Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Merry Christmas to you all 🎄

I must've been a good boy as Santa didn't bring me a walking cane, dash cam, or anything else from IW, just a small lump of coal 🤭

Joking aside, I'm enjoying a quiet Christmas by myself this year and have vowed to not turn on the selly telly, even out of curiosity! But I did want to pop in and wish you all a happy Christmas. This forum thread is so hilarious, so often. It's been a tough year for me but coming here every other day has helped distract and delight.

In some ways, I feel this thread is to IW what "Have I Got News For You" is to politics and the establishment - cynical humour, poking fun at the tropes and traditions, mocking the absurd circus. Perhaps an unofficial thread title ought to be "Have I Got Silly Selly Telly for You".

So yes, hope you all have a good one folks! Were I the sort to pour myself a glass of 'something more medicinal' (as Mike of Clan Mason would say) I'd raise a toast to you all. In lieu of that, I shall instead be raising some literal toast to you all.

Last edited:

I must've been a good boy as Santa didn't bring me a walking cane, dash cam, or anything else from IW, just a small lump of coal 🤭

Joking aside, I'm enjoying a quiet Christmas by myself this year and have vowed to not turn on the selly telly, even out of curiosity! But I did want to pop in and wish you all a happy Christmas. This forum thread is so hilarious, so often. It's been a tough year for me but coming here every other day has helped distract and delight.

In some ways, I feel this thread is to IW what "Have I Got News For You" is to politics and the establishment - cynical humour, poking fun at the tropes and traditions, mocking the absurd circus. Perhaps an unofficial thread title ought to be "Have I Got Silly Selly Telly for You".

So yes, hope you all have a good one folks! Were I the sort to pour myself a glass of 'something more medicinal' (as Mike of Clan Mason would say) I'd raise a toast to you all. In lieu of that, I shall instead be raising some literal toast to you all.
Chin chin.....cheers, Nice post! Best wishes. 🥃

Great post.

I do think one of the most effective ways of making a telling point is through satire/humour. Hislop and Merton have spent years doing it on HIGNFY. Private Eye has been making serious challenges to the State in a similar way for many decades also.

I think the posts here have obviously been read by IW. And to the extent of them using forum names for their texts. Taking the urine in reverse as it were. When people know they perhaps aren’t quite doing things as they could and should be done, and they are being picked up upon on it, often for want of a better argument, they hit back with personal type stuff more than anything else. And at times, we have seen that here with some of the people who have turned up on this thread defending the channel and how it sells. Whether these people do work for IW, who knows, but their armoury of attack has to be more personal than practical because essentially it is hard to defend the indefensible.

I think what those of us here want with our contributions here is to say: a) shopping television is unintentionally hilarious very often and b) point out on a regular basis what we see is wrong with it. The defensive response is always along the lines of ‘well, don’t watch if you don’t like it’. Like the Government saying if you don’t like politics, don’t vote, or if you think the legal system is unfair, don’t read about it. In turn, for our subject it is ‘If you don’t like how we sell, switch off.‘ None of those responses in those areas are good enough though, and people SHOULD keep challenging them in all walks of life despite being told to go away at times.

When Ideal World does things well, that is very much reflected in forum comments. Unfortunately, because of the selling techniques it has been using in the main, it has been ridiculed and criticised more than the former. But you do feel there have been some positive selling signs of late and some better, more transparent presenters being used more often, and those have to be good things for its potential shoppers.

The thread here has been funny with a general good sense of camaraderie and a togetherness of views on its subject. Look at the other threads on other channels and that just isn’t there. On dark personal days it has helped me through reading it, and others, will probably identify with those feelings, too. I think it also does make good and fair points dressed up in humour about how shopping channels should be selling to the public, and regularly picks up on things when they are not. Happy New Year to everybody.

Yes, I remember her being introduced by Steve, stressing her fitness background. I suppose she was a casualty of the changes in the Gemporia/Primal team, or she was seduced by the BS at IW MK3.
I can’t quite get my head around her selling other items. I think it’s because her big sell was fitness. Perhaps it’s me.

I can’t believe some of the claims being made about the Opatra dermasonic thing by Natalia now. She’s just said that this machine will give your lips an upturned look like hers! She’s told people not to get injectables lol. She’s making completely unfounded claims.
They said earlier 1 of the light machines could help with Diabetes I don't know how ?

Latest posts

Back