RCM One Step Gel system

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

How long does the varnish last with the Sensational base stickers (approx)? I have trained to do UV Gel polish but on my own nails I can barely get a week without a small chip :-( I am concerned about too much acetone soaking.

Also, if anyone has a spare RCM lamp and wants to sell, please let me know how much you'd be asking. As long as it's LED. I use UV now and want to swap to LED as I have experienced ever so slight blistering on my fingers. It's all rather worrying! Wish I had the type of nail that would hold normal nail varnish for more than a few hours!

I get around 5 days from the sensational base stickers. You do need to apply them properly. I recently cleaned a whole house with them on and they lasted remarkably well with all the cleaning products, though eventually the ones on my dominant hand did come off but the thumb and little fingers remained intact. I did try to wear rubber gloves but sometimes I was in such a hurry I did not. I have managed to touch up the varnish if it has lifted with the base sticker.
The main thing to avoid is hot water as the method to remove the base is to put hands in hot water for 5 minutes.
They are so easy to remove

How long does the varnish last with the Sensational base stickers (approx)? I have trained to do UV Gel polish but on my own nails I can barely get a week without a small chip :-( I am concerned about too much acetone soaking.

Also, if anyone has a spare RCM lamp and wants to sell, please let me know how much you'd be asking. As long as it's LED. I use UV now and want to swap to LED as I have experienced ever so slight blistering on my fingers. It's all rather worrying! Wish I had the type of nail that would hold normal nail varnish for more than a few hours!

i get a week to ten days but my nails are really in poor condition. it does chip a little after 5 days though. normal nail varnish no matter how good opi is my fav does not last a day. are all led lamps the same

Thanks both. That's really useful to know. I may pick some up at the weekend. They may even last longer than the gel application!

There are different wattage lamps. I was advised to get the highest possible to do it professionally, but my old RCM always did an excellent job. I only do it for myself and one friend these days, so don't mind having a 'non professional' lamp.

I just want at least a week of lush nails!

Thanks both. That's really useful to know. I may pick some up at the weekend. They may even last longer than the gel application!

There are different wattage lamps. I was advised to get the highest possible to do it professionally, but my old RCM always did an excellent job. I only do it for myself and one friend these days, so don't mind having a 'non professional' lamp.

I just want at least a week of lush nails!

i know the feeling. my nails wont grow properly but at least they look nice covered up in a nice glossy gel manicure. makes me feel a lot better having pretty nails

Don't bother with Leighton Denny system, I bought it including the lamp and it's nowhere near as good.
Nails chip and peel after a day. His normal nail polish is far better.

Does anyone know if there's any kind of gel system that doesn't need the acetone soak? I'm primarily interested in the strengthening/protective effects of the gel rather than colours, but the acetone soak undoes a lot of that.

Does anyone know if there's any kind of gel system that doesn't need the acetone soak? I'm primarily interested in the strengthening/protective effects of the gel rather than colours, but the acetone soak undoes a lot of that.

I know - it's one of the ironies - nail products seem to corner the market in "nasties".

I've just been out and bought Nail Envy for peeling and sensitive nails as it's a non-formaldehyde formula (all the other versions of Nail Envy have it in... as do most other nail strengthening products). My nails are forever delaminating. I've bought Leighton Denny's renovate, but I also wanted a strengthener. I'm finding it difficult to grow my nails, so I'm constantly on the lookout for other products. I've got the MicroCell, but that's got 2% Formaldehyde in it.

The thing with acetone, is that there are different strengths to it. The strongest ones are the ones (often non-retail) which are likely to be the most effective at quickly removing the gel nails. Mostly the retail product with acetone in it is much too weak for the job. I've got a bottle of Sensationail remover which I used to remove my gel nails, and it did a patch job of it. Personally, I think that using acetone is unavoidable so it's better to go for stronger, and get the whole gel treatment off quickly in one go without having to scrub and scour and reapply.

I hate the soaking stage as it takes time, but the rcm own one is very gentle and doesn't dry the nails.

zAz

P
Sorry just seen your post, I have a spare Rcm LED lamp, that I have never used, and am quite happy to part it with it, if you are interested, you can pm me, I would not want a great deal for it but obviously need to factor in postage, have think and let me know if you are interested ��

Just bought one of the new gels direct from RCM to see how it does. They have videos up of the new technique. £15.95 a bottle, but no base or topcoat needed.

i was thinking of just buying the gel from qvc and using my led lamp from sensationails. but i heard it takes ages to get it off. the boots acetone is 97% acetone with "conditioners" but its harsh and i find even after 15 mins i have to scrub the gel off.

anather problem is the stickers are comming off a bit too fast 3 days is not good. so it looks as if i will have to go back to the old method. will give the rcm a try but it seems that qvc want to get people to buy the whole system for £55 in post. not really pushing the single item

I traipsed off to town yesterday to get some Sensationail base stickers, but none to be found in our local Boots (which is not very well stocked with anything these days). I'll have to order some online - and then they wonder why the High St is dying?

i was thinking of just buying the gel from qvc and using my led lamp from sensationails. but i heard it takes ages to get it off. the boots acetone is 97% acetone with "conditioners" but its harsh and i find even after 15 mins i have to scrub the gel off.

anather problem is the stickers are comming off a bit too fast 3 days is not good. so it looks as if i will have to go back to the old method. will give the rcm a try but it seems that qvc want to get people to buy the whole system for £55 in post. not really pushing the single item
Are you having hot showers or putting your hands in hot water? That causes the stickers to lift?

I traipsed off to town yesterday to get some Sensationail base stickers, but none to be found in our local Boots (which is not very well stocked with anything these days). I'll have to order some online - and then they wonder why the High St is dying?

mine are comming off like socks. lost two nails in the space of three days. so will not be using the base stickers on myself. my daughter wants to try so she can have them

Totally ignorant .....

In what way are gel system different than normal varnish ? Is it the fact that it only lasts longer ? Are they kind to nails .

Well I have bitten my nails my whole life and just two months back have grown them .I love to paint my nails and they last more than 10 days even with housework .I don't want to harm my nails if only for the lasting longer bit .was interested in the RCM ,that's why this query
Thanks for any info .

My nails do not seem to harden off at all when using ordinary polish. It's completely useless me trying, even having it done professionally. With RCM I can wear polish.My nails grow more strongly when I use it. You are lucky if ordinary varnish stays on for you for that time. You probably won't get much longer with a gel.

Totally ignorant .....

In what way are gel system different than normal varnish ? Is it the fact that it only lasts longer ? Are they kind to nails .

Well I have bitten my nails my whole life and just two months back have grown them .I love to paint my nails and they last more than 10 days even with housework .I don't want to harm my nails if only for the lasting longer bit .was interested in the RCM ,that's why this query
Thanks for any info .

The gel nail polish is cured under a lamp, so it dries instantly and sets very hard. To remove it, you have to soak the nail in acetone, which is not kind to nails at all. There are a number of different brands available. (The one used in most salons is Shellac).
Marks & Spencers stock the Red Carpet gel colours, and you can also buy direct from RCM online, Sensationail is available at Boots, Leighton Denny does a range, as do OPI.

The Pros: sets rock hard, so lasts up to 2 weeks without chipping, IF you can apply it properly, and makes your nails feel really strong whilst it's on. It's cheap to do your own, once you have laid out for the kit, which includes the necessary curing lamp, base and top coats etc.

The Cons: difficult to apply your own to a professional standard, as you would get in a nail salon, and soaking off in acetone is the death knell to nails and cuticles. It can be difficult to remove, unless you use the nail base stickers we've been discussing, but apparently these can come off too quickly for some people.

Hope this helps - and very well done for stopping nail biting!

Latest posts

Back