Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well, it's been a ****** long time since I've logged on here, but I've continued to lurk for years. I have to say, I'm kind of enjoying watching this zombie version of Ideal World... but I do have to wonder what happened to some of incredibly talented individuals we all loved?!

Where on earth is Rob Locke? Surely if the bottom of the barrel is being scraped to put this channel together he deserves another ride?

Enjoyed that video comp and had a good laugh, thanks.
The impression of how PS would sell the phone was spot-on!
Think I read somewhere Locke is in La La Land doing acting/ voice/ scripts/ production or something.
Used to enjoy Locke in latter days and on the ITV late evening IW extension. As stated by @The Duke of Cheese and as Locke says in the video he tried to remind the management, he didn't take it too seriously and treated it as TV entertainment, not just shopping, which to my mind is right, as you need to watch TV for a reason before you might buy something there, or you'd just go elsewhere.
If a product appeals, then you buy from people when you feel comfortable.
That's one problem with Shop Pay Extra, the presenters put you on edge, I don't feel comfortable with them, their manic style or overhyped content and consequently I wouldn't feel comfortable purchasing anything from them or the site.

Last edited:
Very crafty ploy to put this show just before the 6 o’clock launch of an ODS. They are hoping crafters will be switching on early and think what a bargain. Crafters like making their planners and it is a 2024 one being offered.
Why don't they sell things people want?
Things like diaries and calendars for the new year would be a good crossover product between C&C and SE.

Why is it weird highpriced branded unique things like Piranha, Greenworks, Vostok, eBikes, H2O, exercise kit, foot spas, etc ?
It's not a luxury lifestyle channel, it's a shop.

Why don't they sell things people need and buy like domestic items, cleaning products, decent mops, brushes, buckets, window cleaners, kitchen bowls, bathroom products, chocolates, vanity sets, kettles, toasters. Basically more like B&M or Home Bargains, The Range, etc.

Surely some of those retailers could do with a B2C home delivery channel for those who don't want to traipse to the high street or drive to out of town car park units.

Why don't they buy remaindered Wilko stock and sell that? People like Wilko and would buy their stuff if there's no high street store to get it from too.

Why don't they sell things people want?
Things like diaries and calendars for the new year would be a good crossover product between C&C and SE.

Why is it weird highpriced branded unique things like Piranha, Greenworks, Vostok, eBikes, H2O, exercise kit, foot spas, etc ?
It's not a luxury lifestyle channel, it's a shop.

Why don't they sell things people need and buy like domestic items, cleaning products, decent mops, brushes, buckets, window cleaners, kitchen bowls, bathroom products, chocolates, vanity sets, kettles, toasters. Basically more like B&M or Home Bargains, The Range, etc.

Surely some of those retailers could do with a B2C home delivery channel for those who don't want to traipse to the high street or drive to out of town car park units.

Why don't they buy remaindered Wilko stock and sell that? People like Wilko and would buy their stuff if there's no high street store to get it from too.
That would make too much sense

I think the drone shows irritate me more than watch shows. - though both are just as intentionally misleading.

I love that the absolute 🔔🔚 keeps banging on about RDM and Handy Solutions being “Great British brands” as if that means anything of worth.

British produce? We love it.
Made in Britain? With supporting.

But they’re neither.

They’re a shell name picking products designed, engineered and manufactured in China out of a catalog, importing them, slapping a lazy logo on them and THEN trying to position them to slow-thinkers from a “support British” angle.

Which is so insulting.

Well, it's been a ****** long time since I've logged on here, but I've continued to lurk for years. I have to say, I'm kind of enjoying watching this zombie version of Ideal World... but I do have to wonder what happened to some of incredibly talented individuals we all loved?!

Where on earth is Rob Locke? Surely if the bottom of the barrel is being scraped to put this channel together he deserves another ride?

Oh dear. I was told this clip had been posted - Well at least I'm not around on Shop Extra to make a fool of myself there!

Totally off topic but seeing Peter Simon on TJC with Daddy Fields and Gamages watches was a masterclass in cringe, hyperbole, and overselling. How Shop (and pay) Extra must miss him.

But just when I didn't think that show could be bettered (in awfulness)...

He was then tasked with selling a USB space projector light (that was also a tub you filled with water so it can spray vapor at random intervals for no clear reason) and BOOM - he slipped into full-on Kinkade/Lumio mode. Exquisite stuff.

"Walk among the stars of the heavens as you fly through the constellations of Orion, Copernicus, and Pluto, observing the moons and stars of Venus in the night sky of cosmology, lay back and look up in wonder at the vastness of the solar system..."

All of that nonsense.

It was made more amusing by the fact the space scene the plastic tat actually projects is this:

The-5th-Season-Double-Spray-Projection-Humidifier-with-Lavender-Essent_6280145_1.jpg

Yes, a random assortment of child-friendly space shapes including colour rocket ships, nothing cosmological or scientifically accurate at all. Such wonder! Such magnificence! Just buy it!

Last edited:
Totally off topic but seeing Peter Simon on TJC with Daddy Fields and Gamages watches was a masterclass in cringe, hyperbole, and overselling. How Shop (and pay) Extra must miss him.

He was then tasked with selling a USB space projector light (that was also a tub you filled with water so it can spray vapor at random intervals for no clear reason) and BOOM - he slipped into full-on Kinkade/Lumio mode. Exquisite stuff.

"Walk among the stars of the heavens as you fly through the constellations of Orion, Copernicus, and Pluto, observing the moons and stars of Venus in the night sky of cosmology, lay back and look up in wonder at the vastness of the solar system..."

All of that nonsense.

It was made more amusing by the fact the space scene the plastic tat actually projects is this:

View attachment 26530

Yes, a random assortment of child-friendly space shapes including colour rocket ships, nothing cosmological or scientifically accurate at all. Such wonder! Such magnificence! Just buy

All of that nonsense.

View attachment 26530

Yes, a random assortment of child-friendly space shapes including colour rocket ships, nothing cosmological or scientifically accurate at all. Such wonder! Such magnificence! Just buy it!
Did he mention his trip to Uranus 🚀

Oh dear. I was told this clip had been posted - Well at least I'm not around on Shop Extra to make a fool of myself there!
Why not? Wouldn't you love to resurrect a double act with PeterS, or do a slot with ShaunR?

I've not seen them sell a phone, tablet or tech on Shop Extra or TJC, beyond a smart watch, but you're the man for that. At least you understood technology properly, more than some of those presenters!

What are you up to? Do you work in tech? Always curious what the experts do when they're not on a TV slot talking tech.

All of that nonsense.

View attachment 26530

Yep, exactly all that. It's not even worth commenting now on the same old sales patter and tactics from Fields and Simon.

They were taking across each other a lot and contradicting, Simon kept putting his hand on Fields' shoulder to try and shut him up at times.

The zenith came with some blue tonneau barrel case, priced down to £339 before it dropped to the regular £99.99 of every other watch on the show and Fields staged a fake strop, feigning to walk out at the 'mistake' made on screen and how 'I don't want to sell too many at this price because I'm losing money on each watch'.
Please.

Given his other comments and bare faced cheek of some of his statements, e.g. 'I can't wear this watch out at restaurants because people keep interrupting my eating, asking me about it all the time", (it was a 3 sub-dial basic watch), we're not making these anymore, limited edition serial no.s, I didn't realise how questionable all the statements were.

Given his other comments and bare faced cheek of some of his statements, e.g. 'I can't wear this watch out at restaurants because people keep interrupting my eating, asking me about it all the time", (it was a 3 sub-dial basic watch), we're not making these anymore, limited edition serial no.s, I didn't realise how questionable all the statements were.
That ridiculous idea again - QVC tries that with scent - that, apparently, I've been 'stopped in the street and asked where I got that gorgeous scent from'.

This idea might be credible in any country other than Britain. We studiously avoid interacting with one another unless we have to: the idea that one British person might be so forward and in-your-face as to actually stop a stranger going about their business in the street and demand to know where they bought a particular scent, or item of clothing, is about the most ludicrous, unbelievable thing any presenter could say.

Why not? Wouldn't you love to resurrect a double act with PeterS, or do a slot with ShaunR?

I've not seen them sell a phone, tablet or tech on Shop Extra or TJC, beyond a smart watch, but you're the man for that. At least you understood technology properly, more than some of those presenters!

What are you up to? Do you work in tech? Always curious what the experts do when they're not on a TV slot talking tech.
Errr, content producer, video editor, former presenter and comedian. Not sure ever a tech expert!

Latest posts

Back