Returning next January???

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's now letting me play.

First impressions are good, especially the screen picture and its sensitivity.

It came with a page of setup instructions eg select language, set up wifi, and download the free apps (once agagin, these are STANDARD with the tablet, not QVC added value).

You were supposed to have a wizard to guide you through this, but I didn't get one, so had to fumble around myself (as no proper instructions).

Because I never got the question "Do you want to download the free apps?" I don't know how to do this.

The web browsing is OK, the 1st site I tried was this one. As I've not used a tablet before, IS THERE THE EQUIVALENT OF FAVOURITES so I don't have to keep typing in the web address?

There are a number of books, but all in foreign languages. This was commented on in the previous reviews, and somehow they found out how to get english ones, I think they had to ring up TMTI which I won't do on principle (expensive phone line).

More later.

If it's an Android tablet you can go into applications, play store and download apps from there. You need to set up a Google account if you haven't already done so. Most Android machines request you to do this as part of the set up process.

As for favourites - when you're in IE there is a star button at the top. This adds a favourite. There is also a bookmark symbol which will take you to all your saved favourites. There is a widget you can download which allows you to have all these on display on one of your screens. Hope that helps a little. If you have any more questions I will log onto my tablet later and see if I can help further. This is all from.memory so may not be 100% true, lol

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I Am using the default browser, no idea what it is. The apps I want are the free added value ones, don,t know what they are, I was just supposed to click download free apps, but never got the question

Typing this on tablet so excuse errors. I,ve done a hard reset but didn,t take me back to the welcome page which I never got in the first place, it just took me back to all the settings I had already set up.

Last edited:
What is a widget and how is it different from an app?

How can I highlight text eg to bold it? If I try to select by touching it, it justs moves it around!

Last edited:
Now gone back to PC.

First critical comment is that the camera facing me is at the top right corner, not in the centre.

Therefore, if I want to take a pic of me, it is not a front view but a 3/4 profile. I can obviously turn my head to look at the camera to get a front view, but then I can't see myself as the screen is 45 degrees to my left so is out of vision! This seems a ridiculous design fault.

So if I am on skype, for me to look at the screen of the person at the other end, they will see a 3/4 view of me, so it will look as if I am not looking at them.

Sorry for all these posts and queries but I just want to clarify something I said earlier.

According to QVC - - - -

Apps at your fingertips - the tablet comes preloaded with a host of useful applications to get you started, plus you can access the Google Play store to find hundreds of free and paid apps to help you work and play!

They implied that these were apps you would normally have to pay for.

According to the start-up instructions, it should have initially had a welcome screen, but I never got this. The welcome wizard was supposed to guide you through all the steps eg UK english not US, wifi etc. Then it was supposed to ask if you wanted to download all the "free bonus" apps, but I never got that question.

I don't know what the "host of free apps" are, so even if some are free I won't know what to download.

BTW I didn't like the default wallpaper as it was too"busy" so I couldn't see the icons easily.

I found some more but these were even worse, there were no plain backgrounds at all. Then I couldn't even get back to the original background, it wasn't on the list, so I did a hard reset (press a button with a pin) but it didn't take me back to the original wallpaper.

Any ideas if and how I can get a plain backgound?

Last edited:
I've now solved my query about how to save favourite websites, and emailed Prestigio about the missing apps.

Still playing with it and trying to find out how to use it.

I put some videos, music etc onto a memory stick and connected into the USB input and was able to play them, but couldn't find out how to copy them onto the tablet.

PS - - - - COULD A MOD PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE TO SOMETHING MORE MEANINGFUL, SUCH AS "REVIEW OF PRESTIGIO TABLET TSV"

Last edited:
If you look at the top right hand side of your screen there is a pattern of squares. Press on that and your other aps will show up. There is play store on there. Press on that to choose your other aps. Go onto youtube and type in Prestigio multi android 4 and there will be demonstrations.

I would have bought an ipad years ago EXCEPT that it has 3 major ommissions of features that I need, which are all in the Prestigio.

(1) A USB connection, so I can drag and drop any photos, videos and music onto it from my PC. I can also do this from a memory stick.

(2) A HDMI output so if I am in a hotel, I can watch my own videos on the TV instead of the 10" screen.

(3) A memory-card slot so I can plug in my camera card directly, and expand the memory. The Prestigio has 16GB built-in, plus the 8GB card. A card up to 32GB can be used, giving a total memory of 48GB.

I would be interested to hear from ipad users if these ommissions can be overcome by some method I don't know about.

I would have bought an ipad years ago EXCEPT that it has 3 major ommissions of features that I need, which are all in the Prestigio.

(1) A USB connection, so I can drag and drop any photos, videos and music onto it from my PC. I can also do this from a memory stick.

(2) A HDMI output so if I am in a hotel, I can watch my own videos on the TV instead of the 10" screen.

(3) A memory-card slot so I can plug in my camera card directly, and expand the memory. The Prestigio has 16GB built-in, plus the 8GB card. A card up to 32GB can be used, giving a total memory of 48GB.

I would be interested to hear from ipad users if these ommissions can be overcome by some method I don't know about.

1. Yes, you can get a HDMI dock connector for the iPad. We downloaded the first series of the Danish THE KILLIng on iTunes. The HDMI connector was used to connect the iPad to the TV to watch it.

2. You can get a little portable SD card connector to plug into your iPad so you can transfer photos from the SD card in your camera to your iPad. You cannot plug in a memory stick though.

There is no expandable memory slot on the iPad. I have a 32GB iPad and this is quite adequate for my needs. You can buy a 64GB version as well.

I use an iPhone 5, New iPad and a MacBook Pro. iCloud automatically backs up all my photos, music, files, etc to all devices over WiFi at home, so I have no need for USB memory sticks and I have no worries about stuff being saved.

Quite honestly, life is so much easier using Apple products as they all work in sync together, seamlessly and without me having to back everything up or save stuff on memory sticks. I've also has a MacBook Pro for 2 years and its as fast as ever, updates are regular and free and the latest Mountain Lion OS X update cost about £13 from recollection. It all just works. No viruses, no bugs, no bloatware, no slowness or clunkiness.

Once you've had Mac, you'll never, ever, go back.

Hope this answers your questions

Flamenco you should be on commission! I bought the IPad after one of Flamenco's very informative posts on the IPad . It's my BEST purchase EVER! My Son had never shown any interest in one but bought one after trying mine.

Flamenco you should be on commission! I bought the IPad after one of Flamenco's very informative posts on the IPad . It's my BEST purchase EVER! My Son had never shown any interest in one but bought one after trying mine.

Awwww thank you very much!! If only I was on commission *dreams*!!!

Stratobuddy, how are you getting on with your purchase. It is getting a few good reviews now.

I ordered it at 2212 after lots of arguments about it (with myself).

If this doesn't live up to the presentaions I will return soon under DSR, .

Just so you know, stratobuddy, you can only return under DSR if you haven't used an item. I fell foul of that with an Archos tablet- as it turned out, it was faulty, loads of people had problems with it, so I received a return label for it anyhow, but items do have to be unused and I also seem to remember that DSRdoesn't apply to cosmetics and toiletries- can anyone correct me if I am wrong, please?

Just so you know, stratobuddy, you can only return under DSR if you haven't used an item. I fell foul of that with an Archos tablet- as it turned out, it was faulty, loads of people had problems with it, so I received a return label for it anyhow, but items do have to be unused and I also seem to remember that DSRdoesn't apply to cosmetics and toiletries- can anyone correct me if I am wrong, please?

You are right. You also have to notify QVC in writing within 7 days of receiving the item that you are cancelling under the DSR. It would be unreasonable to expect a seller to wait 4 months before a buyer cancels. IN any event the goods have to be returned in brand new condition so they can be resold. Its OK to try on clothes, provided you don't remove the tags, and then return them on the basis they don't fit/look good etc. The key is returning them in resaleable condition. The tablet therefore cannot be used and then returned and cancelled under the DSR.

I think you can return cosmetics and perfume under the DSR, again, provided they have not been opened or used. They cannot be resold in either condition.

Of course, you can use an item bought from QVC and returned under the 30 day MBG (or extended MBG period over Xmas) but you will lose your postage both ways.

If the item is faulty, then QVC must refund postage both ways.

Hope this clarifies.

In the case of your faulty tablet, the Sale of Goods Act would then apply, so you would not be left out of pocket anyway. QVC will always supply a returns label in the case of faulty (or misdescribed!) goods & will also refund your original p&p.

As regards the DSRs, the QVC site states:

9.4 You also have a statutory right to cancel your purchase. If you wish to cancel you must tell us in writing, including by fax (fax number 0151 551 2614) or email (please see our webform at www.qvcuk.com for email cancellations) within 7 working days from the day after the date on which the product is delivered. You should keep evidence of having given your cancellation notice, such as a certificate of posting or fax confirmation report. You must take reasonable care of the product and you should return the product to us (at your own risk and cost) within 7 working days of notifying us of your cancellation. The product must be returned unused (except to the extent use was reasonably necessary to examine the product). Please return the product with its original packaging. The following products are excluded from this legal right to cancel: (i) perishable products such as food or flowers; (ii) audio/video recordings, DVDs or computer software that you have taken out of the sealed packaging in which they were delivered to you; (iii) products made to your own specification; (iv) periodicals or magazines; and (v) any other products that by reason of their nature cannot be returned. We will refund the purchase price of the product together with the delivery charge you paid to receive the product.

They are not very specific about what might come under '(v)' but this would not be cosmetics, toiletries etc., despite what other sites (& many eBay sellers!) might claim.
Unlike most sites, you do always have QVC's 30 day mbg to fall back on in the case of food etc., so you're at least covered for the item cost in any situation.

In the case of your faulty tablet, the Sale of Goods Act would then apply, so you would not be left out of pocket anyway. QVC will always supply a returns label in the case of faulty (or misdescribed!) goods & will also refund your original p&p.

As regards the DSRs, the QVC site states:

9.4 You also have a statutory right to cancel your purchase. If you wish to cancel you must tell us in writing, including by fax (fax number 0151 551 2614) or email (please see our webform at www.qvcuk.com for email cancellations) within 7 working days from the day after the date on which the product is delivered. You should keep evidence of having given your cancellation notice, such as a certificate of posting or fax confirmation report. You must take reasonable care of the product and you should return the product to us (at your own risk and cost) within 7 working days of notifying us of your cancellation. The product must be returned unused (except to the extent use was reasonably necessary to examine the product). Please return the product with its original packaging. The following products are excluded from this legal right to cancel: (i) perishable products such as food or flowers; (ii) audio/video recordings, DVDs or computer software that you have taken out of the sealed packaging in which they were delivered to you; (iii) products made to your own specification; (iv) periodicals or magazines; and (v) any other products that by reason of their nature cannot be returned. We will refund the purchase price of the product together with the delivery charge you paid to receive the product.

They are not very specific about what might come under '(v)' but this would not be cosmetics, toiletries etc., despite what other sites (& many eBay sellers!) might claim.
Unlike most sites, you do always have QVC's 30 day mbg to fall back on in the case of food etc., so you're at least covered for the item cost in any situation.

Opened or used cosmetics CANNOT be returned under the DSR as they cannot be resold in that condition and it is not reasonable to expect the seller to lose the entire cost of the cosmetic item returned. If it is returned in the same condition received, i.e. brand new and sealed, then it can be returned under the DSR. I am an Ebay seller and make this clear in my listings. That said, I've never had a single buyer cancel and return a beauty item under the DSR.

Opened or used cosmetics CANNOT be returned under the DSR as they cannot be resold in that condition and it is not reasonable to expect the seller to lose the entire cost of the cosmetic item returned. If it is returned in the same condition received, i.e. brand new and sealed, then it can be returned under the DSR. I am an Ebay seller and make this clear in my listings. That said, I've never had a single buyer cancel and return a beauty item under the DSR.

You can't use/wear things for a month or whatever & then decide to send them back as a change of mind return, no, however......

(OFT Guidelines)
Can I insist that consumers who cancel an order within the
cancellation period return the goods as new or in their
original packaging?
3.58 No. Consumers are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods
while in their possession as discussed in paragraph 3.44. The DSRs
allow consumers to examine goods they have ordered as they would
in a shop. If that requires opening the packaging and trying out the
goods then they have not breached their duty to take reasonable
care of the goods. In these circumstances you cannot insist that
consumers return the goods as new or in their original packaging.
You may ask consumers to return goods with the original packaging,
but you cannot insist on this. In the case of goods such as earrings
that have hygiene seals, you may require consumers to exercise
reasonable care by not removing the seals when examining them.

and also (from not hard to guess where!):

Trading Standards have asked us to bring to business sellers’ attention sections 3.41 to 3.44 of the following OFT advice on consumers’ right of return under the Distance Selling Regulations (DSRs). They note that many business sellers use language in their returns policy such as “do not accept returns due to hygiene” and “no returns due to hygiene”.
However, the OFT advice states that while a business may require that a consumer does not break a hygiene seal on an item, and consumers have a duty under the DSRs to take reasonable care of the goods throughout the cancellation period, the definition of “reasonable care” depends on a number of factors: “It may be reasonable for the supplier to stipulate what they consider to be reasonable care, such as not removing hygiene seals on garments or only trying out shoes indoors. But these stipulations cannot restrict a consumer’s reasonable opportunity to inspect and assess the product. Consumers have the right to cancel even if they fail to take reasonable care of the goods; however the DSRs do give suppliers a right of action against consumers for breach of the statutory duty to take reasonable care.”

The above is not for items that are specifically exempt, i.e. unsealed software etc., food, personalised items & so on. It's a cruel, tough world, yay for the EU, huh?
It is also best to be wary of how one's return policy is phrased, stating illegal terms (like charging a restocking fee or having an illegal returns policy for example) or not giving buyers need to know information (correct contact details for example) basically cancels out the 7 day return period afforded to compliant sellers & gives buyers anything up to 3 months to use their cancellation rights, until they receive said correct info etc. basically!

Pretty poo really & the eBay boards are always full of sellers bewailing their miserable lot in life but the powers that be care not if you have to chuck pallet loads of stuff away that you can't re-sell if returned, it comes under the tough luck category.
It will only get worse too, as I believe next year the 7 days (for sellers with a compliant info & return policy) will be extended to 14 & the DSRs will also cover auctions as well as BINs.....! Joy of joys.

In other words, if a buyer can only see the actual colour of an eye shadow, the scent of a lipstick or whatever by breaking a hygiene seal to open it up, you must refund as per the DSRs, even if you have to chuck it when it's returned to you, that is the law, crap though it may be. If they have clearly taken the pee by obviously using a good chunk of something, you must refund & then bill them for it afterwards.
Maybe there is something to be said for b&m shops after all......?

I am not sure whether it is faulty or not.

Firstly, QVC kept demoing the quick start up. "Just press the button, then slide the lock to the right" they said. But when I press the button, I have to sit through about a minute of a slideshow of Prestigio adverts before the slider appears, it takes longer than my PC to start up.

Then, when it wakes up after going to sleep, the screen is extremely dim (almost invisible) but keeps flashing between dim and slightly brighter. I've had to press the reset pin 1/2 dozen times to get out of this, then sit through the ads again! On one occasion, I just managed to read the dim screen and went through all the menus to set the screen brightness, then it was OK again.

I still haven't got any of the pre-loaded apps.

Most of the books are in Rumanian (or similar). I downloaded a book from the store, it said it had downloaded, but 2 days later I still haven't found it!

I haven't seen the reviews yet, I'll have a look now.

Latest posts

Back