Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

See, I said you had a good memory.

I am happy to report that the demise of Wimpy is premature and they're still going.

Beefeater (Whitbread) is also still going.

Bentall's (now Fenwick's group)
Army & Navy (House of Fraser, Sport Direct group)
Berni Inns
Comet
Gateway stores
Somerfield stores
Martin's newsagent
Rediffusion
Monarch airline
Peacock's
Rover
Pan Am
Thomas Cook
Thomson's holidays (now TUI)

Bid-up
Price-drop TV!

Patisserie Valerie (making a comeback)

Dixon's (DSG) bought Curry's and changed to that name but is still the owner, along with Carphone Warehouse now online only.

Think it's fair to say a few.of our lists have continued under new ownership with a new name. Asda bought many Somerfields. Morrisons bought Gateway/some Safeway's?

In the 90s I worked for a local supermarket called Wellworths. It was split in 2 half became Super Valu and half became Safeways (later Morrisons then Asda)

I have never had a Covid jab. Then I got it and regretted it at one point..

Never had the jab either.

During the height of the pandemic I spoke to lots of people who had side-effects which kind of put me off, not one for needles either.

The location of the centre was approx 3 miles away and at the time I had no transport and after that I never really got around to it.

I’ve got both of mine next week. I’ve been having flu jabs since the 1980s. Recommended by my GP as most winters I got flu resulting in at least two weeks off work and the feeling tired for at least another four. One year I was on holiday and came back and they’d run out so I didn’t get one. Oh boy did I get flu. Started Boxing Day and finally got back to work mid January. Get them both done at my local pharmacy as you can queue for around an hour at the surgery and they don’t do the Covid one.

Never had the jab either.

During the height of the pandemic I spoke to lots of people who had side-effects which kind of put me off, not one for needles either.

The location of the centre was approx 3 miles away and at the time I had no transport and after that I never really got around to it.
Government ministers and others partying, drinking and not socially distancing at ‘work’ events, while telling us who we could see and when. When this behaviour was finally revealed, I knew I had made the right decision- certainly on the Jabs and my deep cynicism of the whole thing.

I was against the whole thing, to be honest. Though if you expressed such views publicly at the time you were viewed as some sort of lunatic subversive. My wife died because of Coronavirus, not from it, ironically.
My mum died because of covid too, despite having a shattered shoulder and knee ligament damage - they wouldn’t admit her to hospital as they said the risk of catching covid was too high. Whilst awaiting a shoulder replacement, she died from a saddleback clot - which would of easily been treated if she was allowed to have a few days in hospital before surgery.
She was a very fit 80 year old with no health problems, and walked over 4 miles a day 😢

That's quite a write up, thanks Hammy.

Have heard of both San Martin and Sea-Gull, but with those commanding higher prices on Ali, etc I was a bit wary in case they arrived and I didn't like the watch or it didn't sit well on my slim wrist.

A bit like you get what you pay for on Ali, a lot under £50 (lige, Winner etc) is usually cheap as chips watches, can get the odd nugget (Cadison etc) but mostly let down with cheap movements with poor finishing and poor quality control. In £50 - £150 bracket there is a lot of decent bargains to be had, prices have risen in the last few years as the brands have switch from using mainly Chinese movements to a lot now using Miyota or Seiko movements, in this range you've folks like Addiesdive, Pagani Design, Sugess etc decent quality finishing and highly popular. Over £150 your into San Martin, Sea-Gull etc, much better watches, better finishing, better quality control etc, San Martin mainly use Seiko movements, Sea-gull produce their own movements, another reason why they're a bit more expensive. Don't own San Martin, but they have a very good reputation in the watch collecting community. Have three Sea-gulls, 1963 Airforce watch, Military Tank Commander watch and The "Dong Feng" re-issue of the 1966 watch, happy with all three.

One problem with ali is the not being able to see a watch in person to gauge how it might fit if you have slim wrists, what i usually do is try and find a revue on youtube and watch as many vids as i can to see how it looks on other folks wrists till I'm confident of how it's probably going to sit on my wrist.

I recall you said previously you worked for Ideal World past versions. I don't suppose you can elaborate on whether he is a nice or a difficult person behind the scenes or not? Though I suppose in your quotes, there may be some clue already.
The trouble was (and is) that he just wanted to make everything the Peter Simon show, including his ridiculous show openings which were actually very difficult to achieve because we didn't have an audio operator and only one cameraperson (I believe TJC has none). He used to namedrop the CEO to try and scare you into doing what he wanted ... Never did that when it was Hamish, though. Interesting. I found him nice enough to talk to until the subject was work and he loved to tell you a story, how true they were I couldn't tell you.

I remember someone here just a week or so ago commenting that he seemed angry on air. I saw that several times, and for no reason. It was not pleasant and amplified the things I mentioned above.

Perhaps that's why the BBC didn't keep him. Just a thought. :confused:

Actually I can confirm that Simon has had his jabs.

I know the nurse. She told me that she said to him “You’ll only feel a small prick” and he replied “But I’m a big prick most of the time”

How we laughed.. she said to him “Is this the first time you have told the truth Mr Simon?” and he squirmed and said “yes,ok,alright,ok,ok. Is that Horatio you’re wearing?”

I’m in the right bracket, in his era for Saturday Morning TV, even on Run the Risk, he came over very much a dipstick.

Trevor Neal and Simon Hickson, would rip into him most weeks in there segment
Did they swing their pants at him? I'm much too old for that programme, but I used to watch it every week just to see Trev & Simon.

Latest posts

Back