Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hammy is the man, or the Professor. I really don’t have the expertise to have a realistic guess. They are probably a decent enough watch, but nowhere near the level of ‘heirloom’ quality that they are being portrayed to be on air. Watches with genuine RRPs in the thousands of pounds just don’t get sold for a few hundred. Least, not in the real world they don’t. And that’s the con. It’s not the watch. It’s the contrast they make with a completely fanciful RRP. If I had three or four hundred pounds spare to spend on a new watch, I would go for a brand like Citizen, and certainly NOT a Duchump.

You would love to hear him speak candidly and privately about his views on shopping television selling. We only heard a brief and apparently unintended snippet of his private (off-mic but still on-mic) thoughts.. And that was him sounding rather deflated at some piece of wretched tat he was hawking not selling at all. We can only speculate why he thinks he will go to Hell. He must also mourn the loss of his real television career.

You would love to hear him speak candidly and privately about his views on shopping television selling. We only heard a brief and apparently unintended snippet of his private (off-mic but still on-mic) thoughts.. And that was him sounding rather deflated at some piece of wretched tat he was hawking not selling at all. We can only speculate why he thinks he will go to Hell. He must also mourn the loss of his real television career.
Look at every corner, there are telltale signs. The not very funny jokes, the irrelevant and under-received entrances and title music, the showmanship and hyperbole. He is desperately clinging on to past times, at any cost.

Look at every corner, there are telltale signs. The not very funny jokes, the irrelevant and under-received entrances and title music, the showmanship and hyperbole. He is desperately clinging on to past times, at any cost.
I recall you said previously you worked for Ideal World past versions. I don't suppose you can elaborate on whether he is a nice or a difficult person behind the scenes or not? Though I suppose in your quotes, there may be some clue already.

DOC I would be interested to know how much you or another think the Crissy Does Crap watches would be at a fair price?

Personally I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole, even if you paid me, not because of the quality of the watches but because of the Brand itself and how they have marketed their brand and the watches.

Well it’s hard to give an exact figure, I’m no expert or a retailer so just my opinion.

As Duke has said, these aren’t cheap or crap watches like Swan & Edgar, and definitely better than Solar Time/Resultco brands, but nor are they high end luxury watches as IW claim.

The one bit of credit I will give Duchamp, and this is probably as a result of the Brand Logic connection, is that unlike a lot of micro brands, like Swan & Edgar, Solar Time etc, they didn’t go the direct to China route when they started their brand, they went to a decent Swiss watchmaking Company, Watchmakers CH, who produce watches for a lot of different brands (Swiss, Non-Swiss, Fashion etc). Watchmakers CH are able to supply a range of watches from highly affordable (Sub £500) to entry level luxury (£500-£1500), they can do this by having facilities in Switzerland and Far East, so are able to supply from lower costs fully Chinese assembled watches (choices of various quality Chinese/Japanese/Swiss movements) to higher cost fully Swiss assembled watches (Choice of quality of Swiss movements).

I would say the nearest quality Chinese brands taking into account movements/finishing etc, would be the likes of San Martin, Sea-gull etc, definitely better than the average Ali Express or standard fashion brands.

Now to Duchamp, they have a few Swiss made watches, ie Audace £2995 rrp :ROFLMAO:, which is by far the best watch Duchamp sell, but it’s just another Rolex day/Date homage and copy of the Roamer Primeline which is produced in the same facilities. The Roamer retails around £700 (discounts and sales are available regularly) depending on bracelet or strap, but personally would be looking at paying a max of around £500.

At the other end of the scale you have the likes of the Grand Mont, has a £35 Swiss quartz in it, assembled in the Far East, Duchamp claim £1750 rrp :ROFLMAO:, similar quality and specs to the Roamer Rimini which can retail £200-£300, but the Rimini is assembled in Switzerland and Duchamp is assembled in the Far East so Duchamp is £150-£200 max, mostly due to the movement and decent case finishing.

So in summary, Duchamp would range from approx. £150-£500 depending on which watch in their range. They have 9 men’s watches and 5 Lady’s watches, only the men’s Audace comes near being worth £500, the rest would probably fit in the £150-£300 range.

Phew, need a cuppa coffee after that. :ROFLMAO:

Personally I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole, even if you paid me, not because of the quality of the watches but because of the Brand itself and how they have marketed their brand and the watches.

Well it’s hard to give an exact figure, I’m no expert or a retailer so just my opinion.

As Duke has said, these aren’t cheap or crap watches like Swan & Edgar, and definitely better than Solar Time/Resultco brands, but nor are they high end luxury watches as IW claim.

The one bit of credit I will give Duchamp, and this is probably as a result of the Brand Logic connection, is that unlike a lot of micro brands, like Swan & Edgar, Solar Time etc, they didn’t go the direct to China route when they started their brand, they went to a decent Swiss watchmaking Company, Watchmakers CH, who produce watches for a lot of different brands (Swiss, Non-Swiss, Fashion etc). Watchmakers CH are able to supply a range of watches from highly affordable (Sub £500) to entry level luxury (£500-£1500), they can do this by having facilities in Switzerland and Far East, so are able to supply from lower costs fully Chinese assembled watches (choices of various quality Chinese/Japanese/Swiss movements) to higher cost fully Swiss assembled watches (Choice of quality of Swiss movements).

I would say the nearest quality Chinese brands taking into account movements/finishing etc, would be the likes of San Martin, Sea-gull etc, definitely better than the average Ali Express or standard fashion brands.

Now to Duchamp, they have a few Swiss made watches, ie Audace £2995 rrp :ROFLMAO:, which is by far the best watch Duchamp sell, but it’s just another Rolex day/Date homage and copy of the Roamer Primeline which is produced in the same facilities. The Roamer retails around £700 (discounts and sales are available regularly) depending on bracelet or strap, but personally would be looking at paying a max of around £500.

At the other end of the scale you have the likes of the Grand Mont, has a £35 Swiss quartz in it, assembled in the Far East, Duchamp claim £1750 rrp :ROFLMAO:, similar quality and specs to the Roamer Rimini which can retail £200-£300, but the Rimini is assembled in Switzerland and Duchamp is assembled in the Far East so Duchamp is £150-£200 max, mostly due to the movement and decent case finishing.

So in summary, Duchamp would range from approx. £150-£500 depending on which watch in their range. They have 9 men’s watches and 5 Lady’s watches, only the men’s Audace comes near being worth £500, the rest would probably fit in the £150-£300 range.

They had a documentary on Marcel Duchamp on BBC4 last night and I thought he didn't look like much of a watchmaker to me. Maybe his dad.

😜

All of you feeling a little under the weather - you simply aren't drinking enough collagen.

It is a hero product, not only does it repair your joints, not only does it save your hair, not only does it nourish your skin, it can make you sleep better, give you energy, I promise you, multi-buy if you can, alright.

The above information came courtesy of Professor Pedro Simon.

That's quite a write up, thanks Hammy.

Have heard of both San Martin and Sea-Gull, but with those commanding higher prices on Ali, etc I was a bit wary in case they arrived and I didn't like the watch or it didn't sit well on my slim wrist.

Latest posts

Back