Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A suitcase turntable with FM radio. Would be good if you could hear what it sounds like. (Not great I would imagine). I do love my vinyl collection, some of them I've had over 40 years.

I do remember Mike "I know sound" Mason flogging a similar record player in a suitcase before and mentioning that the built-in speakers were serviceable but for decent quality you'd want to hook up a pair of proper speakers - thought it was very decent of him to say.

Probably got told off for it.

Same as my Bruce Springsteen records

The River was one of my favourite Springsteen albums, also have Born in the USA and the 1975/1985 live 5 LP collection.

A suitcase turntable with FM radio. Would be good if you could hear what it sounds like. (Not great I would imagine). I do love my vinyl collection, some of them I've had over 40 years.

My first record was Slade, Mama weer all crazee now back 72. I was a bit of a cheap skate, sister was a few years older than me, she had a good collection, so just listened to her records instead of buying myself. :ROFLMAO:

Dire Straits for me, Electric Light Orchestra, Peter Frampton, still listen to them most days.

The River was one of my favourite Springsteen albums, also have Born in the USA and the 1975/1985 live 5 LP collection.

My first record was Slade, Mama weer all crazee now back 72. I was a bit of a cheap skate, sister was a few years older than me, she had a good collection, so just listened to her records instead of buying myself. :ROFLMAO:

Saw him at the old Wembley stadium he was on stage for nearly 4 hours

The turntable (is it two models along similar lines now?) presentations have been extremely poor. Mason, I think, has done most if not all of them? Two main issues: he uses the opportunity of music products (or product) for bragging purposes about how he ‘feels’ music, and how he is ‘blessed’ to have such a rare talent..Plus, the product never gets demoed properly. Would you go into a hi-fi shop and accept from the staff there that they couldn’t play you any music, but they are happy to name all the LPs they have at home and why? No…You’d you walk, wouldn’t you…Is not playing any records on the turntable all about avoiding playing PRS monies? I assume it must be..I seem to recall QVC playing music on the USB type turntables they were selling back in the 2010s…So it is possible to do so…If you PAY…Something a TV channel run on the very cheap obviously doesn’t want to do. And that’s why I certainly wouldn’t buy those turntables or anything at all from them - Cheapskate TV…

I imagine the sound, which in fairness, he has mentioned on-air is not best quality. Fine for a transistor radio. But not fine for a turntable. Get a decent pair of speakers to hook up to it, he says. But what is driving them with a cheap turntable like that? And what is the quality of the cartridge pulling the sound from the record? Not worth the additional expense in my view. I have a pretty large vinyl collection and when I do revisit vinyl, I want a separates system that does justice to the format, which I am fortunate to have. A decent Audio-Technica type turntable can be bought from around £200 plus, and a decent amp (Marantz, say) and speakers (Mission, for example) for probably about £600 to £700 on top. Getting you great sound for less than a grand. Or significantly cheaper buying second-hand. Or of course, you can spend £60 and get something not sounding very good for a lot less. Equally, if you cannot run to around a grand, spending about £200 on top of that £60 figure will get you a much better quality all in one turntable with listenable sound…

Last edited:
As with Peter S he displays the antics of a frustrated performer. It is annoying. Any excuse to tell stories or sing bits of songs. As the Duke says it should be about the product not the presenter.

Any Beatles fan would know which instruments each of them played and to say "what a great bass line by Lennon" is plain daft. Trying to be too clever by half which is one of Mason's traits. The know-it-all pub bore. Not watchable for any length of time.

Yes, Lord, any self-respecting Beatles fan would know John Lennon was not a regular bass player on their records, if at all. We all ‘feel’ music. There would be little point in hearing it if we didn’t. My Dad didn’t have a musical bone in his body, but he reacted emotionally to music on the record player at 2 a.m. when he was pis…playing Perry Como 33s on repeat in the front room as the neighbours banged in time with it. Feeling music is not some divine blessing for only the special. Much as he believes he may be the ‘Chosen One’ in that way.

Despite his often displayed sense of self-deprecation at times. Counterbalance this with his ‘Beautiful Bald Fella’ and ‘Music Whisperer’ routines, and you see a very strong positive ego underlying all of it. And why not? The guy has clearly provided a very good living for his loved ones in what has presumably been a well-paid and consistent form of employment over the last 20 years or so. Faux humility, though, is not so endearing. Cheeky Chappie preening type cockiness, the slightly less irritating out of the two.

It has a slot for memory cards. Ok it's not the same as playing vinyl, however surely they could have put a card in with some licence exempt music to give viewers an idea of its sound.

As you suggest, there may well be a reason they're not doing this ;)

Yes, Lord, any self-respecting Beatles fan would know John Lennon was not a regular bass player on their records, if at all. We all ‘feel’ music. There would be little point in hearing it if we didn’t. My Dad didn’t have a musical bone in his body, but he reacted emotionally to music on the record player at 2 a.m. when he was pis…playing Perry Como 33s on repeat in the front room as the neighbours banged in time with it. Feeling music is not some divine blessing for only the special. Much as he believes he may be the ‘Chosen One’ in that way.
Perry Como was my late Dad's favourite singer. I find it hard to listen to him without feeling emotional.

Latest posts

Back