Update - coated diamonds!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

well done meesh good response to the statement from gems what would we do without this abrasive bling lover LOL

Gems should have taken some good old fashioned advice, honesty IS the best policy - a pity they cannot be honest about the majorty of their jewellery! Another saying is, give them enough rope and they will hang themselves - looks as if Gems has to keep on its toes - what with Rocks tv having a shopping channel now, and only a few clicks away from gems!! ;)

Has anybody emailed and had a reply regarding any of your items?
I emailed them and had a reply to say it had been passed onto the correct department and i will get a reply when they have all the information but i still haven't heard anything!

I emailed them on 2/12 GC but have had no response at all so far. :HUMP: Time for me to persue it now, what email address did you use hon?? :pPC:

No response to my email either. I got the standard "we're passing it to the right department" reply but nothing since then. :(

This would NEVER have happened a few years ago. We would all have had a response within 48 hours. The management at GemsTV has changed and NOT for the better.

They have always been naff but now it is blatent! If you were outside of the internet they never cared, looks like the forum members are now getting the same treatment as the other mere mortals. :eek:

and i note today, when selling canary diamonds, no mention of them being enhanced or coated - and still no mention of the gold n ice being man made carp either! not doing themselves any great favours really - didnt spend too long watching today, only saw a few moments of lynne and her pie and ebar, what with that and the music, I may very well be bored, but I am not that bored that i can stand to listen to that music - and ariba ariba onderlay onderlay, gems tv are selling pie ee bar tourmaline! ;)

i emailed them with regards to my tanzanite which i bought last year as a AAAA of which has started to loose its colour and is now colour of AA tanzy in my gems (free) book i got given ages ago it said tanzys were heat treated which i knew but on there new piece on web now says heat treated or coated got the same email back as you folks but then had a phone call from a manager stating they have never coated there tanzys asked why and i told him went through the usual thing on not subjecting it to heat, suntan lotion etc etc when he realised i knew how to look after it he has now said he will get in touch with their gem expert to see if he can come up with anything, as i told him i am at the mo looking for a tanzanian ruby as it is my 40th weding anniversary coming up in may but as i cant rely on the gems keeping their colour from GTV i wont be looking at them to buy it from, i have offered to send it back to them so they can see what it is like he has said he will phone me back when he has any info WE SHALL SEE As i told him i know i have had it for year and half but have only worn it about 10 times so what does that say about their stock i bought the so called best did not go for cheap version but i might as well have done

Tequila - Please DO NOT send it back to them. You need to get that gemstone independently tested. A Tanzanite doesn't fade or lose it's colour. Please please please send it, to take it, to a Safeguard event. There is a testing office at the Birmingham Assay Office that will test for treatments etc and you can get this information from Safeguard themselves. If you send it back to GemsTV you'll never know for sure exactly what's happened to it, so if I were you I'd get an independent assessment.

If it's not Tanzanite OR there is something else wrong then you have every right to challenge GemsTV legally. If you send them the stone for testing you may as well kiss that option goodbye.

Please also take photos of the gemstone now and make a note of the lighting conditions that you're taking the photos in. That way, if it fades more, you'll have a record of it. Did you take a photo of it when you got it?

Please also be warned:- their Tanzanian Rubies will be heated and most likely filled or BE treated. They will keep their colour but their value is much much much less than a "normal" heated Ruby. If you don't mind that then fine.

once again thank you for the advice what would we do without you meesh i will take on board your advice and wait to see if gems come up with anything then if no joy i will get it tested myself no i didnt take pic of it when new but it was as you would expect a AAAA to be my friend has just received a AA one from gems and i matched it against that and it is almost the same colour slightly darker but not a lot .yes i did know that the tanzanian ruby was heated but the the clear gem as opposed to the pink colour of a normal ruby

i emailed them with regards to my tanzanite which i bought last year as a AAAA of which has started to loose its colour and is now colour of AA tanzy in my gems (free) book i got given ages ago it said tanzys were heat treated which i knew but on there new piece on web now says heat treated or coated got the same email back as you folks but then had a phone call from a manager stating they have never coated there tanzys asked why and i told him went through the usual thing on not subjecting it to heat, suntan lotion etc etc when he realised i knew how to look after it he has now said he will get in touch with their gem expert to see if he can come up with anything, as i told him i am at the mo looking for a tanzanian ruby as it is my 40th weding anniversary coming up in may but as i cant rely on the gems keeping their colour from GTV i wont be looking at them to buy it from, i have offered to send it back to them so they can see what it is like he has said he will phone me back when he has any info WE SHALL SEE As i told him i know i have had it for year and half but have only worn it about 10 times so what does that say about their stock i bought the so called best did not go for cheap version but i might as well have done

I would love to know what goes on before these things are sold, sounds like the 'Star sapphire' I have that has lost its 'STAR'.....quite frankly we should not need to become Gemologists before purchasing these things! Instead we find ourselves Googling away to answer these odd results!!!!

once again thank you for the advice what would we do without you meesh i will take on board your advice and wait to see if gems come up with anything then if no joy i will get it tested myself no i didnt take pic of it when new but it was as you would expect a AAAA to be my friend has just received a AA one from gems and i matched it against that and it is almost the same colour slightly darker but not a lot .yes i did know that the tanzanian ruby was heated but the the clear gem as opposed to the pink colour of a normal ruby

Tequila - it's not the heating you need to be wary of. Most rubies are heated nowadays. It's the other treatments. The Tanzanian Rubies are most probably BE diffused - this means that they're cooked with Berylium which anneals fissures and gives the gem a more red colour. It IS a ruby underneath it all but highly manipulated. A natural ruby (heated or unheated) should be a true red and should be clear NOT pink or cloudy.

I would love to know what goes on before these things are sold, sounds like the 'Star sapphire' I have that has lost its 'STAR'.....quite frankly we should not need to become Gemologists before purchasing these things! Instead we find ourselves Googling away to answer these odd results!!!!

Did you have it investigated? It sounds like one of the Star Sapphires that have been put in by way of diffusion. Ebay is absolutely littered with them. A good way of telling, although not foolproof is seeing if the star is perfectly straight with nice even legs, strongly defined and centered well. Most natural star sapphires don't have straight lines (only the very very expensive ones do). Did you take a photo of it before the star disappeared?

I have always wanted a star sapphire, or failing that a star ruby - seen some lovely big star rubies on Rocks and co - if they are goig to loose their star - no point in buying - another let down! Just like my Brazilian Fire Opal, when I got that it was a beautful crystal clear yellow - (apart from one stone which was opaque) now, not less than 9 months later - the same ring has changed colour, the stones that where clear and a beautiful clear yellow - are all now opaque faded and dull - and yes, I have tried to clean them - in every which possible way people have advised me to. It looks totally awful now, not due to the attempts in cleaning, and i dont wear it. (and its not as if i wore whilst i wash up, as I have a dishwasher) and i dont wear it whilst i am doing any cleaning. Its not the fire opal that they are selling now, which is a lovely red colour, this was brazilian fire opal - and it was a clear yellow. Also got a flamingo topaz ring, and the colour on that is not as vibrant as when i first bought it.

Did you have it investigated? It sounds like one of the Star Sapphires that have been put in by way of diffusion. Ebay is absolutely littered with them. A good way of telling, although not foolproof is seeing if the star is perfectly straight with nice even legs, strongly defined and centered well. Most natural star sapphires don't have straight lines (only the very very expensive ones do). Did you take a photo of it before the star disappeared?

I can't really remember what it looked like originally, and it never occured to me to photograph it, I'm not sure where it is now, will have a rummage through some of my stuff at the weekend, must be rattling about somewhere, the setting was really flimsy and soft so I never wore it due to that, but last time I looked at it, it resembled a lump of plastic, def no star :(

It wasn't expensive, only a Gems one, which is why I just wrote it off, I only take pics of the dear stuff just for insurance, will def look for it at wkend tho.

I have always wanted a star sapphire, or failing that a star ruby - seen some lovely big star rubies on Rocks and co - if they are goig to loose their star - no point in buying - another let down! Just like my Brazilian Fire Opal, when I got that it was a beautful crystal clear yellow - (apart from one stone which was opaque) now, not less than 9 months later - the same ring has changed colour, the stones that where clear and a beautiful clear yellow - are all now opaque faded and dull - and yes, I have tried to clean them - in every which possible way people have advised me to. It looks totally awful now, not due to the attempts in cleaning, and i dont wear it. (and its not as if i wore whilst i wash up, as I have a dishwasher) and i dont wear it whilst i am doing any cleaning. Its not the fire opal that they are selling now, which is a lovely red colour, this was brazilian fire opal - and it was a clear yellow. Also got a flamingo topaz ring, and the colour on that is not as vibrant as when i first bought it.

That is a shame, I would expect the stones to look like they do from day one forever....I couldn't ruin mine washing up or cleaning as I never do any LOL ;)

Persianglitter - I'm going to start a new thread about your Opal because I think it's important for this thread to stay on focus i.e. COATED DIAMONDS. :(

Has anybody had an email yet? Nothing has hit my inbox.

No still nothing i emailed them this afternoon for an update, still waiting!
I think its a disgrace they are happy enough to take our money but when we ask questions its a different matter, it takes no time at all for someone to just send a quick email even if its just to say sorry we haven't been in touch yet but we are still waiting for a reply etc!

I've just had a good rummage around GemsTV's website and found the general enhancements page - then checked the item spec for a specific item but any enhancements weren't mentioned. am I right in thinkg you just have to assume? they don't tell you on specific items?

Sorry to be thick

Nikki x

I emailed gems this evening to ask the specifics of their treatments on canary diamonds... no reply as yet. I was also online when PR asked about the rocks ones.

n xxx

Latest posts

Back