Recorded Delivery Returns

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mam

Registered Shopper
Could I have some advice please?

I am so fed up of the cost of QVC's p & p and returns postage, that I now really begrudge paying the extra cost for recorded delivery.

Does everyone adhere to this rule of recorded delivery or is it worth taking the risk of just straight forward 2nd class postage with a receipt?

I'd be glad to hear any opinions on this.

Many thanks.

I only return jewellery by recorded delivery as it's not covered for loss if you don't. Everything else goes back by 'cheapest way' with proof of posting in case of need to claim. Only one item has ever been lost on the way back, I sent a photocopy of my proof of posting to CS and was credited with the return.

Could I have some advice please?

I am so fed up of the cost of QVC's p & p and returns postage, that I now really begrudge paying the extra cost for recorded delivery.

Does everyone adhere to this rule of recorded delivery or is it worth taking the risk of just straight forward 2nd class postage with a receipt?

I'd be glad to hear any opinions on this.

Many thanks.

I always use 2nd class postage for any returns and get the 'proof of postage' slip. Only once has my return parcel gone astray and QVC refunded me when I sent a photocopy of the slip to them. If I was returning a AAA tanzanite ring (highly unlikely I'd buy one in the first place, ;)) I'd use a recorded service.

Thanks everyone.

The reason I asked is that I once had a package go astray with only 2nd class postage and a proof receipt. QVC did refund me but sent me a letter stating that if I didn't use the recorded service, they could not guarantee to do the same if it happened again. I was really annoyed as I am not really concerned whether or not they have received the parcel!! The fact that I have proof that it was returned should surely be enough.

Thanks again everyone.

it tells you to return by RM 2nd class on the returns label of everything i've ever had....so that's what i've always done and no probs. ;)

Same for me. I think it says to use a "signed for" service for anything over £200 but that's never applied to me!

I think unless QVC start saying "You must use recorded delivery" on their returns slips, then they can't really complain if you don't. I just make sure I have the proof of posting slip.

I should probably stop returning so much though. I fully expect to get "the letter" at some point!!

Royal Mail rules on valuable items

Hi,
Royal Mail rules on valuable items state that you should use Special Delivery for valuable items and all fine jewellery, even if it is worth less than £36. I have fallen foul of this rule, of which I was ignorant at the time, when I sent a bracelet worth £32 to an Ebay customer by Recorded Delivery and it went missing. RM refused to compensate me for the loss and as I had already refunded my customer, I was severely out of pocket.

Recorded delivery is a tracking service, but it is not secure - Special Delivery items are locked in a cage whilst in the sorting office, whilst Recorded Delivery items are just in among the general mail and so vulnerable to theft, loss etc. Postmen don't always bother to get a signature either, so you can't even be sure your item was delivered. It has happened to me twice this last week already, when Recorded items have arrived safely (I was informed by the recipients by 'phone), but they are not showing as delivered on the Royal Mail website.

I don't think I will bother with recorded delivery at all in future.

I have always just used 2nd class - as it tells you to on the label, and got a proof of postage in case of problems. Not had any so far thankfully. I'm unlikely to post anything of major value back to them, but if it was a couple of hundred I'd probably think again.
Royal Mail is a pain for posting jewellery, I can understand their point about Special Delivery if it's valuable, but if the bling is just a few quid it's really mean that they won't cover it.

Hi,
Royal Mail rules on valuable items state that you should use Special Delivery for valuable items and all fine jewellery, even if it is worth less than £36. I have fallen foul of this rule, of which I was ignorant at the time, when I sent a bracelet worth £32 to an Ebay customer by Recorded Delivery and it went missing. RM refused to compensate me for the loss and as I had already refunded my customer, I was severely out of pocket.

Recorded delivery is a tracking service, but it is not secure - Special Delivery items are locked in a cage whilst in the sorting office, whilst Recorded Delivery items are just in among the general mail and so vulnerable to theft, loss etc. Postmen don't always bother to get a signature either, so you can't even be sure your item was delivered. It has happened to me twice this last week already, when Recorded items have arrived safely (I was informed by the recipients by 'phone), but they are not showing as delivered on the Royal Mail website.

I don't think I will bother with recorded delivery at all in future.

Our man at the post office (is a real sweetie) always tells me not to bother with recorded delivery - he says all it does is puts up a red flag - look out I'm important for all and sundry to see. He says there's no tracking whatso ever on it and that I should use guaranteed delivery which I can track from all points and check it has been delivered.

I always use First class recorded delivery for anything I am returning and have had no problems with delivery. The pre-paid envelope second class takes far to long.

The notes on the returns slip (above the tick boxes) say that you only need to use a 'signed for' service for items valued at more than £200. And yet the post office won't accept them if you told them it was that much, so I've never been sure what to do.

Special Delivery

The notes on the returns slip (above the tick boxes) say that you only need to use a 'signed for' service for items valued at more than £200. And yet the post office won't accept them if you told them it was that much, so I've never been sure what to do.

The Post Office do a Special Delivery service that insures the contents up to a value of 500 pounds. I sent a ring back to Ideal World using this service and it was under a fiver.

Bet

The Letter

Same for me. I think it says to use a "signed for" service for anything over £200 but that's never applied to me!

I think unless QVC start saying "You must use recorded delivery" on their returns slips, then they can't really complain if you don't. I just make sure I have the proof of posting slip.

I should probably stop returning so much though. I fully expect to get "the letter" at some point!!

I send lots back........what is this letter......should I be worried?

Bet

I have only sent items back to QVC using 1st/2nd class normal post, and I have never had any problems. I begrudge spending any more money, when they charge so much for postage and packing anyway.

I've not sent much back, but I return them by first class post, but by special delivery if it's jewellery.

When I had a coat to return I rang CS and said "This will cost a fortune to return" and they arranged for the courier to collect it, free of charge.

I too had 'the letter' , over 10 years ago, after one item didn't appear to have arrived and I had proof of postage - I felt really put out at being asked to use a signed for service, as I had followed their instructions in the first place - that having been said, I find recorded delivery a complete waste of time - I've had packages delivered to me where the postie has ripped off the label if I'm not here to sign (yes, I reported it of course, and Royal Mail couldn't have cared less!). I prefer to use special delivery, but this is expensive and it does depend on the value of whatever I am posting - th benefit is that returns sent this way are processed really quickly.

the letter seems to be generated if you send too much back ( around 50% i think )....so in effect the no quibble returns policy is quibbled !!! :20:

....or it's quibbleable.:tits:
I've sent loads back with a ordinary 2nd class postage but it does help if you have proof of postage for QVC.

Latest posts

Back