QVC is the BBC of Shopping TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
Yes, you heard right, if you were watching the start of Alison's hour of L'Occitane... she was explaining QVC to James Wong (currently ethnobotanist at Liz Earle) in those terms.

I wonder, in what ways we can equate QVC to the BBC...? Nothing is springing to mind here!

At least channel 5 is free though... Oh wait it's not because you can't watch it (legally) without paying for a TV licence for BBC channels you don't even watch! It's the most disgusting tax.

Anyway, yes, back to QVC!

He was on a programme ages ago where he made a load of cough sweets/mouth washes etc from natural ingredients. They did look quite nice and I replayed them and copied down the recipes, but I've never made them. Maybe this year I'll have a go.

But QVC = BBC in importance? I don't think so.

Channel 5 is part owned by Murdock, hence the endless benefit documentaries showing the cheats and dirty dirty liars.:sleepy::sleepy:

Well QVC, I shall be watching at 7.40pm Saturday for the new series of Doctor Who, and then the following Friday for Strictly. Oh but wait.

But you'll be recording all the QVC programmes you're missing, Donna - after all, they are equally watchable, yes? :mysmilie_467:

Hate paying our license fee, to me it's fraud because we never watch it so why are we having to pay (or my husband pay) for something we don't use? I've got a Sky satellite dish so I don't need the aerial for anything other than BBC, yes the BBC that we don't use or watch! :mysmilie_13:

We watch less and less on BBC because they seem to be pushing their own political agenda most of the time.....and I think they might have something to say at being compared to Q (that's if they could be bothered, of course)!!

I use a lot of BBC - I don't watch loads of tv, but I listen to the radio and the website, so I don't have any problem paying the licence fee. Pre-TV, they had a radio licence.

I like the fact that programs don't get interrupted by adverts, and resent the hell out of ad breaks when watching other channels.

QVC have noticeably increased the number of in-show ads for other things. I imagine they charge brands for their on-air hours, and I'd be getting my stopwatch out if I was one of the brands and see whether the price I'm being charged for an hour still represents good value. I doubt that anywhere near 1 hour is devoted to selling the brand.

I know, because it's live TV, they have to put in breaks to ensure the program flows smoothly... but I think Ideal World have the right idea: the in show VT breaks are for the on-air brand, not whatever's coming next or during the week.

I tape the programme or watch On Demand that way I avoid the adverts. I must say before Sky plus brought in the ability to pause live TV, I welcomed the ad breaks, gave you a chance to run the loo or make a cuppa without missing anything.

I hardly watch BBC and I resent paying a tax in order to be able to watch any other TV channels even Sky which I choose to pay a subscription for.

At least with QVC you have a choice not to spend money with them .They don't threaten you with prison if you dont pay, well not yet anyway LOL.

I probably watch more BBC than anything so I don't object to a licence fee too much, as long as it's reasonable.

Since Q are now their equal, will they also introduce a licence fee to listen to the claptrap about items I'm not buying?

I tape the programme or watch On Demand that way I avoid the adverts. I must say before Sky plus brought in the ability to pause live TV, I welcomed the ad breaks, gave you a chance to run the loo or make a cuppa without missing anything.

Love sky plus,I do the same.

Latest posts

Back