Spying on Fellow Posters

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I had a big red star and a little circle (too small for me to be sure of the colour of it as I still haven't been to Specsavers yet, but it looks yellow). But I can't see a + anywhere.

Not every VIP has a +, which prompted my Question. I don't have one either.

Jude xx

I'm not trying to hide anything in a sinister way by not having a profile filled in, but I am a private person who only wants to reveal what I choose about myself when I feel the time is right. I don't like facebook or twitter for the same reason. This is the internet, no matter how nice everyone on here seems, there are lurkers and trolls lurking who have no right to know squat about me. I hope that does not make me seem aloof or unfriendly to those of you who I chat to daily, but that is all I am comfortable doing.

People - if they were so inclined which I'm not - would only have to look up your posts weathergirl to find snippets that you've typed here to get a feel for who you are.
We all give a bit of ourselves away.

Yes Minim, and that's fine but I post what I choose knowingly, and if I were so inclined I could say what the hell I liked whether it were true or not. Iknow a few people who really have suffered by naieve use of the internet, revealed far too much of themselves and ended up really upset. This forum and one or 2 others are as far as I will go with the social media, and I never use the same user name, and sometimes change it. I never have a name that's anything close to the real me, I add or subtract a couple of years from my age, never give accurate details about my children because they can disclose what they want about themselves when they are old enough to decide for themselves. I don't knowingly disclose my location or occupation either. But apart from that I am an honest friendly person who likes QVC and it's products, works long, stupid hours and has a young family. I am happy for folks to know that!

Ues janie hate the fact that they just "do stuff" like put all your pictures on icloud, and then when you disable it lo and behold it's back again in a few days time without even asking if you eant it. I know many features of the iphone are common to sll smartphones like apps continuing to run in the background unless you remember to shut them down twice. If you don't remember to do this and disable 3G when you are out and about you end up usind shed loads of data unwittingly and then getting much higher bills and you have no idea why unless your provider tells you, because Apple certainly doesn'tmake it easy for new users to keep their bills down, they don't even give you an instruction book.

I don't use twitter or facebook either and I hate the assumption that everyone does, and that you repeatedly have to TELL your phone that no, I don't want you to auto tweet thank you very much.

There are many things I love about my iphone that I have got oodles of use out of such as the ebay app but I van get that on any smartphone, and hopefully an instruction book!

I also hate the "cult" of apple, and the almost blind allegiance to a brand. It gives me the creeps, too "big brother" for my liking. A bit like facebook and "Love" QVC. It's turning into a religion and I also am very wary of that (although not totally against....). God. Hslf five in the morning and I sm ranting. I need a sedative. Rant over, sorry.

thanks weathergirl. no need to be sorry - i asked and for someone clueless about phones like myself, your post is very informative. i don't even know what 3g is - is that the internet access bit? and what's G+ livelovelaugh mentioned? all greek to me.

i have a phone rant of my own. when i went to the states last year, i got a quadband phone (my old one was a brick) and it was confirmed by the t-mobile shop and the orange techies, it would work in the usa. so i arrived in chicago - alone, rang my american friend to tell him i arrived, phone wouldn't work. i'm going back in a couple weeks so took the phone in to the orange shop. they didn't know and got their techy people on the phone - first time i've held a smart phone (didn't like it, couldn't get my hand round it hardly). long story short from them, no phone is guarranteed to work there. i asked 'not even an iphone?' answer - no. so looks like i'll be in the same position this year. sigh.

as for profiles, i never look at mine or anyone else's intentionally so i've no idea what i put on mine when i joined up. not something i ever think about. i too am surprised, the information some people put online but that's up to them i suppose. at least facebook has good privacy settings. you can let anyone or everyone see as little or as much as you want. some people complain about facebook but don't bother to set their privacy settings!

I think 3G accesses the internet when you are not in a wifi hotspot. So if your apps are still running in the background you get updates via 3G unless you disable it or shut them down or both.

Your iPhone should work in the US but you may need to get it unlocked. If you bought it from Orange then they can factory unlock it for. If it's PAYG they might charge but I'd you're on a contract it should be free. Unlocking it means you can use a local sim card if you choose to do or a sim card that you buy here that will allow you to get cheaper calls. Watch your data usage though. That can be eyewatering and you can be better off using a card you buy here as they only allow calls and texts so there's no chance of running up a sky high bill.

HTH

Your iPhone should work in the US but you may need to get it unlocked. If you bought it from Orange then they can factory unlock it for. If it's PAYG they might charge but I'd you're on a contract it should be free. Unlocking it means you can use a local sim card if you choose to do or a sim card that you buy here that will allow you to get cheaper calls. Watch your data usage though. That can be eyewatering and you can be better off using a card you buy here as they only allow calls and texts so there's no chance of running up a sky high bill.

HTH

sorry tinkerbelle, i didn't explain that very well. i don't have an iphone (or i anything lol - made me laugh when the cabin crew said last year - if you have anything beginning with i, turn it off). i said 'not even an iphone?' to the orange man because i thought that was the elite of phones and he had just said there is no guarantee any phone will work there. what my phone did was "switching to at&t network, dialling, call ended" all in a couple seconds. he said the at&t netowrk in chicago wouldn't accept my phone, whereas in new york, it might do. never a guarantee. i don't have an opinion because mobiles have always been a mystery to me so i have to take his word for it. it's payg which means roaming is automatically activated.

I maybe put the wrong title on this thread. I"d hate you all to think i"m going to your profiles and looking up all about everyone. I"m
not, HONEST. I just meant if i"m up late it was comforting to know someone else was up at the ungodly hour not sleeping also, and i
wasn"t the only one, so apologies if you all think i"m spying on your private profiles, didn"t mean that.

There is an invisible mode which is quite handy so no one knows if you are there or not!

Yes & alternatively you can log out & come in as a 'visitor', but why would you want to?
I can't imagine. All smacks of 007 & all that.

As for not giving too much away, people innocently do. They might not give away the obvious - names, ages, professions etc, but I can think of at least two people that "left" this forum & resurrected themselves on here with new user-names & personalities. I spotted them.
Does it matter?
Of course not.
My point is that people are not as clever as they think they are & if they feel they need a new start, that's their business.

sorry tinkerbelle, i didn't explain that very well. i don't have an iphone (or i anything lol - made me laugh when the cabin crew said last year - if you have anything beginning with i, turn it off). i said 'not even an iphone?' to the orange man because i thought that was the elite of phones and he had just said there is no guarantee any phone will work there. what my phone did was "switching to at&t network, dialling, call ended" all in a couple seconds. he said the at&t netowrk in chicago wouldn't accept my phone, whereas in new york, it might do. never a guarantee. i don't have an opinion because mobiles have always been a mystery to me so i have to take his word for it. it's payg which means roaming is automatically activated.

Don't worry it could easily be me that got confused. I am an iPhone user that could also be why! Mine works fine in Europe and places like Dubai and Egypt. But I've got an early iPhone that's actually American and was originally locked to AT&T so I would take that to the US. I took it to Florida and it worked fine.

The travel sims are a great idea though for controlling costs and ditching any chance of data sneaking through as it's blocked.

Not travelled with my iphone yet, not sure I will keep it though. I do think there should at least be an instruction manual provided when you buy one.

Yes & alternatively you can log out & come in as a 'visitor', but why would you want to?
I can't imagine. All smacks of 007 & all that.

As for not giving too much away, people innocently do. They might not give away the obvious - names, ages, professions etc, but I can think of at least two people that "left" this forum & resurrected themselves on here with new user-names & personalities. I spotted them.
Does it matter?
Of course not.
My point is that people are not as clever as they think they are & if they feel they need a new start, that's their business.

I don't think it is "leaving" as such, I have left once and "not left" 3 times and used a different name on each occasion. Impressive that some peeps can spot it but at no point did trying to be clever ever come into the mix. Not in my case at least. I spotted a few others too, but not by scrutinising their posts and analyzing them, that would be sad. My reasons for having a new name have been varied, from trolls, to unwelcome PM's to plain old boredom even. Fundamentally a personality has many facets and posts will depend on mood or level of intoxication! I don't think you can ever tell someone's personality from a post, email or text even. Also, I may be wrong about some of the forumites who I thought had a new name because there are thousands of QVC viewers in this country, and the probability of having the same tastes and interests as many others is high I think. So I can never be sure... though I am happy to admit it those who aren't's secret is safe with me ;)

Just you lol.

Actually, the green button tells you & when you open the site - ShoppingTelly.com - who is on-line is at the very foot of the page.

I cannot see the green button, minim, maybe only more senior members can:thinking:

I can now, it is next to the user name, isn't it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back