Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I caught a glimpse of Motormouth Joanne selling a very obvious dupe of a Dyson hairdryer for £60. Had a look on their website but there is nothing on the product details giving actual specifications nor on the TJC website. Only one attachment though.

I was given a kosher one for a birthday present around 3 years ago. I have “difficult “ hair and get a scalp condition which was aggravated by blow drying. Rarely have a problem since using the Dyson. Whether I’d pay the price myself, not sure, but I’d be very wary of buying an obvious dupe especially from UW or THV. Oops IW or TJC

I caught a glimpse of Motormouth Joanne selling a very obvious dupe of a Dyson hairdryer for £60. Had a look on their website but there is nothing on the product details giving actual specifications nor on the TJC website. Only one attachment though.

I was given a kosher one for a birthday present around 3 years ago. I have “difficult “ hair and get a scalp condition which was aggravated by blow drying. Rarely have a problem since using the Dyson. Whether I’d pay the price myself, not sure, but I’d be very wary of buying an obvious dupe especially from UW or THV. Oops IW or TJC

Yeah, Dyson is expensive — I don't own a single Dyson product because of that — but it's entitled to be. Everything they make is custom engineered and designed. They put the money into research, development, developing new technologies, and pushing the boundaries (Dyson was a major contributor to the miniaturisation of brushless motors, for example) so they're able to command their price.

Also, Dyson products last, and the company has good rep for repairing, warranty, selling spare parts, etc. IW's tat should just carry the brand name Imminent Landfill®.

A cheaply assembled dupe imported from China might look superficially similar, and for most perhaps that's all they'll care about (looks good on the ol' TikTok), but in terms of how it works? It won't be similar, and it won't be close to worth whatever IW is selling it for.

As you note, their hairdryer isn't just a "blows hot air" effort. From what I know of it, Dyson did a lot of research (and the necessary engineering) into temperature control to prevent heat damage.

But ofc, I'm sure during IW's presentation they did the whole "why pay the price tag for the brand one? This one is just the same" routine.

Yeah, Dyson is expensive — I don't own a single Dyson product because of that — but it's entitled to be. Everything they make is custom engineered and designed. They put the money into research, development, developing new technologies, and pushing the boundaries (Dyson was a major contributor to the miniaturisation of brushless motors, for example) so they're able to command their price.

Also, Dyson products last, and the company has good rep for repairing, warranty, selling spare parts, etc. IW's tat should just carry the brand name Imminent Landfill®.

A cheaply assembled dupe imported from China might look superficially similar, and for most perhaps that's all they'll care about (looks good on the ol' TikTok), but in terms of how it works? It won't be similar, and it won't be close to worth whatever IW is selling it for.

As you note, their hairdryer isn't just a "blows hot air" effort. From what I know of it, Dyson did a lot of research (and the necessary engineering) into temperature control to prevent heat damage.

But ofc, I'm sure during IW's presentation they did the whole "why pay the price tag for the brand one? This one is just the same" routine.
All true enough although the cordless products can have battery life problems.

Also, Sir James (or is he Lord by now) ended production in the UK losing 100s of jobs to maximise his already immense profits:

Back in 2002, he shifted all manufacturing from Britain to Malaysia. Dyson has plants in Singapore, China and in the Philippines.

I have a Dyson Animal corded vacuum. It cost me around £300, but was well worth it. With three dogs I needed a powerful, effective tool to try to pick up after them hairs wise. It does the job. What I see on Ideal World for about a seventh of its cost is for me a false economy. Yes, buy a £40 vacuum from them if you have to. One demonstrated completely cynically and ineffectively by a complete clown. Get that home and see how it picks up stubborn resistive dirt on your carpets and your furniture. Then see if you still have it in a useable state in a year’s time. Then if not, give Peter van Schkatterrize a tinkle at Ideal World and ask for a brand new replacement. Peter?? PETER???? Celebrate its memory by putting some flowers by the hall power point in two years, while your trusty Dyson goes on and on…And if for some reason it doesn’t, years of use in, they’ll repair or replace it for you still.

Realistically, the ‘bigger’ names must get at least £250 an hour. The less well known maybe half that. People like Simon aren’t going to drive hundreds of miles for any less. They may even get significantly more, who knows. Say, one of the better paid ones does five shows a week and the money does equate to the example given - that’s £1000 per four hour show x five…£5000 per week - £250k per year. Even if it’s £500 a four hour block x five - that’s still £2500 a week. Gets you a nice drum and a great standard of living to accompany it.

New miracle underwater drain unblocker product being launched this evening - Plumbing the Depths…
I can't see any shopping TV presenters been on anywhere near that type of money. I would say £70-£80k is nearer the mark, maybe a tad higher. I assume most, if not all the presenters will be freelance. Sales determine the frequency of their bookings, which explains why they lie, twist truths, bullshit, and sound desperate with their sales spiel. The individuals who work the most hours are those who sell the most.

You may well be right. The truth is none of us on here know how much they earn - we can only speculate.

The people who do know how much they earn aren’t going to post that information here. A lot of me basing what they earn stems from the public documents of the creditor lists from Ideal World 2. These people (most of them) are listed at very good quality addresses. Houses worth well in excess of six figures in some cases. Freelancers most are, and it may well be for some, shopping television presenting income forms just a percentage of their total income.

Nonetheless, however they build up their earnings, many of the bigger name presenters are living far more affluent lives than the people targeted for those uncheckable and unsourced, cut and pasted, disingenuous price comparisons they appear more than happy to read out on a very regular basis- Rob Lamarr generally excepted.

Buy one, even if you don't need one is one of the most stupid sayings they (especially Peter and Jeremy) come out with.

I can't see it persuading anyone, not even the old dears who (presumably) fawn over the presenters and think of them (sadly) as friends and advisors.
It just sounds desperate, avaricious and downright dishonest. But then these people have no professional pride.

IW car stickers:

I'm one of Mike's Flying Out Gang!

Muriel Bought One Too!

Peter Simon for PM!

A Heatwave is Coming!

Christophe Duchamp is My Mate!

I Once Dated Rachel Stevens!

I Love Ideal World 1, 2 and 3!

A Plug in Vacuum is Better Than a Cordless

A Cordless Vacuum is Better Than a Plug in!

Sally's Smocks Rule OK!

Open you mouth, swallow your face Lindsay on with that well known designer brand Tansy! How the studio is set up reminds me of Department Stores changing rooms in the 1960s. A woman would be sat in a chair at the entrance and would check that you only had 2 dresses to try on and that what you took into the changing room you brought out and not nicked anything.

Mind you I wouldn’t think that anyone would want to nick the Tamsy Tat.

All true enough although the cordless products can have battery life problems.

Also, Sir James (or is he Lord by now) ended production in the UK losing 100s of jobs to maximise his already immense profits:

Back in 2002, he shifted all manufacturing from Britain to Malaysia. Dyson has plants in Singapore, China and in the Philippines.

Yeah, he's a bit of rich what-some-might-call-a-hypocrite what with backing the "B" word claiming it'd boost British manufacturing and investment, only to relocate Dyson's head office abroad after the vote (having previously moved manufacturing out too). He sued a national tabloid for calling him out on that. He lost.

Last edited:
generation-game.jpg

Ideal World's conveyor belt of tat often reminds me of The Generation Game

Contestant Muriel struggled to remember the walking canes, but she did leave with a garden Buddha statue, seventeen pairs of copper socks, and a cuddly electronic toy.

Unfortunately the cuddly toy didn't meet UK safety standards so was destroyed.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's a bit of rich what-some-might-call-a-hypocrite what with backing the "B" word claiming it'd boost British manufacturing and investment, only to relocate Dyson's head office abroad after the vote (having previously moved manufacturing out too). He sued a national tabloid for calling him out on that. He lost.

Just seen on the news dyson is cutting around 1000 GB jobs

Just seen on the news dyson is cutting around 1000 GB jobs
TBH I didn't think there were that many left in the UK but it's a dark day for British industry and a kick in the teeth for all those loyal workers.

These megamillionaires if not billionaires are all very much the same, get the knighthood for "services to British business" then take everything abroad to save costs and maximise profits. Branson, Sugar, Dyson.

Yeah I know that's capitalism but sometimes it stinks.

TBH I didn't think there were that many left in the UK but it's a dark day for British industry and a kick in the teeth for all those loyal workers.

These megamillionaires if not billionaires are all very much the same, get the knighthood for "services to British business" then take everything abroad to save costs and maximise profits. Branson, Sugar, Dyson.

Yeah I know that's capitalism but sometimes it stinks.
Mind you, it all helps our drive towards carbon zero.

We simply export our manufacturing and let other countries pollute the planet and we can sit back smugly. Not us guv.

Living just outside Nottingham as I do now, the stark reminder of the dismantlement of the working man is all around, with the numerous used to be coalmines in the country (around 50) that are now something else. If you are lucky you might still see one or two in museum from, but the rest are history, along with the men who dug the coal. Thatcher waged a bitter campaign against the unions in general and in particular, the coal mining industry. The Police, her private army at the time. I was a young police officer then and you had to keep your mouth shut if you disagreed with what the Tories were doing. But you could see destroying workers' rights was the rationale behind it all. Reading about Dyson jobs in the UK going prompted those memories. From a great industrial production nation to one focused on delivering fast food, the service industry in general and now importing the vast majority of manufactured goods from China. Sad to see the weak, emasculated, relying on others country we have now become. Can you imagine calling up the youth of Britain to fight in a war as so many were called upon to do in the past? Queues of men crying and saying their human rights were at risk...Not all, but many.

Latest posts

Back