QVC Presenters' Wages

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was once told (4years ago) by Glenn "the fashion expert"s best friend that he was getting something like £100 per hour, but how true that was I couldn't say....

Well personally I wouldn't pay him £100 per hour for fashion advice! However is that just for presenting time? If he appeared on a few shows through the day with gaps inbetween then the real hourly rate would be quite a lot lower and what about travel time, where does he live?

Well personally I wouldn't pay him £100 per hour for fashion advice! However is that just for presenting time? If he appeared on a few shows through the day with gaps inbetween then the real hourly rate would be quite a lot lower and what about travel time, where does he live?

on another planet? :thinking2:

Glen always says he lives inyorkshire and has to stay in london when on qvc...

I don't think they work on commission but do wonder if theres some sort of payment (or just pure competitiveness) when the tsv sells out in their hour - they do seem particularly over the moon if it does and its "well dones" all round - whereas I take the tsv selling out to be a cock up ie they didn't order enough!

He lives between Leeds and Bradford at a place called Mentson...I was lead to believe it was £100per show he did ie 3 shows same day £300 1 show £100 plus expenses but again I must stress this was only word of mouth from one of his close friends

He lives between Leeds and Bradford at a place called Mentson...I was lead to believe it was £100per show he did ie 3 shows same day £300 1 show £100 plus expenses but again I must stress this was only word of mouth from one of his close friends

That doesn't sound like a massive amount to be paid but possibly being able to say that he's a fashion expert who appears on television helps him in other areas of his work.

Wasn't there a thread ages ago where someone mentioned knowing what Charlie earned? (can't remember the figure, sorry).

I presumed they were payed commision, as Rob Locke stated his sales after leaving QVc.

Money for old rope IMHO

Whatever they get it's too much. It's not as if they're saving lives or making the world a better place. They look presentable (well...some more than others) and know how to present products (well, some more than others) but apart from that I've no idea how they justify high wages. It'll be interesting when the BBC are forced to publish presenters wages...I've been fed-up listening to the same people year after year, but once they get a foothold there's no shifting them...don't get me started on weather presenters!

When Craig won the new presenter competition wasn't it for a 100k contract for a year, or was I dreaming?

I will say the biggest earner on QVC is Alison Young. Beauty I think will be the biggest seller for the channel. I remember long ago the documentary on channel 4 about the launch of IW and it also looked at QVC as the big player in the shopping telly world. They showed a In The Salon with AY and said they sold £20,000 in one hour. Think how many more have freeview etc now to watch QVC and buy. They are the only channel to still accept cheques, postal orders and even bank tranfer things via girobank.

Whatever they get it's too much. It's not as if they're saving lives or making the world a better place. They look presentable (well...some more than others) and know how to present products (well, some more than others) but apart from that I've no idea how they justify high wages. It'll be interesting when the BBC are forced to publish presenters wages...I've been fed-up listening to the same people year after year, but once they get a foothold there's no shifting them...don't get me started on weather presenters!

"Whatever they get it's too much" is a bit of a sweeping statement. We don't actually know what they get paid. In any case nobody is forced to buy from QVC and contribute to paying the presenters' wages, it's a free choice. It's a case of supply and demand and QVC will pay what they need to pay to get the people they want.

The BBC though is a different kettle of fish as we have to buy a licence if we have a television whether we want to watch BBC or not.

I will say the biggest earner on QVC is Alison Young. Beauty I think will be the biggest seller for the channel. I remember long ago the documentary on channel 4 about the launch of IW and it also looked at QVC as the big player in the shopping telly world. They showed a In The Salon with AY and said they sold £20,000 in one hour. Think how many more have freeview etc now to watch QVC and buy. They are the only channel to still accept cheques, postal orders and even bank tranfer things via girobank.

I don't think that she would necessarily earn most because her hours will generate high sales. I think the level of sales is down to the products rather then down to her.

Of course just because one hour generates more sales than another doesn't mean it actually makes more profit for QVC, I would imagine they make more out of "own brand" hours like Northern Nights" than some of the branded products.

When Leonie presents craft she said on her blog she got £100 for an hour and no expenses!

Anthony has his photography, Clowdia her family business, Jill Franks is a personal trainer, Pipa her music, so the dosh can't be that amazing; or maybe it's up to them!

I don't think any of them earn 6 figures, including Julia! She doesn't seem to work in the day much. I reckon they earn good salaries but surely it must be comensurate with the number of hours they do!

I think many work part and term time only eg. Debbie Greenwood.

Last edited:
Being the presenter who launched QVC, along with Jon Briggs, JR will almost certainly be the highest paid presenter; she is the most senior - in more ways than one! She is also the most experienced and, although it pains me to say it, deserves to be paid more than the others. She is like the doyenne of home shopping.

Also, can you imagine her reaction (understandably) if she discovered another presenter was on a higher salary than her?

In a way, wages are a personal matter between QVC and it's presenters. On the other hand, however, the more QVC pays it's presenters the more thay have to charge us the buying public for products.

Whatever they get it's too much. It's not as if they're saving lives or making the world a better place. They look presentable (well...some more than others) and know how to present products (well, some more than others) but apart from that I've no idea how they justify high wages.

I am sure you are just being provocative, Huggles...a vast number of occupations have no claim to saving lives or making the world a better place....and these values are rarely a point of reference in determining salary.
And there is no guarantee that they are earning a high wage...I suspect they are on a fairly attractive wage, particularly because of the unpredictability and sometimes unsocial hours of their job...but media jobs often attract wages that would make a nurse or teacher or similar feel they are winning the lottery...but that is a market trend and it is a bit like comparing a footballer's wage to a civil servant...

Anyway, QVC may have done a Carol Vorderman with their presenting staff and demanded they take a paycut due to the demanding times....

£30k per year has got to be be WAY off the mark. senior sales people at my company will be on significantly more than that when their bonus is included and they cant be generating the same revenues as the presenters are in such short periods of time.
i dont think what guests are getting is indicative, theyre just a means to an end. all of the selling is done by the presenter.

I have no idea what they earn but I don't feel their jobs justify six figure sums. For what they do I'd say a rate of £100 per hour is more than fair. That includes all the QVC presenters regardless of years of service. I am happy to watch QVC to see products but I don't tune in to look at presenters and, in some cases, I switch off. If my opinion isn't acceptable then I can only say it is what I feel.
fear20.gif
Chill people...didn't realize I was so provocative.

Latest posts

Back