Spot the cliche for 2016

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ah yes, the "crisp white shirt" although I much prefer cheese and onion.

:mysmilie_15: Oh they'll all be coming out soon, dress up/dress down, smart casual, little pump, classic heel, this season's colours, this season's shape, contained and wearable blah blah blah.

CC

:mysmilie_15: Oh they'll all be coming out soon, dress up/dress down, smart casual, little pump, classic heel, this season's colours, this season's shape, contained and wearable blah blah blah.

CC

Yes, the striped spotted lined black blue red green pink yellow orange block coloured patterned short long top will be bang on trend on the runway this Spring Summer. :mysmilie_17:

Buzzword Bingo...

Can I submit for consideration:

Anything with the suffix "wardrobe" as in "jewellery wardrobe" or "lipstick wardrobe" I blame Rob Locke for this one. Half a point for Runay's "wardrobe warrior" nonsense.

The use of the singular for garments when the plural is more usual: trouser, pump etc with double points for these preceded by the word "little"

All the usual superlatives: Incredible, Fantastic, Unbelievable...oooh I just spotted that the origins of these three examples share a meaning of something being inconceivable; the stuff of fantasy...so in reality the presenters aren't lying or stretching the truth, they're up front telling us not to believe the value/quality or whatever! Great job - keep it up!

Anything qualified by the word "honest" as in "in all honesty" or "TBH" What are the spouting the rest of the time? Oh yes "fantasy" silly me!

I've heard trouser instead of trousers - really annoys me ! Also JF and GH are fond of jargon such as colour way, depth of stock.

They are sure to come up with a completely new phrase which one presenter will use for a while and then they will all use. A previous phrase was the silly Americanism (Americanizm ?). "and change" when telling us how much - even if the change is 99 pence ! Not heard it for a while now.

They probably have no choice, being directed to use buzzwords to reinforce the presentations.

DBF's Get Yours has become a staple and I can't see it being dropped.

Charlie's 'take a look at this' spoken in hushed tone as if he is about to reveal something totally awesome like alien life not another Diamonique ring get's me reaching for the off button. I can't stand 'price point'. Why use two words when one will soon? Is it because they feel it sounds posher, or more professional? Can't stand 'investing in' or ' buying into' either. I buy or don't buy - I don't 'invest'!

I can't stand "price point" either, or "colour way". I've never heard those terms in shops or uttered by anyone other than qvc presenters

I thought they'd been instructed by ASA not to say something's "an investment" or likely to become an investment, especially when they are implying that jewellery will increase in value? But as the ASA have no clout, it seems they just ignore it, and the fact that they aren't valuers or financial advisers.
Charlie's 'take a look at this' spoken in hushed tone as if he is about to reveal something totally awesome like alien life not another Diamonique ring get's me reaching for the off button. I can't stand 'price point'. Why use two words when one will soon? Is it because they feel it sounds posher, or more professional? Can't stand 'investing in' or ' buying into' either. I buy or don't buy - I don't 'invest'!

Last edited:
Any sign of:

Fabrication
Simplistic
Coming through
Colour blocking
Dress it up dress it down

Folks it's only 4th day of the new year there is plenty of time for them all.

On top of EVERYTHING mentioned above i grit my teeth at

For you in every statement
Your - as in this is your blue, your silver option, your small size - THE THE THE

Adding - Congratulations if you got yours (Stratto reminded me) I feel they expect us to take a bleeding bow.

Will RJ add to his bunch of cliches ?

-new generation
-plant and stand back

Will Glen Campbell re-introduce the city short ?

Will the 'stylist' ever dress the plus-size models in the right size outfit ?

Heard my first "paintented" of the year. Not sure if that counts, though, as it isn't a real word outside of ignoramous towers.

The irony of QVC talking about crisp white shirts... when was the last time they actually sold one?

Oh - I'm waiting for more Edits... and also for Curated collections... these buzzwords are rife in other areas of the media already, can't be too long before QVC tell us they've curated our summer wardrobe or some such nonsense.

Bang on cue, I opened my email and saw an email from QVC with the title "check out our new Beauty Edit" :mysmilie_11:

Latest posts

Back