Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Good news everyone

21 hours from it being sold out the week before then being 2 9 5 and 2 left

The Ballast is still available

Don't all rush

Basically if it has 'Thomas Earnshaw' on the box it's still available (allegedly), with Simon Peters competing with Jonathan for the most lies and disinformation tonight. Please don't play a drinking game for each time they say "We thought this had sold out". Also Pete earlier kept saying "the final hour" when there's yet another hour's worth of shopping TV watch-not-selling desperation about to start right now.

Ballast Earnshaw, the ultimate landfill watch brand (RRP £10m, actual value £0.01) used to sink ships, careers and the Ideal World shopping channel.

If you step back and think about this, it is pretty embarrassing

This Ballast at the biggest quantity had a max of 10 models left 24 hours ago. Just counting the time it has been shown on air since it has been on "live" for at least 30 minutes and as part of shows a lot more. And it is still available.

Either the original quantities were a lie or they haven't sold more than a handful...

What they're doing with the Ballast appears to be deception and lies. There's hundreds available in total as a 'limited edition' but they're only selling a handful (if that) for each show. If - and it's a big *if* - they're technically not lying about stock levels then it's simply because they're only selling a small quantity of them for each show/shows and when that small quantity has been sold they then bring in another small quantity to sell hence can repeatedly claim the stock levels are in 'single figures' or 'sold out' for that small quantity BUT NOT the total number of watches that were manufactured. Yes it's a complete and utter fraud but they can wriggle out of prosecution by saying that they only get a few watches to sell on a particular show. Lies, lies and more lies.

Also if they say "We thought we'd sold them all" they're possibly referring to the last small batch of watches they were selling.

What they're doing with the Ballast appears to be deception and lies. There's hundreds available in total as a 'limited edition' but they're only selling a handful (if that) for each show. If - and it's a big *if* - they're technically not lying about stock levels then it's simply because they're only selling a small quantity of them for each show/shows and when that small quantity has been sold they then bring in another small quantity to sell hence can repeatedly claim the stock levels are in 'single figures' or 'sold out' for that small quantity BUT NOT the total number of watches that were manufactured. Yes it's a complete and utter fraud but they can wriggle out of prosecution by saying that they only get a few watches to sell on a particular show. Lies, lies and more lies.

Also if they say "We thought we'd sold them all" they're possibly referring to the last small batch of watches they were selling.

Strangely enough one of my ASA complaints, which was upheld, was regarding Ballast watch shows on IW, all through the show Peter Simon kept stating that Ballast was a Swiss brand that started in 1903, with not a peep from the brand rep to correct this error. ASA just gave IW a slap on the wrists as they said was presenter error and training would be given and it won't happen again. Of course Peter did refrain from claiming they were Swiss and founded in 1903 in Ballast shows since, but it hasn't stopped other lies and misinformation being spouted.

Strangely enough one of my ASA complaints, which was upheld, was regarding Ballast watch shows on IW, all through the show Peter Simon kept stating that Ballast was a Swiss brand that started in 1903, with not a peep from the brand rep to correct this error. ASA just gave IW a slap on the wrists as they said was presenter error and training would be given and it won't happen again. Of course Peter did refrain from claiming they were Swiss and founded in 1903 in Ballast shows since, but it hasn't stopped other lies and misinformation being spouted.
It’s a total disgrace the complete lies including the :poop: about adding to your insurance.

Looking on another watch site (watches2u) it suggests this ballast has a Myota 8215 movement. Seen in watches around the £100 mark not the £1500 mark.

This rrp claim is total fantasy land.

Tonight it's that wonderfully sounding watch brand, Christophe Duchamp, thought i would just post this before the two shysters give their tuppence-worth tonight.

"Born of decades of experience, in Mendrisio, the centre of Swiss horology’s heritage and tradition."

In reality born in Woking, Surrey, 2020.

Lovely pic on their site, which i'm sure is implying this is their premises, in Mendrisio which is in the South on the Swiss/Italian border, lovely sign on top.

Christophe.JPG

Of course reality is a little different, here's how the building actual looked like in 2020 when Christophe Duchamp started up, before photo shopping the sign took place, and it's in Möhlin, in the North (not the South) on the Swiss/German border. It where ILG (International Luxury Group) brand's Roamer and Swiss Military by Hanowa are located, it's also where they assemble watches for third party brands (which i'm assuming ILG do for the Swiss made Christophe Duchamp's watches, the others, including those labbelled Swiss movement, will be assemble in the Far East by ILG).

swiss military.JPG

Speaking of ridiculous RRPs.

Tonight's show will no doubt highlight the savings being made by IW customers from the RRPs.

Take the Grand Mort Skeleton watch, massive saving from RRP of £1795 to IW's £299. What a saving and just think you're now the proud owner of watch containing the Chinese 2196 skeleton movement which can bought on Alibaba for approx £12. Wow what a watch, high end horology at a massive saving, a must have you must insure.

I noticed on their site this little beauty.

DU.JPG

Looks familiar to me seeing as i own the brown dial version of it, but mines actually called the Roamer Rockshell III, and has an RRP of approx £450, mine cost me £220.

ro.JPG

Tonight it's that wonderfully sounding watch brand, Christophe Duchamp, thought i would just post this before the two shysters give their tuppence-worth tonight.

"Born of decades of experience, in Mendrisio, the centre of Swiss horology’s heritage and tradition."

In reality born in Woking, Surrey, 2020.

Lovely pic on their site, which i'm sure is implying this is their premises, in Mendrisio which is in the South on the Swiss/Italian border, lovely sign on top.

View attachment 25367

Of course reality is a little different, here's how the building actual looked like in 2020 when Christophe Duchamp started up, before photo shopping the sign took place, and it's in Möhlin, in the North (not the South) on the Swiss/German border. It where ILG (International Luxury Group) brand's Roamer and Swiss Military by Hanowa are located, it's also where they assemble watches for third party brands (which i'm assuming ILG do for the Swiss made Christophe Duchamp's watches, the others, including those labbelled Swiss movement, will be assemble in the Far East by ILG).

View attachment 25368

Speaking of ridiculous RRPs.

Tonight's show will no doubt highlight the savings being made by IW customers from the RRPs.

Take the Grand Mort Skeleton watch, massive saving from RRP of £1795 to IW's £299. What a saving and just think you're now the proud owner of watch containing the Chinese 2196 skeleton movement which can bought on Alibaba for approx £12. Wow what a watch, high end horology at a massive saving, a must have you must insure.

I noticed on their site this little beauty.

View attachment 25369

Looks familiar to me seeing as i own the brown dial version of it, but mines actually called the Roamer Rockshell III, and has an RRP of approx £450, mine cost me £220.

View attachment 25370
They must be quality TJC sell them😉😂 I see now the connection to Roamer, as the "expert" on TJC for C.D watches has been a Roamer "expert" as well, another chap, not four corners Martin 🌏

They must be quality TJC sell them😉😂 I see now the connection to Roamer, as the "expert" on TJC for C.D watches has been a Roamer "expert" as well, another chap, not four corners Martin 🌏

Tjc currently airing Leighton Denny ...Ideal World oh an air fryer :)

Anyway back to the point TJC of late anyway haven't had an expert on CD watches sold either by Andy Hodgson or sometimes by Mark Gould....

They have been selling pretty well from memory be interesting if the prices are the same tonight I imagine they will be.

More and more brands will share around the channels thinking the days of exclusivity (bar the big brands) have long gone.

Not sure who the other expert is could be someone who works with Martin doing some of the ILG brands plus some freelance stuff like CD, but Martin won't be doing CD watches, he works for Inter City Watches, which is a UK subsidiary of ILG, he's only appear as an expert for ILG's own brands (Swiss Military, Police, Timberland, Cerruti, Kenneth Cole etc) which he is a sales and marketing manager, he won't be involved in marketing for non ILG brands (ie watches ILG assemble for third party brands).

Anyway back to the point TJC of late anyway haven't had an expert on CD watches sold either by Andy Hodgson or sometimes by Mark Gould....
Yes think your right they've been flying solo with them last few shows I've seen.
See who we get tonight and how big a fanfare with, what will no doubt be an exclusive world wide launch of this old "Swiss brand" 😁😂

Yes think your right they've been flying solo with them last few shows I've seen.
See who we get tonight and how big a fanfare with, what will no doubt be an exclusive world wide launch of this old "Swiss brand" 😁😂
It's down as Peter Simon and JB, which i'm assuming is Bordell the head shyster himself.

Hodgson is very good at giving very detailed specs on these he oversells the spec but he does at least lay every component out for the viewer

He doesn't focus on the "history" either preferring to focus on the advantages of the "Surrey Based service centre" if you get any issues.

That is all when and good if the watch had any real value

Is it roaming around? :)

I have a vague memory of someone I haven't seen for a long time but lets face they are hardly a diverse range of watch "experts" on all channels could all be the same

Hodgson is very good at giving very detailed specs on these he oversells the spec but he does at least lay every component out for the viewer

He doesn't focus on the "history" either preferring to focus on the advantages of the "Surrey Based service centre" if you get any issues.

That is all when and good if the watch had any real value

That's one thing on IW which is a very obvious omission from their sales patter, detailed descriptions of the movement, which is the most important part of the watch you want details on, especially if you're a collector. This my take on a few of them, not all, but a few of the regulars.

Kev Reynolds is probable the best for descriptions, although he often gets some of the details wrong and is prone to add in a bullshit story regarding the movements, but having said that he does give more details than any of the others.

Martin is ok with Swiss Military watches, pretty descriptive for them, but once he's onto the fashion brands then movement details become very scant to non existant.

Bordell, if the watch contains a Slava (sometimes cons viewers by selling watches with Seiko NH35 as a Slava) or Swiss movement he'll tell you about it, for the majority of the watches he represents you'll get sod all details of the movements, cause they're Chinese.

Emma Boydell, well all she'll tell you is that the movement is high precision, made from the best quality materials, on a par with luxury Swiss movements, that's the extent of detail you get from her.

Anthony David/Baby Fields will tell you it's 20/21 jewels 163 parts, and can survive Zepplin attacks and is named after someone who's been dead for deacades if not centuries.

Ok one or two of them on the odd occasions will mention, they contain a Japanese movement, normally a high precision miyota quartz worth a fiver but that's it.

But NONE of them will ever mention, or give movement's country of origin, make or it's caliber reference if it's a Chinese movement in the watch and that covers the vast majority of watches IW sell.

Any mention of China is a strict no, no on IW.

Latest posts

Back