Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Do you believe any of those customer names are real? They can’t even prepare a demo for a product, but they have first names of buying customers in real time? Data Protection breaches I would say, if they are actual buyers‘ names being read out on air.
I heard Gen specifically mention the other day that it was new to her being able to see specific and actual customers (compared to old Ideal world). The amount of verbal diarrhea from her I do actually believe it

Why bother watching?
Why bother broadcasting? If they want people to buy products, they need to do it right. If one can't criticise constructively, what is the point of a discussion forum. If you are wanting to buy a product and a channel sets up as a shop, then the customer has every right to examine and scrutinise any of the practises of said companies.

Probably what Haley is alluding to then on her fb page and her beau in tow presumably. Maybe MM will shift over there too

We all have different things going. Hope we can tell you more soon x
I have nothing against TJC as an entity (profitable in many areas) but I believe they are amateurs compared to what Ideal World was (like it or loathe it) in terms of onscreen presentation. Ideal World needs experienced hands not interns running the show. Say what you like about Shop Extra but they had the various brands on there fairly quickly. They had competent demos and the information related to the products.

Midnight to 3 a.m. Why bother? Far too late for most people. Can't see it lasting either.

ShopOnTV isn't its own channel, it's on ITV1 in the "midnight massive crew" slot IW Mk2 had, so it can't broadcast when Corrie or I'm a Celeb is on 🤭

Very smart move tbh as IW's sales during its ITV shows were (comparatively) colossal to its daytime sales.

This does likely mean ShopOnTV will have the annoying drone guy on, as drones were supposedly one of the biggest sellers on their ITV airings.

Last edited:
I have nothing against TJC as an entity (profitable in many areas) but I believe they are amateurs compared to what Ideal World was (like it or loathe it) in terms of onscreen presentation. Ideal World needs experienced hands not interns running the show. Say what you like about Shop Extra but they had the various brands on there fairly quickly. They had competent demos and the information related to the products.

It's funny thinking back to Shop Extra. They struggled for decent products a bit (and they continued flogging some of the junk that ruined IW's later years). And yes, the shyster sales techniques were carried over, and the shows from the concrete bunker did look awfully low-rent…

But in hindsight, overall, it did come across as competent and professional overall, didn't it?

Most of that credit surely has to go to the behind the scenes staff. They were clearly experienced. And Hochanda weren't as obsessed with spending as little money as humanly possible. That improved production values, be it a decent range of food for cooking demos, guest presenters for nearly every show, or having on-screen text that didn't look like it was being beamed back from a 1970s NASA probe…

And they clearly made sure that their presenters did prep on the products they were selling. Take Hayley flogging those random metalwork sets (the ones you could supposedly start a new career using lol) - she knew all her talking points, what to ask, and how to put it across confidently.

Some of the IW-TJC lot look genuinely baffled by what they pull out and plonk on their table…

Last edited:
I'm out doing my coastal walk again. :ROFLMAO:
I heard the reference to cashmere scarves and Hammy on his coastal walk. So far they've got you in a full body fleece, a cashmere scarf, and bounding along with one of those super duper canes. No danger of you getting cold and you'll be rock steady on your walks. All bases covered thanks to Ideal. Perhaps 'Our Bet' could join you on your next coastal (a.k.a. product placement) walk, just to mix things up a bit.

I agree. Having seen this car crash TV, elements of what Shop Extra did with hindsight were actually pretty good given the lack of resources they had in terms of both space and budget. They had some decent enough products at times, too. I take it they had more experience behind the scenes. The lack of it and the immaturity of this version shines through in comparison. It’s almost like they feel we are the only people watching and anything goes.

Latest posts

Back