TV Celebs Wannabees or genuine Sales Job which happens to be on telly

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glittergirl

Registered Shopper
We had a small debate the other day about QVC and other shopping channels and the consensus was that most presenters were really doing this job to be seen on television. It does seem a good job (at times) and it's their choice of career (or maybe landed in it through diversity or similar). Means nothing really but we had many various/strong opinions on it.

Keen to know what people who watch and seem to know a lot about these channels think etc. etc. :mysmilie_48:

Doing the job just to be seen on TV? I doubt it would work to really increase your profile to 'celebrity' or even 'personality' level because Selly Telly isn't exactly mainstream is it?

I don't know what you mean when you say 'landed it through diversity or similar'... so won't add anything about that.

Anyway, why are people flight attendants, police officers, used car salesmen, receptionists etc... A lot of time it's just down to opportunity, luck, someone you know does it etc etc.

I don't think it's a bad way to get paid but not my idea of fun either - especially when you might be recognised / approached by the kind of people that keep close tabs on the presenters by reading their blogs, following them on Twitter, sending them messages and knitting booties for happy arrivals etc... some people seem a bit too interested in them... that might get creepy!

I don't know what you mean when you say 'landed it through diversity or similar'... so won't add anything about that.

Don't be so disingenuous: you know exactly what she's getting at and it's out of order. GG: Are you suggesting that some people got their jobs just because they're black? The only other 'diversity' issue could be disabled, and there's no-one who fits that description on the Q. If I'm wrong, then please clarify the meaning of it.

Perhaps work in other areas has dried up for them so they take any job that comes along. I don't think most of them would do the job unless they had to, work is work. Let's face it who in their right mind would want be on national TV trying to flog some of the crap you see on QVC these days.

Don't be so disingenuous: you know exactly what she's getting at and it's out of order. GG: Are you suggesting that some people got their jobs just because they're black? The only other 'diversity' issue could be disabled, and there's no-one who fits that description on the Q. If I'm wrong, then please clarify the meaning of it.

Why is it 'disingenuous' to ask rather than assume?

Why is it 'disingenuous' to ask rather than assume?

Because an assumption based on only one possibility is a certainty and doesn't need questioning. Given disingenuous means 'not candid or sincere: typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does", I think that your comment clearly fits that critereon.

Last edited:
Perhaps work in other areas has dried up for them so they take any job that comes along. I don't think most of them would do the job unless they had to, work is work. Let's face it who in their right mind would want be on national TV trying to flog some of the crap you see on QVC these days.

It's not exactly hard work and long hours is it? I think they enjoy being on telly no matter that they are just glorified sales assistants.

Most of them have landed there through not hacking it anymore in a proper job, some of which were in the media (Jk and Marv), game shows or dancers (JR and JH) radio (Dale & CB)

JF and Pippa both started as what are now called brand ambassadors

Then there is Chuntley who has been a dental receptionist, a nail technician and now adds actor and builder to her CV

Most entertainers get to a level and slowly slip down the ratings until they end up on some obscure channel or selly telly.

I don't think any of them are in much danger of being recognised in the street.

I get the impression the presenters take the opportunity to be on qvc when there is not as many opportunities to advance on television in the medium that they wanted to (acting, newsreading, etc) and the 'expert' guests/brand ambassadors will take any slot just to get their face on tv/something for the ''showbiz'' cv.

But ultimately it is to get on tv or stay on tv.

even though its selly telly there are many would be actors presenters et all clamouring to do the job. qvc must pay the going rate plus the added perks of free goods its a good living. dale, jill franks, clare sutton and others are doing ok to me

Unfortunately in main stream telly you have to be below a certain age or considered very intelligent and I don't think any of the selly telly ones fall into either category.

craig is/was doing mainstream telly.he could not wait to do qvc

And whats your burning ambition ? ooo oooo ooooo to get on QVC !!! that REALLY is something to aspire to.

Some people WILL do anything to get a profile on the box. I remember reading about David Harper (antique expert bloke) where he literally bombarded the BBC with letters practically begging to be given a slot with all the other antique experts. He got his way, and I still don't like him.

And whats your burning ambition ? ooo oooo ooooo to get on QVC !!! that REALLY is something to aspire to.

Some people WILL do anything to get a profile on the box. I remember reading about David Harper (antique expert bloke) where he literally bombarded the BBC with letters practically begging to be given a slot with all the other antique experts. He got his way, and I still don't like him.

As someone who loves their antiques and antique tv shows I couldnt place the name but when I googled him I knew who he was and agree that he is a total sickner.

Yes, I've just re-read his blurb and clearly the bit about pressuring the Beeb is no longer there, and he's clearly a bit economical with the truth. Admittedly it was a few years ago when I read it, as he had made a couple of appearances on Bargain Hunt then and I wondered at the time who this plonker was. Clearly revelling in his 'fame'. Sadly he's also on the new antique show Whats it Worth - a not bad prog except for him.

Latest posts

Back