Their vanity is so annoying and time consuming - Why should we suffer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
If they can't see properly anymore due to middle aged myopia then why should we suffer?

The women presenters are more guilty than the men.

They sit/stand there saying they cannot see the details on the monitor because they haven't got their glasses on.

SO PUT YOUR FLIPPIN GLASSES ON.

If we can't do our jobs without our glasses we would be sacked.

If you need glasses for driving and you don't wear them you invalidate your insurance.

No, we have to wait and wait while they dither over the details that they would be able to see if only they PUT THEIR GLASSES ON.

Or get contacts for goodness' sake.

As if anyone and his uncle really cares if you lot wear glasses.

Get real and stop being so vain.

If they can't see properly anymore due to middle aged myopia then why should we suffer?

The women presenters are more guilty than the men.

They sit/stand there saying they cannot see the details on the monitor because they haven't got their glasses on.

SO PUT YOUR FLIPPIN GLASSES ON.

If we can't do our jobs without our glasses we would be sacked.

If you need glasses for driving and you don't wear them you invalidate your insurance.

No, we have to wait and wait while they dither over the details that they would be able to see if only they PUT THEIR GLASSES ON.

Or get contacts for goodness' sake.

As if anyone and his uncle really cares if you lot wear glasses.

Get real and stop being so vain.

I totally agree. Julia is the worst, she sometimes gets the guests to read the texts. It is an age thing i agree.

I wear reading glasses and totally need them, to write things down, cant walk with them on, as they make my

head dizzy. So they"re in and out of my pocket or i leave them places, and cant remember where they are. Its

a nightmare. But our boss refuses to wear her glasses to work, she puts contacts in, and said no way would

she wear glasses to work. I do hate wearing them though. I"d get that operation to save the faffing about,

inffact youd wonder why they dont get it done and theyd have no need to squint ..............................

I wear glasses. So what? Lots of people wear them. My daughter wears them at 28 and she looks amazing in them. I don't actually need to wear mine for distance but I find that because I need to wear them so much for close work I might as well leave them on anyway.

I admit that if I was going out somewhere nice (some hope) or to a wedding I wouldn't wear them but there again if I need them they are there.

You are correct, Julia is the worst. She has a partner. She is in a long term relationship. She doesn't need to worry about being attractive to the public. Her partner must have seen her wearing glasses so she should wear them or at least have them on a cord around her neck.

Kathy was the same this morning and I really like Kathy.

I'd love to know how far away this monitor is and how big the writing is too because most of them manage.

I wear glasses. So what? Lots of people wear them. My daughter wears them at 28 and she looks amazing in them. I don't actually need to wear mine for distance but I find that because I need to wear them so much for close work I might as well leave them on anyway.

I admit that if I was going out somewhere nice (some hope) or to a wedding I wouldn't wear them but there again if I need them they are there.

You are correct, Julia is the worst. She has a partner. She is in a long term relationship. She doesn't need to worry about being attractive to the public. Her partner must have seen her wearing glasses so she should wear them or at least have them on a cord around her neck.

Kathy was the same this morning and I really like Kathy.

I'd love to know how far away this monitor is and how big the writing is too because most of them manage.

I agree if the presenters need glasses to be able to read their monitors they should wear them so as to be able to give us the sizing information etc. I'm confused by your above comment though - are you implying that people cannot be considered attractive while wearing glasses?

Can you imagine a news reader in the middle of a story stopping and saying I can't read the monitor. The station would be inundated with complaints. QVC should really get this sorted, they are supposed to be a proffessional company aren't they?

I agree if the presenters need glasses to be able to read their monitors they should wear them so as to be able to give us the sizing information etc. I'm confused by your above comment though - are you implying that people cannot be considered attractive while wearing glasses?

If I meant that I would have said it. Still confused?

If I meant that I would have said it. Still confused?

Not at all. If people are insecure about their looks I'm not going to worry. I simply interpreted your comments about you needing to wear glasses but yet you wouldn't wear them to a wedding for example (where presumably you'd need to read an order of service, menu ....), and Julia having a partner so not having to worry about being attractive, that people wearing glasses couldn't be considered attractive.

PPC has perfect vision herself and maybe that's why she's so observant :happy:

JR's refusal to wear glasses gets on my nerves, in particular when she or anyone else is holding stuff at a distance and squinting trying to get it in focus. For someone who wants to appear youthful it's very ageing.

Last edited:
So let me get this right.... If you have a partner you shouldn't care about your appearance any more.

What about the cacophony of "I dress for me" responses to my suggestion that men find maxi dresses ugly just the other day? Hmmmmm?

Isn't it more likely that JR is short-sighted if she can't read the monitor and has probably needed glasses for years? With old age eyesight tends towards longer sight (the classic arm-too-short-to-read-the-paper). I've worn glasses or lenses since I was 7 and they don't bother me. I don't really get why people aren't comfortable being seen it their specs.

Jude xx

I don't think it is myopia, that being short sightedness, but rather presbyopia, meaning long sightedness, being a sufferer myself, from the mid twenties, things in the distance have never been a problem, things closer than the length of my arms is the biggest problem and my arms have got progressively longer although reading glasses work for me!

Unless I'm going mad :wink: I'm sure I've seen Julia wear glasses during some of her shows, although they're usually perched on the end of her nose. So ..... if she needs them she ought to have them to hand all the time. Wearing glasses, if you need them, when presenting a product won't stop people buying it if they want it but not being able to read the details of the item might.

And personally people should dress, accessorise, do their hair etc etc to make themselves feel good, not do it for partners or the general public. If you feel good about yourself you 'exude' confidence anyway in my opinion. And it's personality and character that counts because our appearance is only the wrapper on the outside of the real person.

Anyone who wore glasses as a child would have been teased at school. It may not have been mercilessly in my case but couldn't wait to get contact lenses. As I got older I was more likely to wear my specs PR perhaps I should say less likely to hate wearing specs.

But now I need to wear ****** reading glasses. But of a choker that one. I've worn contact lenses for over 30 years only to find now I need both! How unfair is that? lol

If it's Julia that's prompted the comments she needs reading glasses like most people of her age. Presbyopia being the technical term.

As far as I know laser surgery doesn't prevent this nor correct it. Not that I really know as I can't have laser surgery so I've never looked into it very deeply. And I'm not sure how contact lenses could correct it either if you don't need lenses anyway.

And Julia does wear reading glasses some of the time doesn't she?

contacts and glasses.

Jeez couldnt have put it better myself - you have the twin eyeballs of me tinkerbelle, having to wear glasses from a very early age and hating my schooldays and bullies, i found trying gas permeables uncomftable when in my late teens and resided to the fact they were not going to be for me - then twentysomething years later im wearing soft coloured lenses and love them to bits - never get over the feeling of freedom when i can put mascara on or pluck eyebrows, but sadly now im wrong side of 40 and i need those readers ,but unless you have had that childhood hell of wearing glasses its hard for people to understand,
I snorkel and dive can you imagine my whole world of freedom ,not just a cosmetic or vanity thing as some people assume.

Isn't it more likely that JR is short-sighted if she can't read the monitor and has probably needed glasses for years? With old age eyesight tends towards longer sight (the classic arm-too-short-to-read-the-paper). I've worn glasses or lenses since I was 7 and they don't bother me. I don't really get why people aren't comfortable being seen it their specs.

Jude xx

The problem with presbyopia (aged related short sight generally from mid forties) is that glasses are only needed for close work (reading, computer) but when wearing them everything else in the distance is blurred so you have to peer over the top in order to see anything clearly in the distance. This is not a good look - remember teachers at school peering angrily (it seemed to me) over their glasses. It is an admission of age! Also putting them on and off is a pain. The solution is bifocals but they are not really needed if distance vision is ok.

I am so happy that things have changed over the years re glasses. My brother (in his late forties), suffered teasing all the time at school when he was very young. It was made worse by the fact that he had to wear a patch over one eye. He stopped wearing them and hid them or broke them. It was awful for him.

Fast forward 20 or so years, my son (21) wore glasses from the age of 5. Not once was there any problem with bullying or teasing. In fact it suddenly became 'cool' to wear glasses, many of the pop stars wore them. He never minded wearing them, but decided when he was 18 to get laser surgery because he could not get on with contact lenses. When he started going to nightclubs, the glasses kept steaming up ha! I started wearing reading glasses 6 years ago, it doesn't bother me but if I keep them on and look up from reading or writing, I nearly keel over!

Anyone who wore glasses as a child would have been teased at school. It may not have been mercilessly in my case but couldn't wait to get contact lenses. As I got older I was more likely to wear my specs PR perhaps I should say less likely to hate wearing specs.

But now I need to wear ****** reading glasses. But of a choker that one. I've worn contact lenses for over 30 years only to find now I need both! How unfair is that? lol

If it's Julia that's prompted the comments she needs reading glasses like most people of her age. Presbyopia being the technical term.

As far as I know laser surgery doesn't prevent this nor correct it. Not that I really know as I can't have laser surgery so I've never looked into it very deeply. And I'm not sure how contact lenses could correct it either if you don't need lenses anyway.

And Julia does wear reading glasses some of the time doesn't she?

Jeez couldnt have put it better myself - you have the twin eyeballs of me tinkerbelle, having to wear glasses from a very early age and hating my schooldays and bullies, i found trying gas permeables uncomftable when in my late teens and resided to the fact they were not going to be for me - then twentysomething years later im wearing soft coloured lenses and love them to bits - never get over the feeling of freedom when i can put mascara on or pluck eyebrows, but sadly now im wrong side of 40 and i need those readers ,but unless you have had that childhood hell of wearing glasses its hard for people to understand,
I snorkel and dive can you imagine my whole world of freedom ,not just a cosmetic or vanity thing as some people assume.

Have either of you ladies considered going "mono vision". I have been wearing a distance lens in one eye and a lower strength in the other eye for a few years now and makes life a lot easier. Still need to top up with specs if working on the PC for any length of time though.
Don't think it suits everyone, but may be worth asking your optician about your suitability...?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back