Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just following Mike’s tip about selling the kayak on. Will this look good in my newsagent’s window?

IMG_0409.jpeg

Sell on the kayak you buy, Mason says..Some people are doing this, he says. Make some money. Three times what you paid (£50) was mentioned as a sell on price, I think was said. Paul, John.. George and Ringo .. Winifred - can't wait to see her floating on the duck pond in it. The absolute boll...I hear touted on this open suitcase in a doorway way of selling knows no bounds..Here comes Charley (the Producer) aged 12 to sit in a plastic monstrosity (not Peter Simon) with Mason. I can just see her in Iceland, Hopping ...er..topping up the zebra burgers...The channel that tells you to do something, then not to do it....You will NEVER see a deal like that elsewhere, Mason says. Has he checked TJC?

Fire Brigade on standby from 9 p.m. -Chef Mark on duty.
Thinking back to the days of Bid TV, I don't remember what the product was, but Mike was urging you to "flog it, buy 15 and flog it for tons of profit". He was saying it forcefully and aggressively, implying anyone who didn't do that was dumb.

Not sure why his Goddess wasn't ordering at home for him to "flog it". Unless he was so rich that he didn't need the money.

Customers begged IW to bring weed gone back, market beating price £19.99 + £2.99 p&p for 5 litre container, £29 is normal price elsewhere, declares Janice. :rolleyes:

Yeah right, it's cheaper on Amazon £19.99 less 10% voucher and free postage and the £29 is for TWO 5 litre containers, which works out even cheaper if you're buying two.

I see the Greek God is presenting this morning
He’d like to think so. Now selling some awful travel bags at £9.99 each or super generous 5% off if you buy all 4. . That pseudo catwalk entrance he’s come out of modelling the bag, looks as if he’s just come out of an airport toilet. Just glad he’s no longer on Create and Craft.

Thinking back to the days of Bid TV, I don't remember what the product was, but Mike was urging you to "flog it, buy 15 and flog it for tons of profit". He was saying it forcefully and aggressively, implying anyone who didn't do that was dumb.

Not sure why his Goddess wasn't ordering at home for him to "flog it". Unless he was so rich that he didn't need the money.
We're selling you this item for £19.99.
However you could easily sell it on for £49.99 all day long.
Why aren't we selling it for even a bit more e.g. £29.99 if we know its true retail value is £49.99?

Yes, why aren't you? MMmmm, I wonder ;)

Living just outside Nottingham as I do now, the stark reminder of the dismantlement of the working man is all around, with the numerous used to be coalmines in the country (around 50) that are now something else. If you are lucky you might still see one or two in museum from, but the rest are history, along with the men who dug the coal. Thatcher waged a bitter campaign against the unions in general and in particular, the coal mining industry. The Police, her private army at the time. I was a young police officer then and you had to keep your mouth shut if you disagreed with what the Tories were doing. But you could see destroying workers' rights was the rationale behind it all. Reading about Dyson jobs in the UK going prompted those memories. From a great industrial production nation to one focused on delivering fast food, the service industry in general and now importing the vast majority of manufactured goods from China. Sad to see the weak, emasculated, relying on others country we have now become. Can you imagine calling up the youth of Britain to fight in a war as so many were called upon to do in the past? Queues of men crying and saying their human rights were at risk...Not all, but many.
I've watched some of the TV programmes about the miners' strike that were re-broadcast recently, to commemorate the 40th anniversary. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, as we all know, but at the time it's happening you very often don't have much awareness of the full implications - I found these programmes really thought-provoking and very sad to watch. A friend who was, like you, a Police Officer at the time, always says it was the only time in his whole career that he felt ashamed to be in the job.

We're selling you this item for £19.99.
However you could easily sell it on for £49.99 all day long.
Why aren't we selling it for even a bit more e.g. £29.99 if we know its true retail value is £49.99?

Yes, why aren't you? MMmmm, I wonder ;)

It makes absolutely no economic/business sense to sell a product at way, way below what would be considered the going market rate.

A particularly unpleasant and worrying new strategy they are employing now. I say that - I remember Mason some months back suggesting buying some power banks in number they were selling, and then hawking them around Glastonbury and selling them at a profit. Bearing in mind, if caught, you’d be thrown out of the Festival for doing that kind of unlicensed selling - not the most appropriate scenario for him to paint.

Buying to sell on is an idea they are doing more often. Last night, for example with the kayak….can you imagine QVC allowing a similar tactic? What makes it doubly worse is they are potentially conning people either knowingly or unknowingly to purchase an item like the kayak on a completely false premise. The RRP is £80. That, of course, was never mentioned by Mason. Instead focusing on some friend of a friend of somebody who knows a bloke who has bought some and has them up for £250 each online. He was also careful not to say this person had sold any at that price. But as with the Will Help/May Help game Simon plays, it sets the seed of a desired outcome without any evidence of one at all.

Desperate tactics..And if just one person watching last night’s farrago bought one of those wretched plastic kayaks on the basis they could quadruple their outlay based on that spiel given, then that person has been seriously misled- however clever they think they are by playing with words selling stuff like that on that basis.

To be fair it's a great plan, buy their great value kayak for £50 and slap it on eBay for £150 or maybe even £200. Because I'll tell you something, their price of £50 can't be beaten ...

... oh wait.

Ok not beaten but kind of puts the money making scheme to bed :(
Interesting reviews…
‘it'll do the job for a fun gentle paddle.’
‘some customers have reported durability issues and find it difficult to inflate.’
‘it gets punctured quickly and the paddle snaps in half.’
‘stability is an issue’

Seems like the standard IW quality….

A particularly unpleasant and worrying new strategy they are employing now. I say that - I remember Mason some months back suggesting buying some power banks in number they were selling, and then hawking them around Glastonbury and selling them at a profit. Bearing in mind, if caught, you’d be thrown out of the Festival for doing that kind of unlicensed selling - not the most appropriate scenario for him to paint.

Buying to sell on is an idea they are doing more often. Last night, for example with the kayak….can you imagine QVC allowing a similar tactic? What makes it doubly worse is they are potentially conning people either knowingly or unknowingly to purchase an item like the kayak on a completely false premise. The RRP is £80. That, of course, was never mentioned by Mason. Instead focusing on some friend of a friend of somebody who knows a bloke who has bought some and has them up for £250 each online. He was also careful not to say this person had sold any at that price. But as with the Will Help/May Help game Simon plays, it sets the seed of a desired outcome without any evidence of one at all.

Desperate tactics..And if just one person watching last night’s farrago bought one of those wretched plastic kayaks on the basis they could quadruple their outlay based on that spiel given, then that person has been seriously misled- however clever they think they are by playing with words selling stuff like that on that basis.
Yeah, they all do it to varying degrees, not sure if QVC is the exception.

C&C used to talk about a 'business in a box' although I suppose you could argue it's more reasonable for them to use that tactic given viewers are making stuff that can be sold on at craft fairs etc.

As we've said before, you have to feel sorry for those that fall for the guff. I don't even mock them, because some people out there for whatever reason will believe what these presenters say. Selly telly feeds off such people ...

Latest posts

Back