Spying on Fellow Posters

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hello Snarly and a happy :sun: grrrrr :sun: to you and thanks. I too will have to google IYKWIM as i"ve absolutely no idea what
that is. I"m very new too and it prob comes across.

Barbsx

Can anyone explain what the little + plus sign means next to a VIP member's star?

Jude xx

Your post puzzled me because I had never seen a + sign next to any one's name.

Eureka!

By Jove! I think I've got it (apologises to Professor Higgins)

I saw a plus sign for the first time today ...

Tell me, the names with the + sign, are they your Forum "Friends"?

really interesting thread SparklyBarb, just came across it today. I agree it's not spying to look at the profiles that people have voluntarily provided, especially not on this site as it's not a requirement of joining. I didn't fill one out. I have to say reading Weathergirls comments I'm pretty much of that frame of mind.
I'm not that technology savy and this has highlighted a lot of issues for me and just stuff about the site: green dots and crosses, who knew?
Also maybe I'm being abit naive but there seems to be a high level sensitivity to 'barbed' comments . I'm not into facebook or twitter so haven't personally suffered and don't know if there has been a serious history of something going on with this site.

Meant to say never checked out a profile or knew you could be4 this thread so experimented on Weathergirls just because she had clearly stated she had nothing in hers.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I probably misled people with the title of this thread. I didnt mean i was spying on fellow members, me only here
and putting my big foot in it. I accidentally put the cursor over the name and realised it said , such and such online now, gave me
comfort, as ive said before, i work shifts and my sleep pattern is wrecked, so found it helpful that other people were up and about
when i couldnt sleep. Not computer savvy, so didnt realise there probably not, and im possibly one of the few up that cant sleep and
looking at the site , to see whats going on. Not sure about green dots, dont know what they mean. I filled my profile in, thought
you had to but after all this , i thought about deleting it. What makes me a bit uncomfortable is , that some people have looked at
my profile and hid their names, whats that about. Didnt realise it was a crime, but maybe i"m just too trusting. Speak first and think
later. I think everyone, mostly on this forum, is very friendly,as i lurked and watched for a while before joining, as i was sort of a bit
scared, but i joined and im glad. :cheeky:

Thanks for that. I probably misled people with the title of this thread. I didnt mean i was spying on fellow members, me only here
and putting my big foot in it. I accidentally put the cursor over the name and realised it said , such and such online now, gave me
comfort, as ive said before, i work shifts and my sleep pattern is wrecked, so found it helpful that other people were up and about
when i couldnt sleep. Not computer savvy, so didnt realise there probably not, and im possibly one of the few up that cant sleep and
looking at the site , to see whats going on. Not sure about green dots, dont know what they mean. I filled my profile in, thought
you had to but after all this , i thought about deleting it. What makes me a bit uncomfortable is , that some people have looked at
my profile and hid their names,
whats that about. Didnt realise it was a crime, but maybe i"m just too trusting. Speak first and think
later. I think everyone, mostly on this forum, is very friendly,as i lurked and watched for a while before joining, as i was sort of a bit
scared, but i joined and im glad. :cheeky:

How can they do that?

Dont ask me how they did it, but they did. They"re probably computer savvy and know what to do. Find that bit
creepy. My profile basically says i liked QVC etc and a bit about me, nothing too personal. I respect that some
people dont like to give things away and thats their preogative. Didnt realise your not supposed to look at
peoples profile. Stupid again

If someone is on your profile but hides it, how do you know they've been there?

Jude xx

PS thanks Minim for answering about the + next to names. Doh! Simple really.

What??? Not supposed to look at peoples profiles?! What's that all about? On most forums the profiles are there to be used. You can find out more about a person or where they live etc. On the motorbike forums they're mainly used to show off photos of your bike and arrange ride outs by finding people local to you. If you don't want to put any details on your profile then you don't have to. Purely optional!! But they are definitely there for a reason. I quite like having a peek. If I get on well with someone I will have a little nosey sometimes to find out age or where from etc. I am not bothered who looks at mine and for what reason. There is nothing on there I want kept secret. So, keep on checking profiles all you want, no need to feel bad about it :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Akimbo, when someone goes to your profile and hides their name, it says "yuu had 3 visitors" so thats

how i knew, other people whod looked their names were just listed :thinking:

SparklyBarbs why are you thinking of deleting your profile? Like me you say you are not computer savy so I tend to think if people have viewed your profile but hidden their identities they may have done that by accident or not even known it. Don't suspect sinister intent! Maybe take it as a complement. You sparked their curiosity and I can't think how it could harm you.
And as to 'lurking' or the language of lurking I have to say I can't get to het up by people visiting the site and not becoming members, if I have the meaning right there. Do people really care that others do that?

I only thought about deleting my profile, as a lot of posters said they hadn"t filled theirs in , so i thought, maybe its not the done thing.
i"m not deleting it anyway, theres nothing of any real interest on it, only my interests etc, and i don"t mind it being there. It was my
instinct to fill it in so i"ll go with that. Other people like to keep theirs empty, and i respect that. When i said lurking it was with
tongue in cheek. A lot of people read the forum before they decide to take the "plunge" and join. You keep thinking must join and then
jump in , so here i am :happy:

and very glad you are! Always enjoy an interesting thread. The green dot appears next to our names when we are online it seems, by the way. Always like to learn something knew.

Yeah me too. Im learning all the time on the computer, this and that. My son was meant to help, but he lives
too far away, and if i ask him anything he just says, dunno. But i certainly know how to buy on the internet he he

You can always PM one of the moderators or Graham if you're not sure about something to do with the forum.

Anyone is welcome to view my profile. Last time I looked I'd had 77 viewings (I think ...)
Go on, have a look!

I don't understand why peeps feel uncomfortable about being looked at or guilty for looking. It's not as if you are giving out your bank details. You control the information.

I'm amazed people had not noticed the green dot as well.
I'm not computer savvy at all, I just noticed it immediately along with the information (who's on line) at the foot of the opening page.

Well some people mustn"t like you to know they"re looking at your profile if they hid their name. Anyone is welcome to
look at mine, as you say, Minim its not like its your bank details, not that it"d help, as my bank is still not up to date
yet, after all this time :wave:

Akimbo, when someone goes to your profile and hides their name, it says "yuu had 3 visitors" so thats

how i knew, other people whod looked their names were just listed :thinking:

I always thought/assumed that it was only able to list the last 10 visitors by name and any over that number it says 'you've had x number of visitors' so you know how many have looked, I don't think there's anything sinister in it !

Min I'll have viewed your profile every second Wednesday as I only ever access the site on my phone.

And if I haven't viewed yours yet SparklyBarbs it'll not be long.

I'm not nosey. I just have fat fingers lol.

Latest posts

Back