Their vanity is so annoying and time consuming - Why should we suffer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

presbyopia is long sight of middle age. happens to almost everyone whether you are short sighted as a youngster or not.

varifocals can have anything in the top for distance, just clear 'lens' if necessary so there is no need to feel dizzy walking about in readers - and no need for the ridiculous perched on the end of the nose thing that julia does. any optician will tell you, you must wear your glasses correctly placed on the bridge of your nose. julia probably (mistakenly) thinks it gives her a cute 'miss jones' look.

you can have laser surgery or contant lenses for presbyopia.

i was told never to swim in lenses never mind snorkel or dive, because of the risk of infection.

as one of the cacophony of 'i dress for me', i wear glasses - or not - for me too.

Have either of you ladies considered going "mono vision". I have been wearing a distance lens in one eye and a lower strength in the other eye for a few years now and makes life a lot easier. Still need to top up with specs if working on the PC for any length of time though.
Don't think it suits everyone, but may be worth asking your optician about your suitability...?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

i tried monovision madaunty - gawd, couldn't wait to get them out. didn't work for me at all although i know several people who have no probs.

i tried monovision madaunty - gawd, couldn't wait to get them out. didn't work for me at all although i know several people who have no probs.

It didn't work for me either, both the distance & close up vision were compromised so it was no good, I gave in and had to wear readers. I've had very bad sight since I was ten or eleven and was recently diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes I've now had surgery to remove them and they've been replaced with prescription implants so for the first time in 50 years I can see clearly without lens or glasses except for reading, absolutely brilliant I'm a very, very happy bunny, there are definitely some pluses to getting older :mysmilie_500::mysmilie_378::mysmilie_500:

The other day the camera caught Dale returning to his seat, he said he couldn't read the monitor from the desk and needed to get closer so Julia's not the only one ! Perhaps the monitors in the new studio are smaller?

It didn't work for me either, both the distance & close up vision were compromised so it was no good, I gave in and had to wear readers. I've had very bad sight since I was ten or eleven and was recently diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes I've now had surgery to remove them and they've been replaced with prescription implants so for the first time in 50 years I can see clearly without lens or glasses except for reading, absolutely brilliant I'm a very, very happy bunny, there are definitely some pluses to getting older :mysmilie_500::mysmilie_378::mysmilie_500:

gosh DD - they removed the cataracts right away? i've got them starting in both eyes but they usually watch and wait?

gosh DD - they removed the cataracts right away? i've got them starting in both eyes but they usually watch and wait?

As my sight was so bad one was +11.25 and the other +10.75 because of the cataracts the opticians couldn't get my lens or glasses right so she asked my doctor to refer me to the hospital. I got the appointment a couple of months later and the consultant said that as they were having a detrimental affect impact on my sight he'd remove them and give me implants, he did the first one about a month after seeing me and the second one six weeks later. I've since found out you can have the same operation done privately even if you haven't got cataracts and they even have an implant that has a prescription for distance and for reading, that way you'd never need glasses, had I known about it I might well have saved up and had it done years ago !

Most of my friends are around my age (46), I have to wear proper glasses now but I come across so many similar aged friends not wearing glasses and straining to see things like these presenters. It's very common and most of them who have glasses never wear them. When I ask why, "can't be bothered" or "don't like wearing them in public" is their response. Mine? I always wear mine because I cannot see without them now. I used to have excellent vision, be glasses free and my good eyesight was valuable in my 20's when a cinema projectionist. Now I feel my eye sight is getting worse very fast, hits me hard.

DD - yes, most of the people i know who've had it done say they have the best vision they've had for years. glad it was a successful op for you :)

I've worn specs since I was 8 or 9 and I'm totally fine with them. I loved the freedom of contacts but couldn't get on with them, partly because I couldn't have exactly the same prescription as my specs and partly because I have to have toric contacts and they felt so thick! Focusing in them was difficult and I didn't feel safe driving in them. But I did love just being able to see. I am extremely short-sighted and have quite a severe astigmatism so I only see a blur with no specs, but I don't mind them and have never felt ashamed wearing them. My mum however does find it embarrassing wearing hers and resisted them for years. I don't understand it but I don't think it vanity as in all other areas she is not vain at all (doesn't really care what she wears etc). I do think that QVC could either make their monitors bigger or use a larger font on them, as it is very annoying the constant squinting and complaining!

You"re lucky it worked for you. As in all things, it doesnt work for some people. The secretary in our ward got it done as she"d cataracts, and had the implants put in as well. But she says she has to wait 15 minutes in the morning for her eyes to settle, and shes just been told itll settle down, and also her eyes sting. Wouldnt put me off, if id the money id get it done, I just hate wearing glasses. In my line of work theyre always getting in the way, or needing cleaned, or leaving marks on your nose, i need them for reading. I"m probably vain too, i admit, so ive said it :thinking:

Have either of you ladies considered going "mono vision". I have been wearing a distance lens in one eye and a lower strength in the other eye for a few years now and makes life a lot easier. Still need to top up with specs if working on the PC for any length of time though.
Don't think it suits everyone, but may be worth asking your optician about your suitability...?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I did try that but it made me feel queasy lol. Actually I have never ever been able to walk down stairs wearing glasses, even as a child. It makes me feel queasy. No idea why.

I don't really mind wearing reading glasses.

And I do agree wearing glasses is so much more acceptable these days thankfully. I went for the hard lenses, the forerunner of gas permeable I was ****** determined to get used to them. I've moved on to gas permeable now but I can't wear soft lenses. Well I can wear them but I can't get em out!!

monolens

Thanks for that madaunty- i have long vision and lazy eye, the other straight eye has very little vision -and went through all the usual as a kid ie-patch over the one to strengthen, but glasses were needed from an early age, as ive previously said thank god i found great contacts that suited me - and allows me to snorkel and dive - and to whoever wrote about eye infections [sorry cant remember who] sit on a beach watching everyone else going in or just go for it-well you only live once -and 10yrs ive never had an infection but im always extremely careful after submerging in water to thourghly wash out eyes and of course ears [which i do get probs with] guess to me its worth the risk.

As I said initially I wear glasses, 98% of the time I wear them when I'm out.

Also like I said if I were going to a "do" I would not wear them because I don't need to.

I wasn't born with glasses on my face and as I know I can negotiate an event without wearing them I would do so.

I would take them with me for reading menus or such like and Bob's your uncle.

I am not suggesting anything by it.

Julia et al come across as very vain though to me in many ways and I believe that the reason she doesn't wear them is because she doesn't want to be seen as a woman who needs to. She can't admit that she is growing older. In fact, I don't think it will be long before she is encouraged to leave just like many television stations do to their older women employees.

And yes, I do believe that men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses especially the hard thick tortoiseshell frames which are now so popular.

I don't want contacts and I would never have surgery so I wear them because I am the kind of woman who doesn't give a damn anyway but fact is fact as can be judged by the amount of people you see taking their glasses off all the time when someone walks in.

Just telling it like it is.

Also like I said if I were going to a "do" I would not wear them because I don't need to.

I wasn't born with glasses on my face and as I know I can negotiate an event without wearing them I would do so.

Julia et al come across as very vain though to me in many ways and I believe that the reason she doesn't wear them is because she doesn't want to be seen as a woman who needs to. She can't admit that she is growing older. In fact, I don't think it will be long before she is encouraged to leave just like many television stations do to their older women employees.

And yes, I do believe that men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses especially the hard thick tortoiseshell frames which are now so popular.

I don't want contacts and I would never have surgery so I wear them because I am the kind of woman who doesn't give a damn anyway but fact is fact as can be judged by the amount of people you see taking their glasses off all the time when someone walks in.

I agree with a lot of what youve said GemGenie. But i dont thing Q would get rid of Julia, shes been there for
a long long time, and you cant get rid of someone cause they wont wear glasses. She does wear them at times, keeps them at her side on the shows. I"m probably her age and i agree i am vain, i just hate wearing glasses, but i have accepted im getting older and need to wear them and i do wear them, not that daft to put my job at risk, but as i said if id the money id get the operation. Just personal choice, but i do think when you have a job that requires reading from an autocue or such like, you need to assess the situation properly, and not just squint, theres Kathy doing it and also Dale, wonder whos next :whew:

If that's the case why does she wear them fairly often, usually when she's using her ipad, why does she continually make reference to the fact that she sometimes can't see the monitor withoutthem, and why she does she openly and often mention how old she is? For someone who is trying to hide it she seems very vocal about it if you ask me.

As for leaving QVC, I wouldn't hold your breath. Judging by the state of the younger mob I wouldn't imagine JR is under any kind of threat. She is the most watchable presenter on the channel. Of course the jealous haters will not agree, but I'm just telling it how it is.

It is the squinting and the wasting of viewer's time that annoys me the most. It is like others have said, very unprofessional and shows no respect for us.

They think we just sit at home and all we do is part with out money. Well that money pays their wages and they should remember that.

On the subject of older presenters though, I was looking at Sue Barker during the Olympics.

Now I like her and have watched her for years on A Question of Sport but she is now looking "her age".

They can say what they like but the BBC just don't seem to like women over 50 fronting their programmes so I feel it is only a matter of time before Sue is in for the chop.

Julia is a good presenter and I don't mind her at all but she isn't attracting the right demographic to the channel IMHO. not as far as the American bosses would think anyway

The monitors are quite a few feet away from the presenter's desk or seat, being long-sighted I'd have no trouble reading from them, as I can read writing on a TV screen at that sort of range, so doesn't that point to JR needing glasses for distance rather than close work? Reading glasses would blur any writing at that distance wouldn't it? Maybe she just hasn't had her prescription updated for a while. I'm pushing 50 and the only bullying I ever encountered was at the age of 9 on the first day of a new school year I'd forgotten my glasses and the new teacher (crazy sadist) called another girl specky or some such, name so I never wore my glasses until she was sacked and replaced 2 terms later (I could write a book about her I really could). I'm happy enough wearing varifocals but I'd consider laser eye surgery.

Jude xx

The monitors are quite a few feet away from the presenter's desk or seat, being long-sighted I'd have no trouble reading from them, as I can read writing on a TV screen at that sort of range, so doesn't that point to JR needing glasses for distance rather than close work? Reading glasses would blur any writing at that distance wouldn't it? Maybe she just hasn't had her prescription updated for a while. I'm pushing 50 and the only bullying I ever encountered was at the age of 9 on the first day of a new school year I'd forgotten my glasses and the new teacher (crazy sadist) called another girl specky or some such, name so I never wore my glasses until she was sacked and replaced 2 terms later (I could write a book about her I really could). I'm happy enough wearing varifocals but I'd consider laser eye surgery.

Jude xx

i think it would cos i've got presbyopia and at first just needed readers. as time goes on though, most people get a bit short sighted as well which is why we end up with varifocals. what i'm trying to say is, despite having presbyopia, i'd need my glasses to read the monitor.

Thanks for that madaunty- i have long vision and lazy eye, the other straight eye has very little vision -and went through all the usual as a kid ie-patch over the one to strengthen, but glasses were needed from an early age, as ive previously said thank god i found great contacts that suited me - and allows me to snorkel and dive - and to whoever wrote about eye infections [sorry cant remember who] sit on a beach watching everyone else going in or just go for it-well you only live once -and 10yrs ive never had an infection but im always extremely careful after submerging in water to thourghly wash out eyes and of course ears [which i do get probs with] guess to me its worth the risk.

it was me roxy. i'm probably biased because my mum (who died just recently :( ) went blind and if it wasn't obvious enough already, it really brought home to me how sight is the most precious thing you have. i was a bit surprised that the optician said no swimming but i would never chance the slightest thing that could damage my eyes.

If that's the case why does she wear them fairly often, usually when she's using her ipad, why does she continually make reference to the fact that she sometimes can't see the monitor withoutthem, and why she does she openly and often mention how old she is? For someone who is trying to hide it she seems very vocal about it if you ask me.

As for leaving QVC, I wouldn't hold your breath. Judging by the state of the younger mob I wouldn't imagine JR is under any kind of threat. She is the most watchable presenter on the channel. Of course the jealous haters will not agree, but I'm just telling it how it is.

Hit the nail on the head.

It is the squinting and the wasting of viewer's time that annoys me the most. It is like others have said, very unprofessional and shows no respect for us.

They think we just sit at home and all we do is part with out money. Well that money pays their wages and they should remember that.

On the subject of older presenters though, I was looking at Sue Barker during the Olympics.

Now I like her and have watched her for years on A Question of Sport but she is now looking "her age".

They can say what they like but the BBC just don't seem to like women over 50 fronting their programmes so I feel it is only a matter of time before Sue is in for the chop.

Julia is a good presenter and I don't mind her at all but she isn't attracting the right demographic to the channel IMHO. not as far as the American bosses would think anyway

If it wasn't for Julia, the majority of the demographic watching the Q would be the chavtastic lot, like most of the other shopping channels. The American bosses are most definitely aware of this and Julia needs not worry.

Latest posts

Back