The velvetiser!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I know I said I'd never buy one of these contraptions, but as I mentioned in another thread I succumbed and bought one for OH for xmas as he kept banging on about them. Even though I didn't buy it from Q, I thought I'd review it anyway. Reading the reviews I was a bit concerned that it produced lukewarm drinks which weren't all that. I know I bought it for OH but the box of sachets contained a few flavoured ones, and OH prefers the normal ones so he said he'd do me an orange one- and it was absolutely divine, and piping hot too. OH had a regular one and said exactly the same...so smooth and delicious and yes, probably the best hot chocolate I've ever had at home! I know the sachets are pricey, so we'll probably use grated regular choc from Lidl or Aldi and top up on sachets occasionally. Money well spent.

I know I said I'd never buy one of these contraptions, but as I mentioned in another thread I succumbed and bought one for OH for xmas as he kept banging on about them. Even though I didn't buy it from Q, I thought I'd review it anyway. Reading the reviews I was a bit concerned that it produced lukewarm drinks which weren't all that. I know I bought it for OH but the box of sachets contained a few flavoured ones, and OH prefers the normal ones so he said he'd do me an orange one- and it was absolutely divine, and piping hot too. OH had a regular one and said exactly the same...so smooth and delicious and yes, probably the best hot chocolate I've ever had at home! I know the sachets are pricey, so we'll probably use grated regular choc from Lidl or Aldi and top up on sachets occasionally. Money well spent.
It's not just fancy cocoa then?

Love mine, had ours since October. We use any hot chocolate, and the Hotel Chocolat sachets as well. My son has just bought the Podster, and uses the Velvetiser to do the milk for his drinks.

Have to agree it does make the best Hot Chocolate you can make at home.

Agree with you there Strato, I have little worktop space, so mine is also in a cupboard and doesn't get used much, but it does do lovely choccy drinks - and yes they are lukewarm, so perhaps since its conception they've upgraded the engineering !!!

Aldi gave sone hot choc flakes. Not every branch and can be an effort to find. Amongst Christmas stuff in my local.

Options available are dark with orange, milk and white with mint. I've got the dark with orange, not tried it as I have two options open and decided 2 is enough, I don't have the space to make a full barrista hot chocolate station. Inclination is lower.

Agree with you there Strato, I have little worktop space, so mine is also in a cupboard and doesn't get used much, but it does do lovely choccy drinks - and yes they are lukewarm, so perhaps since its conception they've upgraded the engineering !!!

I bought mine this month. I don't like my hot drinks hot leave alone boiling. Velvitiser doesn't warm the milk hot enough for me. I put about an inch of milk in my cup, zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds then pour hot chocolate onto the hot milk. Seems to work for me.

I don’t have the velvetiser but I’m sure I have read about someone running the programme twice to get the drink hotter. I’m not sure whether that would be worth a try for anyone who find the drinks aren’t hot enough.

I bought mine this month. I don't like my hot drinks hot leave alone boiling. Velvitiser doesn't warm the milk hot enough for me. I put about an inch of milk in my cup, zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds then pour hot chocolate onto the hot milk. Seems to work for me.
My mate says to run without the lid on to get it hotter
It is definitely not hot enough for me, and I even drink it straight out of the Velvetiser so it doesn't get even cooler.

If I press the button for a second time, it only runs for a few more seconds as the thermostat tells it that it already hot.

I don't usually have the lid on as it isn't needed, but this seems to make no difference to the the temp.

But I can understand that NOT having the lid on could fool the thermostat to make it a bit hotter, as the thermostat may think it is cooler than it really is. But whatever I try, it is not hot enough, so if I want a drink as hot as I normally like I would have to pour it into a mug and microwave it. And then I realise how little there is, as it is only 1/2 of my normal mug.

Even if you get hot chocolate in the choccy shops/cafes in Europe (I'm thinking Belgium where its served in lidded chocolate pots to serve yourself) its always a darn sight hotter. I now prefer the less hassle of Whittards chocolate drinks, the Chilli version is brilliant.

…. Seems expensive for something that doesn’t really do the job
I'm wondering whether they're a bit hit and miss because I've read umpteen reviews and though many complained that the drinks weren't hot enough, quite a few said the drinks were lovely and piping hot (as one would expect from a machine like this). The drinks we've had so far have all been really hot and as the mugs that come in the set don't have handles the heat is really noticeable.

People have different tolerances of hot drinks. When I was a barista years ago it broke my heart when customers asked for their coffee to be served at boiling point. Mr Akimbo can drink tea as steam, whereas I can't. It's not great for your throat to take liquids that hot. He doesn't mind that our Velvetiser doesn't produce boiling hot drinks; otherwise the milk would taste different. It's the perfect temperature for me. Maybe the Velvetiser chocolate should be sold as a liquid chocolate experience rather than a hot drink? But we'd take the p!ss if they started saying that!

Akimbo I hang my head in shame, my coffee has to be strong and boiling or ice cold even though I did read it isn’t good for you to drink it so hot.

I only drink tea if I’m going to offend someone you had offered me a cup (usually funerals) and chocolate is too sweet.

People have different tolerances of hot drinks. When I was a barista years ago it broke my heart when customers asked for their coffee to be served at boiling point. Mr Akimbo can drink tea as steam, whereas I can't. It's not great for your throat to take liquids that hot. He doesn't mind that our Velvetiser doesn't produce boiling hot drinks; otherwise the milk would taste different. It's the perfect temperature for me. Maybe the Velvetiser chocolate should be sold as a liquid chocolate experience rather than a hot drink? But we'd take the p!ss if they started saying that!
I hear you! I really can't understand anyone who's satisfied with drinking instant coffee made with boiling water and milk poured on top ( at least use Coffee Mate). This might have been me back in the 70's and 80's when nobody knew any better! In the 90's more people started using filter coffee machines. I remember buying one when I was with my ex husband, excitedly buying a bag of ground coffee and preparing the post prandial coffee, for him to say "It's alright, but it's not really hot enough for me" - I was gutted. He said nothing about the lovely rich flavour, he only cared about how blinking hot it was!
Similarly a few years ago I was shopping with a mate and she wanted a new kettle and I mentioned how I've got one with adjustable temperatures, and that I find that coffee tastes so much better if the water isn't boiling - She said "I don't care - I just want something cheap that boils water". Each to their own I guess.

Well, I’m someone who drinks instant coffee with Coffeemate. 😉 I can’t stand cold or hot milk. If I go to a friend’s for coffee, I have black coffee. I also have black tea, because putting Coffeemate in that would be gross 😳) I do use my Tassimo machine though.

Because I won’t and don’t drink hot milk, the velvetiser would be totally useless for me and it’s a tad expensive to be a vase. 😉 I know I could use almond milk, or similar, but that doesn’t appeal to me either so I’ve saved £100+.

(I’ve always wondered how you milk an almond anyway, 😂)

In our office air con blasts over my desk summer and winter so if I get distracted when it’s piping hot I leave it and an hour later I have iced coffee!

At start of covid I brought my flask and cup into work but drank the whole flask at once whilst it was hot but now I just bring the cup and spoon and use their water and instant coffee

Latest posts

Back