RCM One Step Gel system

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My nail lady says that getting gel on cuticles or skin can trigger an allergic reaction. And that for some people once it has triggered, they can never go back to using gel.

This is quite informative:-

http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/avoidingskinallergies.html

thanks what an interesting read. will be very careful and give the nails a bit of a break (if you pardon the pun) that should help thicken them up in between gel polish application

I've actually developed an allergic reaction to gel polish and have had to stop using it and applying it on my friends The skin behind my thumb nails is all cracked, fissured and bleeding. The skin on some fingers, around the cuticle area, is inflamed and sore to the touch.

I knew the risks involved but was at my wits end with peeling and chipping nails that I persevered with gel polish. I read a very interesting article where a Dermatologist was commenting on the whole system. He recommended that you soaked off the polish in acetone until you could gently push it off, rather than scrape it off. Every time you scrape you remove a layer of natural nail. thus exposing it to potential infections etc. He also recommended that you leave it an hour after soaking before reapplying the polish.

As much as I love having perfectly, painted nails, my health is more important so I am having a break from all things nails! Without wishing to sound melodramatic, my thumbs are in agony! You'd be surprised at how much you use them.

You poor thing! I was wincing reading that. It's awful when things are wrong with your hands - you can't do a thing without them, and for everything to be painful to do.... Horrible! Hope things pick up soon for you.

I have the RCM which I use for my toes - I used to do my fingers but find it hard to do my own. I find wrapping the nails up with the acetone and cotton wool etc then putting a warm wheat bag on top makes removal much easier -or you can buy proper bowls off eBay (not expensive) where you put the acetone in the top and hot water in the base - thereby warming the acetone up. This is what the professionals use.

The lady who does my fingers now (shellac) does not remove the colour each time. If you start with a pale colour then just buff most of it off, just start over next time with base then a darker colour. You can build up week by week until you have dark on and want to go back to a pale colour or your nails get so thick you have to remove it. I sometimes go 6-8 times before total removing which means my nails are so thick you cannot break them and this also means hardly ever having to use the dreaded acetone on them. It is also cheaper as I only pay for removal a couple of times a year.
Thanks for this tip about just filing off the top coats and then putting on n the full gels.. I did this last Thursday and today is Monday and my nails still look great. I was surprised that when I put on the base coat which also needed to cover the regrow, it covered it well and the nail looks flat. I will keep going as long as possible with this method as I find it very difficult to get the gel off even soaking my nails in warm neat acetone

I did the same yesterday for the first time and very pleased, thank you Rosey.

Latest posts

Back