Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The turntable (is it two models along similar lines now?) presentations have been extremely poor. Mason, I think, has done most if not all of them? Two main issues: he uses the opportunity of music products (or product) for bragging purposes about how he ‘feels’ music, and how he is ‘blessed’ to have such a rare talent..Plus, the product never gets demoed properly. Would you go into a hi-fi shop and accept from the staff there that they couldn’t play you any music, but they are happy to name all the LPs they have at home and why? No…You’d you walk, wouldn’t you…Is not playing any records on the turntable all about avoiding playing PRS monies? I assume it must be..I seem to recall QVC playing music on the USB type turntables they were selling back in the 2010s…So it is possible to do so…If you PAY…Something a TV channel run on the very cheap obviously doesn’t want to do. And that’s why I certainly wouldn’t buy those turntables or anything at all from them - Cheapskate TV…

I imagine the sound, which in fairness, he has mentioned on-air is not best quality. Fine for a transistor radio. But not fine for a turntable. Get a decent pair of speakers to hook up to it, he says. But what is driving them with a cheap turntable like that? And what is the quality of the cartridge pulling the sound from the record? Not worth the additional expense in my view. I have a pretty large vinyl collection and when I do revisit vinyl, I want a separates system that does justice to the format, which I am fortunate to have. A decent Audio-Technica type turntable can be bought from around £200 plus, and a decent amp (Marantz, say) and speakers (Mission, for example) for probably about £600 to £700 on top. Getting you great sound for less than a grand. Or significantly cheaper buying second-hand. Or of course, you can spend £60 and get something not sounding very good for a lot less. Equally, if you cannot run to around a grand, spending about £200 on top of that £60 figure will get you a much better quality all in one turntable with listenable sound…
The thing is (if they bothered to look into it) you can buy royalty free music on vinyl so it wouldn't take much to look online and order them if they were thinking of selling those types of hi-fis and also you can buy royalty free music (the plinky plonky music as Mason calls it they already use) so it wouldn't take much to have songs coming through music playing devices (plop onto a memory stick or a CD or whatever format needed). The problem is they aren't that professional. I get that Mike probably wants to blast the Eagles or Pink Floyd but having actual music even if just library music, is what is needed for the segments. You can get some fun synth tracks and sound-a-likes for cheap to play but they will never put that much effort into it

Perry Como was my late Dad's favourite singer. I find it hard to listen to him without feeling emotional.
My dad loved Jim Reeves, Silver Bells from his Christmas album sets me off. It btings back happy memories but sadness that he's not here.

The thing is (if they bothered to look into it) you can buy royalty free music on vinyl so it wouldn't take much to look online and order them if they were thinking of selling those types of hi-fis and also you can buy royalty free music (the plinky plonky music as Mason calls it they already use) so it wouldn't take much to have songs coming through music playing devices (plop onto a memory stick or a CD or whatever format needed). The problem is they aren't that professional. I get that Mike probably wants to blast the Eagles or Pink Floyd but having actual music even if just library music, is what is needed for the segments. You can get some fun synth tracks and sound-a-likes for cheap to play but they will never put that much effort into it
I like old jazz music and when I was buying CDs you could often get it very cheaply because it was out of copyright and freely available. Some labels paid money to remaster the sound so was a bit dearer.

I don't buy CDs now, still got my old ones (the vinyl and cassettes are long gone) as I don't want to get rid of them. I stream over Spotify now with a smart speaker (and air buds when I'm on the move) my musical tastes have widened massively these days.

Which is exactly what they did on IW (mk2) when selling the Steepletone audio stuff, including that ridiculous full-size jukebox that wasn't a functioning jukebox just a giant light up pretend one housing what sounded like a small, underpowered Bluetooth speaker. They'd play royalty free music out of it - so it can be done.

Related: the Steepletone shows birthed my favourite Peter Simon moment (which I still quote to this day).

I'll set the scene:

Tinny royalty-free on-hold music is (barely) pumping out this jukebox, making Pedro giddy and excited. He starts spouting a stream of nonsensical guff over the nondescript backing track …"indulge in the beauty of the sounds of the golden age, from the rock and roll stars of yesteryear to the great show tunes from the bright lights of Blackpool. Not only to relieve the youth of your twilight years…" and it goes on and on.

By the end Pedro's gotten himself so worked up but has to finish somehow, so punches the air with both fists and shouts loudly, smiling like an evangelical pastor just about to pass around the tithe jar/credit card machine:

"LET'S STEEPLETONE!"

I creased, and never forgot it. The professional (but stilted) Steepletone sales guy doing the show with him looked mortified by the whole thing but, keen to get back to the product, brushes over it by quietly saying "yeah… so as I was saying Peter, the remote control…"

Last edited:
Another beautiful song. Dad passed away in 1988, but I still find Perry hard to listen to.
I would imagine if one cares for ones parents at all, their death is likely something one never fully gets over.

My mum's in her 80s and although still relatively fit and able, I do see her gradually failing.

It's more than a bit s h i t coming to the realisation that you're now entering that stage in life where you're caring for the person who cared for you when growing up.

I would imagine if one cares for ones parents at all, their death is likely something one never fully gets over.

My mum's in her 80s and although still relatively fit and able, I do see her gradually failing.

It's more than a bit s h i t coming to the realisation that you're now entering that stage in life where you're caring for the person who cared for you when growing up.
Mum died in November 2022, she was 98, and still lived in her own house. She was as bright as a button, but in the last month of her life became more and more dependent on my sister and I. We never resented taking care of her, because as you say, they cared for you. It was a privilege.

Mum died in November 2022, she was 98, and still lived in her own house. She was as bright as a button, but in the last month of her life became more and more dependent on my sister and I. We never resented taking care of her, because as you say, they cared for you. It was a privilege.

I think this sums it up quite nicely ...

caring.jpg

Mike being smarmy about women, another of his traits.

Not trying to curry favour he says. Not 'arf. Buttering them up mate.
He appears to think it is culturally somewhere in the mid-1980s when he is broadcasting. Fellas? Before him I last heard the term ‘fellas’ used by Anthony Newley on his Idle On Parade single, released in 1959. No…it was used in the singular by Danny La Rue on a fairly frequent basis in the 1970s: “I’m Just a Fella in a Frock.”…No…it was used by Brian Connolly on the opening to Ballroom Blitz in 1973.. He lives, in shopping television terms, in an era he presumably thinks fits the mindset of his viewers - about 50 years ago.

Latest posts

Back