Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brain dead must be out in force tonight, 50% of the overpriced Chinese junk already gone.

It's just mind-boggling that folks are buying these junk watches when for similar prices they can get way better quality watches from reputable, respectable, actual watchmaking brands who don't use shysters to retail their watches ie, Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Wenger, Casio, christ even Invicta's pro diver at £80 odd pounds trounces Swan & Edgar for quality.

It seems they let any gob-turd on air. They would really benefit from being more descriptive of the products, and lets face it honest, but perhaps the punters just buy anyway.

A good start would be to get shut of Mason, Simon, furnishings Alex,Tim, Den, little and large Chefs , probably 75 percent of the over enthusiastic numpties, there has got to be way more credible sales people out there.

The male clothes model Steve is right up will the best of them talking turd, every clothing item is ‘absolutely incredible’ and a first last night, putting on a pair of a brand of trainers felt ‘mind blowing’. ‘Mind blowing’ ,what a load of absolute tripe.

For me, while the presenters/pretendy experts are crap & annoying shysters and add their own nonsense to the script, the real problem is behind the cameras, it's the Management, Buyers, Production heads (show directors/producers etc) etc that are the real problem, they are the ones that are providing the presenters with the lies, misinformation & bullshit scrips/information about all the brands, products etc they have to sell. They are the ones who know exactly the truth behind all the products they sell and which companies they are dealing with, so any lies, misinformation or bullshit being spouted by the presenters is done in full collusion and approval of the backroom staff/management.

Just changing presenters won't change the problem, quite a few of the newer presenters start well enough, sound good etc but before long descend into the existing cesspool of lies and bullshit.

It's the ethos and management of IW that needs changing first, without that, changing presenters makes little difference, yeah they may find presenters who are more palatable to listen too and watch, but it won't change the underlying ethos of lies, misinformation & bullshit.

Peter on the Hybrid Movement - "This is the latest movement from Seiko Industries"

He's picked up that crap from Kevski, he's forever claiming that an Indian sewing machine manufacturer produces Seiko's watch movements. :eek:

And to think IW claim they are one of the biggest retailers of watches in the UK. :ROFLMAO:

Square tourbillon is very unusual they say and one of the great watches from Swan & Edgar, took a year to develop and 6 months to build and is at a price which is unheard of. :ROFLMAO:

Not in China they're not.

Here near enough same watch, just different hands and face design, which wouldn't effect the price, case & movement are exactly same.

Brain dead paying £990 on IW, folks with a brain save £600 buying from Ali, there it's £263.63, ok you may get stung with tax at customs but at most will add £75 to the Ali price.

I think it's Aesop that actually assemble them, some of the other Swan & Edgar tourbillons also copy Aesop designs.

Square tourbillon is very unusual they say and one of the great watches from Swan & Edgar, took a year to develop and 6 months to build and is at a price which is unheard of. :ROFLMAO:

Not in China they're not.

Here near enough same watch, just different hands and face design, which wouldn't effect the price, case & movement are exactly same.

Brain dead paying £990 on IW, folks with a brain save £600 buying from Ali, there it's £263.63, ok you may get stung with tax at customs but at most will add £75 to the Ali price.

I think it's Aesop that actually assemble them, some of the other Swan & Edgar tourbillons also copy Aesop designs.

Sounds like a load of old fables then 😁

This evening they're trying to flog the Swan & Edgar tourbillon (open heart, limited edition) watches with increasing desperation. Not been watching that closely but in the first hour Simon Peters informed us that (of the open heart watches) four for some reason "hadn't gone through the system", well if they hadn't gone though the system then they hadn't been sold. Simple. As. Now keep in mind the number four as later on we were informed that "The green is over allocating" followed later on by "The red is over allocating, the green is over allocating, the blue is over allocating". Got that? Good.

Anyhow...we're through to the second hour and Peter Simonpeters told the viewers that for the Tourbillon there was one of each colour still available, which if my maths is correct means there's three watches still available therefore they've only sold one watch which at £1,099.99 is basically one watch too many. And I've just checked the Ideal World website and all three colours of that particular watch are showing as still available. Make of that what you will. Plus as I type this the same tourbillon has magically reappeared on screen again. Will they finally sell them all this time? Now Pete has just said "We thought they had all sold out ten minutes ago" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also when describing the S&E Vortex Tourbillon watch David helpfully told us that Vortex is "Latin for tourbillon" which made me laugh simply because tourbillon watches didn't exist during Roman times :D

As somebody who remembers the dying days of Edgar & Swan (they had still had display windows in the passages near the main circulating area at Dicadilly Pircus in the early 1980s) the store itself had little kudos then that I was ever aware of. Lumped in at the Arding & Hobbs and Army & Navy levels I guess. The name buyer/user must have felt it souned fancy, had the ‘posh’ Piccadilly siting connection, and that enough time had passed for most targeted buyers not to have a living connection with the reality of what the store was in its latter days of trading.

I find the whole business of the resurrection of the dead brands a deeply cynical and generally unwholesome business. The process to me seems essentially manipulative and wholly deceptive, with the real true history of what has happened and why never explained. Selling goods through illusion and fantasy is something that shouldn’t be allowed, and if we had a proper organisation policing these types of television advertising presentations, they wouldn’t allow them in the first place without a proper detailed explanation making it crystal clear that these borrowed names of companies long gone are simply just that, and have absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with the goods being sold now. Surely anybody with any serious financial resources and/or common sense wouldn’t go anywhere near these types of products. So to me the only people suffering essentially are those gullible fools paying out over inflated prices for cheap Chinese made watches that they think are not.

As somebody who remembers the dying days of Edgar & Swan (they had still had display windows in the passages near the main circulating area at Dicadilly Pircus in the early 1980s) the store itself had little kudos then that I was ever aware of. Lumped in at the Arding & Hobbs and Army & Navy levels I guess. The name buyer/user must have felt it souned fancy, had the ‘posh’ Piccadilly siting connection, and that enough time had passed for most targeted buyers not to have a living connection with the reality of what the store was in its latter days of trading.
Their lack of brand research was particularly telling/painful with Mann Egerton since that brand was used for car dealerships in certain parts of the UK not that long ago (at least up to sometime in the '00s if I'm not mistaken). So for a lot of potential buyers including myself (not a potential buyer), Mann Egerton isn't a wartime precision engineering company but somewhere you would get a Renault Clio serviced. Obviously the Fields mustn't have had a Mann Egerton car showroom near them...

I find the whole business of the resurrection of the dead brands a deeply cynical and generally unwholesome business. The process to me seems essentially manipulative and wholly deceptive, with the real true history of what has happened and why never explained. Selling goods through illusion and fantasy is something that shouldn’t be allowed, and if we had a proper organisation policing these types of television advertising presentations, they wouldn’t allow them in the first place without a proper detailed explanation making it crystal clear that these borrowed names of companies long gone are simply just that, and have absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with the goods being sold now. Surely anybody with any serious financial resources and/or common sense wouldn’t go anywhere near these types of products. So to me the only people suffering essentially are those gullible fools paying out over inflated prices for cheap Chinese made watches that they think are not.
It's all horrible deception; indeed it would be more honest if they just made up a name (and some legitimate watch brands have done that). An online random name generator has given me the names Grantham and Lambert so you can have those two for free.

"Grantham & Lambert; the finest precision horologists this side of Clapham Common" :D

Yes, I remember Mann Egerton very well. Getting my 1988 E reg Renault 21 GTX serviced by them at Northampton until it fell to pieces in 1990.

I am waiting with anticipation for the release of more new old name watch ranges - Brentford Nylons, Timothy Whites, Dewhursts, Freeman Hardy & Willis and DER…

Flicking through channels on Friday, got to IW and saw sketchers trainers for £39.99 and a fluffy duvet set for a tenner. Bought both, got 10 percent off at checkout, paid £2.99 postage for both. Not bad at all I think. They have just arrived, so delivery time is excellent. So not moaning about them today.

They do have some real bargains at times and I have also ordered from there on a few occasions and generally have been pleased with the speed of delivery. I remember buying a Rug Doctor a year or two back and the price for the machine, plus the extras included couldn't be beaten elsewhere.

They do have some real bargains at times and I have also ordered from there on a few occasions and generally have been pleased with the speed of delivery. I remember buying a Rug Doctor a year or two back and the price for the machine, plus the extras included couldn't be beaten elsewhere.
Sounds like you got the same deal as me, came with about 7/8 bottles of cleaner that are worth approx £80 alone. It has been a really good buy too, worked wonders on a few carpets.

I bought some of those us polo tops at the weekend, two t shirts for £12 appeared really good value. There does seem to be quite a few clothing bargains.

imo you probably need to stick to the better brands and switch off from the verbal diarrhoea.

I’ve had some junk though, the cheap bedding turned out to be exactly that (bin fodder it’s so bad) and some weed killer never turned up, but they did give me a refund for the £20.

on a side note, it’s been bugging me, Mike Masons teeth, something ain’t right about em, what do they remind me of :unsure: I’ve worked it out, he has teeth like a Rodent!😳:LOL:

told my dad off earlier he ordered one of those Ninja air fryers, told him he could get better on IW he laughed

but at times you do get good offers, and the delivery is good
We have a Ninja, they have really solid build quality, the griddle type tray you can use for steaks on ours weights an absolute ton.

Latest posts

Back