Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

its a strange brand name to pick, I cant see it having any kudos in 2023, they look huge things too, cheap lump of pig iron, 'im not comparing it to pig iron though'
Talking of strange brand names to pick, I bought a watch from Ali Express about 10 years ago, to practice on, mainly. A mechanical retrograde, with the retrograde on two seconds hands (0-30 seconds then flyback and 30-60 seconds and fly back). Disassembly was really hard, and the mainspring was only just able to power it - the power reserve was supposed to be 40h, but I could only get 25-28 out of it (massive amplitude changes in different positions )
Anyway, the brand name they’d gone for was. ‘Grace Bros’.

’I’m Free…..!’

Talking of strange brand names to pick, I bought a watch from Ali Express about 10 years ago, to practice on, mainly. A mechanical retrograde, with the retrograde on two seconds hands (0-30 seconds then flyback and 30-60 seconds and fly back). Disassembly was really hard, and the mainspring was only just able to power it - the power reserve was supposed to be 40h, but I could only get 25-28 out of it (massive amplitude changes in different positions )

’I’m Free…..!’
You've all done very well...except for that Ideal world lot

I checked and the brand is run by Fields Luxury Limited a young guy called James Fields. the company was incorporated in 2018. So a long history.....

That's Baby Fields, he was the original guest on Swan & Edgar shows on the Old Ideal World, came out with some absolute comedy gems regarding Swan & Edgar store during WW2, the embarressment was replaced by last nights guest probably thought he had a better knowledge of historical events than Baby. Quite a few times has been introduced by Peter Simon as a manager within the Fields business, which is a load of rubbish.
Papa (Antoni) Fields is a regular on TJC with Gamages watches, another Fields brand. Papa Fields is the one with the most experience/long history in watch wholesing/retailing, and you wonder why he ain't in charge, probably because he wasn't allowed to be a director in any company for a number of years after he and a fellow business partner were caught trying to cheat HMRC out of 1/2 a million in tax.
Expect to see another Fields brand soon, Anthony James of London, even lower quality than Swan & Edgar watches, featuring another actor as the expert guest, Mike Beckingham. Anthony James watches are famous, as Mike of the Mason ALWAYS states in the introduction to their shows, they always sold out during previous shows, in reality they never did.
One of the Fields main claim for low prices is that they cut out the middleman (wholesaler) and don't use celebs to promote their watches, in reality they are tthe middleman (wholesaler) and David A & Mike Beckingham are celebs, although Z list celebs at best.

I had no idea that Mr. Pomposity type who regularly appears with the regurgitated high street/ex-car showroom brands watches was another actor. I mean…you felt he was pretending to be a watch expert, but not actually a formal acting type interpretation of one. The whole business of these ‘invented’ heritage watch brands is so riddled with fakery.. The theatrical people they use as horological experts…The making of direct connections of British heritage and renowned quality and reputation to the names they‘ve picked from the Defunct Companies Almanack to add to the Chinese made watch stock they have. When in fact, other than the name choice, there is no actual connection whatsoever.. If people buy on the basis they like the watches, like the prices and know the heritage links are just a bit of lighthearted banter, that’s fine. It‘s those making a choice to buy because they are taken in by the sales pitch to believe Swan & Edgar is an actual watch maker of centuries standing, and not a department store that sold watches and closed down in 1982.

I had no idea that Mr. Pomposity type who regularly appears with the regurgitated high street/ex-car showroom brands watches was another actor. I mean…you felt he was pretending to be a watch expert, but not actually a formal acting type interpretation of one. The whole business of these ‘invented’ heritage watch brands is so riddled with fakery.. The theatrical people they use as horological experts…The making of direct connections of British heritage and renowned quality and reputation to the names they‘ve picked from the Defunct Companies Almanack to add to the Chinese made watch stock they have. When in fact, other than the name choice, there is no actual connection whatsoever.. If people buy on the basis they like the watches, like the prices and know the heritage links are just a bit of lighthearted banter, that’s fine. It‘s those making a choice to buy because they are taken in by the sales pitch to believe Swan & Edgar is an actual watch maker of centuries standing, and not a department store that sold watches and closed down in 1982.

Totally agree, this is the very important part especially when you consider the deceitful sales pitch by both the brand and IW (and TJC for that matter) in that they are claiming these are collectable, luxury, quality timepieces with longstanding history and heritage, instead of being just affordable Chinese made watches, with neither history or heritage.
Now collectable they can almost get away with, as there are folks out there that collect just affordably priced watches, some of us are luckier to be able to afford more expensive watches to collect, but some are not so tend to stick to £150-£200 max (or even less) for a watch. Although within this range, collecters that know anything about watches, will be looking at brands like Casio, Seiko, Orient, Citizen and lower price tiers from well known Swiss brands and microbrands before the likes of Swan & Edgar, Gamages etc.
As for luxury quality timepieces, that you must insure and will be handed down as heirlooms, then forget it, unless a timepiece in this price range (and especially the quality that Fields produce) has some real sentimental value, anything from the Fields stable is not worth servicing/repairing to keep it going long enough to pass down or even insure. Bin job is the likely future of these watches. Oh and that can be said for the Resultco & lot of the Solar Time stable as well.

’I’m Free…..!’
ha quality Prof, someone in Shanghai must have had a sense of humour! some great sitcoms back then, what happened to sitcoms?!!

And that I suppose is why you will never see famous names quality watches on shopping television channels in general. Well, other than on the presenters‘ wrists. Genuine heritage and quality timepieces makers in general would probably not be ‘at ease’ with their products being shown in that style of retail environment. Hence why watch shows on shopping telly are usually devoid of them.

Totally agree, this is the very important part especially when you consider the deceitful sales pitch by both the brand and IW (and TJC for that matter) in that they are claiming these are collectable, luxury, quality timepieces with longstanding history and heritage, instead of being just affordable Chinese made watches, with neither history or heritage.
Now collectable they can almost get away with, as there are folks out there that collect just affordably priced watches, some of us are luckier to be able to afford more expensive watches to collect, but some are not so tend to stick to £150-£200 max (or even less) for a watch. Although within this range, collecters that know anything about watches, will be looking at brands like Casio, Seiko, Orient, Citizen and lower price tiers from well known Swiss brands and microbrands before the likes of Swan & Edgar, Gamages etc.
As for luxury quality timepieces, that you must insure and will be handed down as heirlooms, then forget it, unless a timepiece in this price range (and especially the quality that Fields produce) has some real sentimental value, anything from the Fields stable is not worth servicing/repairing to keep it going long enough to pass down or even insure. Bin job is the likely future of these watches. Oh and that can be said for the Resultco & lot of the Solar Time stable as well.
what do you guys who really know there watches on here think of the prices of Rolex Submariner no date and Sub Date - prices from resellers seem about 3-4k over list price with waiting times allegedly into 'years' ! is that a recent thing?! Are they really worth it?!

Oh it's now time for super super Shona flogging incredible, phenominal cheap tat. ;)
Apparently builders are no longer putting gas boilers in new homes they are now fitting ceramic radiators
someone should tell the builders currently selling new homes thoughtout Buckinghamshire cos I don’t know a single one who isn’t fitting gas central heating 😱
As a former caravan owner I can safely say she’s talking crap saying that handy heater would make your van toasty warm.

And that I suppose is why you will never see famous names quality watches on shopping television channels in general. Well, other than on the presenters‘ wrists. Genuine heritage and quality timepieces makers in general would probably not be ‘at ease’ with their products being shown in that style of retail environment. Hence why watch shows on shopping telly are usually devoid of them.

Usually the "genuine and quality timepiece" brands tend to have their own ditribution network for supplying authorised retailers across the globe and as you say are choosy in who they supply too. The only time IW would have decent quality watches is if they got them through a third party wholesaler like ILG (Martin Cunnigham) or Watchbase (Reynolds) where the brands doesn't have their own distribution in that country for various reasons. Oh and from grey market sellers where they've picked up stock from retailers that were unable to shift stock.

The only shopping telly channel that carried any decent brands was that V channel, although the presenters were something else. :ROFLMAO:

Apparently builders are no longer putting gas boilers in new homes they are now fitting ceramic radiators
someone should tell the builders currently selling new homes thoughtout Buckinghamshire cos I don’t know a single one who isn’t fitting gas central heating 😱
As a former caravan owner I can safely say she’s talking crap saying that handy heater would make your van toasty warm.
The presenter looks like she’s stepped out an extra’s role in Acorn Antiques..Does she own a handy energy efficient heater for £19.99? I suspect not. Somebody has chucked an old duvet over the sofa.. No cover on it. Makes it look untidy as well as low rent. Two thirds of the entire stock has gone…This hour? This month? This year?

That was Peter Vs claim on the old IW shows, he claimed that in new housing in Peterborough builders were was installing Ceramic Radiators. a search of new builds in Peterborough showed that in most of the new schemes builders were in fact still installing gas central heating couldn't find any with ceramic radiators.

The presenter looks like she’s stepped out an extra’s role in Acorn Antiques..Does she own a handy energy efficient heater for £19.99? I suspect not. Somebody has chucked an old duvet over the sofa.. No cover on it. Makes it look untidy as well as low rent. Two thirds of the entire stock has gone…This hour? This month? This year?

She'll be selling those old luxury duvets (throws) later. ;)

Shona has a point there. We extended our kitchen it’s now Ten by fifteen ft it doesn’t have a radiator in it.
BUT
that 400w air blower wouldn’t even touch the sides.
However I do own a ten year old delonghi bambino 800w oil filled radiator (no longer available) that works a treat.

Latest posts

Back