particular item on Amazon or Q for example , when I'm on google the item keeps popping up or something related to it. I find that annoying. If I wanted it I would have ordered it!

Can't remember the last time I rang to order anything, so this has not happened to me yet!

i ordered the yankee tsv via the phone as you could not order the auto delivery online. he asked if i wanted some yankee sampler set. i said yes if its a free gift. obviously they were not but i wanted to embarrass him

I've noticed if I have looked at a particular item on Amazon or Q for example , when I'm on google the item keeps popping up or something related to it. I find that annoying. If I wanted it I would have ordered it!

That's those damn cookies! If you browse incognito it won't happen. Look in your settings on Internet Explorer or whatever browser you use. They're annoying aren't they? And spooky! !

This happenned to me once with IW .Years ago,cant remember what I ordered, probably a top but I was persuaded to buy some pillows on special offer. At the time it caught me off guard .They were cheap things . I never returned them but it put me off ringing and I never call to order nowadays.

The cookies are so annoying ,if I block them entirely then some web sites become difficult to use .I regularly clear them from my i pad.

I always associate up selling with low end shops ie when you are in poundland they always have stuff at the till which the poor girls are supposed to get you to add to your basket.

But then Q are becoming more low end in their tactics but not in their prices at least with PL it's only a quid and usually choccy.

I find WH Smith are the worst. Its not the fault of the staff - only doing what they're told, but like most other stores now, there is never any room on the counter to put your purse/bag, and then you get repeatedly asked if you want an on offer bar of choc, or if you have a store card - if not do you want one. WHY do I always feel awful when I refuse to sign up ???? I become quite pathetic and mumble into my chest, um not today thank you ! This once confident business woman is reduced to a cringing amoeba.

This really annoys me when l ring up and order something! No l don't want whatever extra it is they are trying to flog l want what l have actually rung up for and given the item number for thank you very much!!! It drives me round the bend!

i ordered the yankee tsv via the phone as you could not order the auto delivery online. he asked if i wanted some yankee sampler set. i said yes if its a free gift. obviously they were not but i wanted to embarrass him

The sort of customer no one wants!

If I order anything now, I order by Q-cut to avoid this pressure selling. On the odd occasion I order through the call centre and when they try to sell me something extra, I usually say, "no, thanks, don't you think I am spending enough already" what I really feel like is to tell them off, because it is so annoying, but I remember that they are only following orders from higher up.

On the rare occasion that I have rung the order line, I've never been offered anything other than what I've rung up to order. However, a few times when I have used QCut (my preferred method of ordering) the 'computerised man' has waffled on about something else that I might also like to buy and you can't hang up on him until he's finished because the order for the original item hasn't been confirmed.

Latest posts

Back