QVC is the BBC of Shopping TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

James Wong has a series on BBC2 about herbs and their uses.

I watch more BBC than the ITV channels. I love my BBC4 history stuff for one, BBC3 which is going for Being Human(repeated now).

This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I love the BBC. Yes, not everything it produces is stellar, and there's problems with the corporation, but show me a large, complicated organisation which doesn't have structural problems and I'll show you a liar. I love the fact that the BBC produces Strictly AND highbrow documentaries on BBC4. I love Radio 2 and 4 and use the BBC website most of the time as my 'go to' source for reliable news. In France, you get France Télévisions which is ok, but not great (and it shows adverts in non-peak times) or TF1 which is essentially E4 but worse - full of dubbed American imports. In Italy, it's RAI all the way (Italian housewives taking their tops off in the middle of the afternoon), and if you think Murdoch's influence is nefarious, then try Berlusconi's, Mediaset. I think it's a case of being careful what you wish for.

And I hate the fact we have to pay for it and never watch it. I think now in this day and age the BBC should bring out a set top box that you can buy, pretty similar to Now and Freeview, were you can pay a monthly subscription if you want to watch the BBC channels, but they won't do that though will they, because hardly anyone would pay to watch that crap.

At one time I genuinely had no TV as there was no point - I never watched it and I never missed it. But hey, that wasn't good enough for the good old BBC. Despite me writing several times to tell them I had no TV therefore did not need a license, they harassed me for a year. Then they sent the heavies to my door - no warrant, no nothing, just bullying, intimidating large men (two of them). I did not let them in of course but they returned and returned and returned. I was a single woman on my own at the time and if I had not been me (a bit arsey at times) I may have been very scared. Your TV license pays for this I assume? Eventually went away when OH came to live with me, HE bought a telly and being a good citizen, bought a license. The BBC are beyond the pale.

CC

And I hate the fact we have to pay for it and never watch it. I think now in this day and age the BBC should bring out a set top box that you can buy, pretty similar to Now and Freeview, were you can pay a monthly subscription if you want to watch the BBC channels, but they won't do that though will they, because hardly anyone would pay to watch that crap.

I agree. I resent paying the licence fee. I look forward to the day that it goes pay per view so people can vote with their feet (wallets) for what they want to watch. The advent of Netflix and other steaming services has introduced me to a world of much more enthralling TV, new aand old.There are odd things I enjoy on the BBC, but for what I have to pay for it I certainly don't get my money's worth compared to streaming service subscriptions, which I think are worth every penny.

I love BBC and think the fee is worth every penny when you cost it out daily over the year it is only pence per day. You are paying for ITV/C4 through advertising cost in the products you buy without any choice.

Hell will freeze over before our house will use anything Murdock or Ryan Air associated.

I seem to pay a lot of money monthly with the sky package I have and Netflix,so I wouldn't mind not having to pay a license fee.

I also love bbc and particularly like bbc4, I enjoy some of the foreign drama and i don't mean all the Scandi thriller stuff, I am not a snob but all the reality shows get on my pip! Also like channel 4, can't stand channel 5, agree with craftalot about TV abroad, most of it is awful.

I couldn't give a toss who owns Sky, it's not actually owned outright by one person though, Murdoch only owns a percentage, 21st Century Fox holds a big chunk, Murdoch has shares with them too. I'm I great believer in not cutting my nose off to spite my face, so I'd never be without Sky just because of who owns it. But choice is an amazing thing so each to their own.

I couldn't give a toss who owns Sky, it's not actually owned outright by one person though, Murdoch only owns a percentage, 21st Century Fox holds a big chunk, Murdoch has shares with them too. I'm I great believer in not cutting my nose off to spite my face, so I'd never be without Sky just because of who owns it. But choice is an amazing thing so each to their own.

That's an interesting point because I pay for my Virgin Media subscription but never watch Sky 1, ITV Be or many of the reality channels but the Tivo service is so useful I wouldn't be without it now I've learned how to use it! I suppose we all have to make choices and compromises. Personally I get a lot of value from my licence fee because I watch BBC1 and 2 most of the time and listen to Radio 2, 5 Live, Sport Extra, WM and the website. When you look at TV in the USA such as Fox, I think we are lucky to have the quality and choice of BBC and ITV journalism.

Appalling, but sadly I can't say I'm surprised. The BBC seem to live in a parallel Universe in so many areas of life.

At one time I genuinely had no TV as there was no point - I never watched it and I never missed it. But hey, that wasn't good enough for the good old BBC. Despite me writing several times to tell them I had no TV therefore did not need a license, they harassed me for a year. Then they sent the heavies to my door - no warrant, no nothing, just bullying, intimidating large men (two of them). I did not let them in of course but they returned and returned and returned. I was a single woman on my own at the time and if I had not been me (a bit arsey at times) I may have been very scared. Your TV license pays for this I assume? Eventually went away when OH came to live with me, HE bought a telly and being a good citizen, bought a license. The BBC are beyond the pale.

CC

Latest posts

Back