Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh look, the exact green audace mike just had on for 450 after I quickly googled a code.

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 21.08.13.png

Oh look, the exact green audace mike just had on for 450 after I quickly googled a code.

View attachment 29800
I've heard of giving a 15% discount to encourage sluggish sales but this is ridiculous! That's one heck of a discount code. Anyone would think the original price is a con. Not me obviously, I believe everything they say. Just off for a lie down in my padded cell🥴

I've heard of giving a 15% discount to encourage sluggish sales but this is ridiculous! That's one heck of a discount code. Anyone would think the original price is a con. Not me obviously, I believe everything they say. Just off for a lie down in my padded cell🥴

There's been some proper duff "explanations" given by Ideal World as to why they can sell such esteemed, exquisite, in-demand, very rare horological timepieces of infinite luxury at cut-down, world launch, first in the UK to see this, okay, right, clearance prices:
  • They don't spend on marketing or celebrity endorsements so they can pass the 'saving' on
  • Low price to reward Ideal World watch collector's loyalty
  • New brand they're selling below cost to make us 'brand ambassadors' who spread the word
  • Recently found stock of a discontinued (yet apparently highly-sought after) model
  • Stock meant for BASEL WORLD sold off cheap on IW due to the pandemic
  • The buying power/brand recognition of Ideal World means brands give them good deals
All stretch credulity.

…Unless you're Muriel or that guy who text in to say he'd sold his Rolex collection to buy IW watches.

The real reason IW watches are(n't) so cheap:
  • Made in China/Far East
  • Low cost, low quality parts
  • Generic designs any brand can slap their logo on
Pick a defunct British brand, put it on some cheap imported watches, shove it in a cardboard box, stick a Union Jack on it, toss in a tacky biro or tin cufflinks "worth £70 any day of the week", and …Well, you're probably a member of the Fields family 😋.

Last edited:

There are four main watch companies on TJC/IW that use this tactic. Resultco (Reign, Shield, Heritor etc), Solar Time (Nubeo, Earnshaw, Cadola etc), Fields luxury Ltd (Swan & Edgar, Gamages etc) & Duchump. All four use inflated RRPs as a marketing ploy, one is to infer watches are a higher quality than they actually are and two is so retailer can give big discounts, which gives potential customers the impression they are getting a bargain and the gullible love a bargain (sadly to many gullible out there) then you add in IW's own bullshit/lies to the mix and you've the perfect con.

While i dislike all four companies and will never buy any of their watches, I will give a wee bit of credit to one of them, that is Resultco. Resultco is the only one of the four that openly & publically admits to their RRPs being inflated so that retailers can give big discounts, as consumers love a discount. Of course any credit or praise Resultco get from me is lost as soon as Emma and the IW presenters open their gobs. :ROFLMAO:

Fields is just cheap crap, Resultco and Solar time are better but just over priced Chinese made watches, you'll get more for your money going direct to Ali, better price, better quality.

Duchump are by far the worst for me, they actually have decent watches (albeit rebadged Roamers), better than the other three companies, but are really taking the piss with their dubious marketing (Fake origins, Perpetual Luxury crap etc) and of course ridiculous RRPs. Their place in the market should be competing against micro brands at the £200-£500 max affordale watch price range, not pretending to in the lower end of the Luxury watch market.

Hopped on last night, Mike M with Alex selling 2 x goose down pillows for £24.99.

Mike exclaims to Alex 'the question is, how the heck are we doing two of these for £24.99???'

Not that amazing. B&Q selling 2 for £21.99 free p&p (comparable quality).

Or what about Wayfair, 2 for £18.99 or 4 for £31.99 with £4.99 p&p.

Sally is on now with fashion. When talking about the price of a not very nice jumper she said the flexi price, and said very clearly "the first of 4 flexis". I don't give her credit very often but that's more than Peter can do.
Yeah, Pedro has got plenty of dubious sales tactics, but the worst is misleading the viewers by not giving the full price of items and only mentioning the flexi-price. So a £40 item that he'll be selling will be "It's yours for just £9.99" with no mention whatsoever of the other installments.

There's been some proper duff "explanations" given by Ideal World as to why they can sell such esteemed, exquisite, in-demand, very rare horological timepieces of infinite luxury at cut-down, world launch, first in the UK to see this, okay, right, clearance prices:
  • They don't spend on marketing or celebrity endorsements so they can pass the 'saving' on
  • Low price to reward Ideal World watch collector's loyalty
  • New brand they're selling below cost to make us 'brand ambassadors' who spread the word
  • Recently found stock of a discontinued (yet apparently highly-sought after) model
  • Stock meant for BASEL WORLD sold off cheap on IW due to the pandemic
  • The buying power/brand recognition of Ideal World means brands give them good deals
All stretch credulity.

…Unless you're Muriel or that guy who text in to say he'd sold his Rolex collection to buy IW watches.

The real reason IW watches are(n't) so cheap:
  • Made in China/Far East
  • Low cost, low quality parts
  • Generic designs any brand can slap their logo on
Pick a defunct British brand, put it on some cheap imported watches, shove it in a cardboard box, stick a Union Jack on it, toss in a tacky biro or tin cufflinks "worth £70 any day of the week", and …Well, you're probably a member of the Fields family 😋.
Knowledge/education, and the ability not to just believe everything you're told are so important in life, particularly on IW. For example doing your own price comparison. Being cynical when told clothing is probably a designer item as the label has been cut off. In fact I have an example of his. I was in a little clothes shop in Dorset, didn't have loads of each item, quite a few one offs. I saw a pretty top in my size on a specal offer £10 rail, label cut out. I tried it on and it looked nice so bought it. When I got it home I saw it had a washing label on the inside and it said F&F - Tesco's own brand Florence and Fred. I was petty annoyed as the shop gave the impression of being quite upmarket. But I soon realised that it was a good quality product, a good price, washes well, and doesn't need ironing. I wear it fairly regularly and it still looks good. But I won't fall for that one again.

Hopped on last night, Mike M with Alex selling 2 x goose down pillows for £24.99.

Mike exclaims to Alex 'the question is, how the heck are we doing two of these for £24.99???'

Not that amazing. B&Q selling 2 for £21.99 free p&p (comparable quality).

Or what about Wayfair, 2 for £18.99 or 4 for £31.99 with £4.99 p&p.
I saw a few minutes of that. I heard "you probably buy your pillows in a supermarket". Actually I buy mine in M&S or John Lewis. Both have a food hall but they're not supermarkets. But these huge supermarkets have really good household sections with plenty of branded items, I've bought loads of things in a large Sainsbury's near me. But the way it was said was to put supermarkets down (like you were picking pillows up next to 10p unbranded tins of beans), and suggesting that IW were a professional retailer. And I'd never heard of the brand they were selling anyway so that didn't automatically impress me. If a company can only promote a product by denigrating a rival brand or style I don't use them. Use the time to tell us what is good about your product, don't slag off others.

As for slagging off supermarkets, your company has recently sold a lot of novelty, Poundland rubbish. Not exactly Harrods.

You can have that advice for free but I doubt you'll take it.

Last edited:
"Oh, c'mon my beautiful, lovely Goddess who is lucky to be married to this handsome bald fella, not the sofa again tonight darlin'. I told ya I'm sorry. Work said that handbag was by Chanel it just didn't have the label in. Or is this still about that perfume I got you for your birthday, my beautiful? It's the same notes as the Chanel one I used to get ya, I just don't pay for the marketing. I don't understand why you're so upset, especially as I spent the money I saved on this gorgeous, and I mean gorgeous, lumberjack jacket and chainsaw".
Work said that handbag was by Chanel it just didn't have the label in.

No, IW said the handbag was found in The Channel.

Knowledge/education, and the ability not to just believe everything you're told are so important in life, particularly on IW. For example doing your own price comparison. Being cynical when told clothing is probably a designer item as the label has been cut off. In fact I have an example of his. I was in a little clothes shop in Dorset, didn't have loads of each item, quite a few one offs. I saw a pretty top in my size on a specal offer £10 rail, label cut out. I tried it on and it looked nice so bought it. When I got it home I saw it had a washing label on the inside and it said F&F - Tesco's own brand Florence and Fred. I was petty annoyed as the shop gave the impression of being quite upmarket. But I soon realised that it was a good quality product, a good price, washes well, and doesn't need ironing. I wear it fairly regularly and it still looks good. But I won't fall for that one again.
I like Tesco clothes, Is the F and F, really Florence and Fred

Latest posts

Back