Today I bought....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The closest big city for us to shop in the 50s and 60s was Glasgow, and we used to go up in the train, my mother and me, for a special day out. My wee town had nothing like C & A , which was a huge shop, and Lewise’s in Argyle Street with the most fantastic food hall, and wonderful clothes, and everything for the home. Not to be confused with John Lewis, we always brought great clothes and wonderful things to eat back down on the train. I don’t know how my mother could afford it. Wonderful times.

We bought things then which today would be seen as new and upmarket. Nothing new about it, we had it then folks. Trips into Frasers of Buchanan Street, very upmarket many other shops which would rank alongside Fortnams and Harrodsburg, no bother at all.

Shopping was exciting, different, pleasurable and an event, if not twice yearly, at least annually.

Oh, and don’t forget lunch with delicious cakes or creamy desserts.

Newcastle Upon Tyne was my nearest for a city shop - we'd go armed with a list and do John Lewis (Bainbridges then) and Fenwicks. My mum was sniffy about M&S so we didn't go in there (but if we were with my gran we'd go).
Midway through we'd go for a lovely meal in one of the store restaurants to fortify ourselves for the afternoon. Our fave was called The Tivoli, and they did a Danish style buffet. Sadly it's only there in name now, but a shadow of its former self. We had to make sure there wasn't a home match, as the trains would become an obstacle course of passed-out drunks on the way home (and the rest would be rowdy)!

Normally any urgent shopping would end up being at the market, along with fruit and veg. Undies always from the haberdashers in the village.

I don't suppose for the adults it was such an exciting adventure, but for us kids it was a grand day out.

When they go through all of the "what did we do well, what do we need to change" reviews at the time when we can all take a deep breath and return to somewhat or entirely normal; I think the issue of care staff - not just NHS - wearing their uniforms outside of their work environment must be addressed.
Police and armed forces don't wear their uniforms off duty due to security risks.
Fire service don't seem to go around in their gear outside of the fire station or call-outs, for practical reasons I suppose.
It seems to me that anyone who works in the health services and is around illness and disease should keep their uniform exclusively for wearing in a work situation. That includes their footwear.

I would hope that one of the positive things that could come out of this horrible year, is a greater appreciation of the value of simple, basic, hygiene measures. No need to spend a fortune on more chemicals, just soap and water, and changing your contaminated clothing when you change your environment. It should be the cheapest and easiest thing to implement, but I bet there are 1001 reasons why it isn't!

When I was still nursing, theatre, ITU, the baby unit and maternity all had changing rooms, and the staff could change (and shower) into scrubs for work, and just throw them in the laundry slip at the end of their shift. So no excuse for leaving in your uniform! But the wards don’t have that, so you have to change in the loo, with no wash facilities and no locker to keep your clothes. Needs to change big time.

Did anyone manage to actually get on to Debenhams site? I tried twice and was in a queue which never actually got me through despite staying on line for over an hour. If these is any indication of how then run the company I’m not surprised it went to the wall.
Yes I got on, though it sorted suspended me from time to time. I bought nothing.

I always took no prisoners even as a child. One of my friends says since she went through menopause she had turned into me. On another forum started a thread that people are angrier since COVID, I have always been angry and all women going throw or past menopause are.
LOL. I was pretty insane until I went on HRT. Now unfortunately I am off the HRT but have to take anti depressants due to the hideous hot flushes so now I am a lot more chilled.

I nipped in to M&CO in town to pull up my tights that were falling down. Strange because other pairs in the range are all fine. Anyway whilst there I had a look around and can out with a denim skirt reduced to 11.99. I hadn’t got a bag and I didn’t want OH to see so I wear it under the skirt I already had on.

I didn’t buy this item today, but did order the Buildcraft tool set as an extra gift for the ex. It was due to be dispatched on 7th December but I got an email from QVC to say that it now won’t be dispatched until the 21st. I rang CS and they confirmed that, unless they suddenly arrive in stock, it won’t be with me until after Christmas. So it looks as though he’ll be getting an I.O.U. in a box. Fantastic!

I wonder how many other customers will be affected by orders that don’t arrive in time. The turkey etc comes to mind.

I am enjoying reading about people’s purchases here. It does show how little people are buying from QVC in favour of other shops (although I think when we do buy from QVC, we discuss that in the specific thread about it so it’s not really an accurate measure).

I, too, have been buying less from the Q again, despite a minor spree a few months ago which I put down to comfort buying. The last thing I bought was some small binoculars last month, an impulse buy as the tv was on in the background and I just spotted them - they were quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere or I wouldn’t have bothered. I’m very pleased with them, though. Just goes to show that even I, who think I’m resilient to buying on a whim, will do so when things are in front of me so good job I rarely watch QVC at length.

I was thinking, this time last year, I was buying quite a lot from QVC as they had the £1.95 postage on all beauty, 15% off Clearance and wasn’t there another deal which we all waded in on? Anyway, I got some genuine bargains. Where’s all that this year??

I bought a Cozee Home soft twist rug a few days ago, I just had an email from Hemes to say that it is on on the way to them.
I am looking forward to seeing it, as it had good reviews,but it did seem rather cheap to be very good.
'The rug arrived a few days ago and I can't believe how good it is, I would have been happy if I had paid twice the price...if I remember right it was just under £40...80cm x 150cm (31. 59.

I bought a large Yankee Candle Red Apple Wreath for £15.99 in Boots. I didn't want to pay full price.
I also picked up Candy Cane Forest in Tesco, for £14.
I blame myself for my Christmas candle burning thread reminding me of yet more festive scents I love
I also bought a Tunis cake in Tesco, inspired by this forum and the fact I'm not a fan of traditional Christmas cake.

I also bought a beautiful Alessi Christmas ornament.
The idea of going shopping yesterday was to buy for other people. I think I failed!!

We are still in total lockdown so no shops open in my area- doesn’t worry me as I’m not buying anything apart from groceries and the very odd eBay purchase.

tomorrow we open again and they are warning about people going mad shopping. I keep thinking of the food rush at supermarkets come at Xmas.

Oh, 30,000 domestic fowl that will be turkey, chicken goose and ducks have been culled in the UK so far because of bird flu.

I’ve been buying Christmas food at each shop over the past month so if it’s freezeable or store cupboard I’ve already got it so it’s only fresh I need to buy in the final week.

I usually take the opportunity over the holidays to try new recipes but as it’s the two of us so if it’s only sausage and chips we won’t care!

Latest posts

Back