Qvc cost of living winners and losers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

In the last few months we received letters in my close to say they were going to fit water meters, but when the water company around and inspected , they put cards through the doors our infrastructure is not suitable.

Gosh its a race to the bottom isn't it. Can't afford to heat your home because of crippling prices. Don't drink tap water because its likely its full of sewage. Food prices will be rising soon because production will cost the manufacturers more. It really is the end of days!

I'm stocking up on toiletries too so I dont have to think about replacing them over the next 12 months or so. Cutting back will be a challenge for me as my dementia ridden father lives with me so heating will be left on to keep him warm. He also has a fetish for switching every light on downstairs at night (he wont go upstairs to bed and sleeps downstairs now. Apparently has nightmares if he sleeps in a bedroom!!) Ah well we do what we can

Whaaat? Did he say boil it first?
It was about the ultra hot summers and water shortages. The water companies dumping sewage into the sea as the systems just cannot handle it all and well sewage could a small percentage still be in drinking water.

I've just received this, but haven't checked it myself. The prices are after the October rise.

I have recently started turning off most of my Alexas when not in active use, with the result I still talk to them but get no response until I remember they are off.
There has just been a woman on TV talking about this.

So slow cooker looks good, but, it takes a much longer time to cook so actually not that good.

Microwave is the cheapest.

But, if you use your cooker/oven to bulk cook, it works out cheaper that the chart says. So cook and freeze, then just heat up in the microwave.

Whaaat? Did he say boil it first?
I don’t think he meant actual sewage in the water, it would be filtered in the normal way. I remember years ago hearing that if you had a glass of water from the tap (in London), that water has gone through at least seven other people before you!!! I didn’t drink a glass of tap water for years after that, 😂😂.

It was about the ultra hot summers and water shortages. The water companies dumping sewage into the sea as the systems just cannot handle it all and well sewage could a small percentage still be in drinking water.

So slow cooker looks good, but, it takes a much longer time to cook so actually not that good.

But, if you use your cooker/oven to bulk cook, it works out cheaper that the chart says. So cook and freeze, then just heat up in the microwave.
We bought a 6 litre slow cooker from Aldi a few years ago. Do a big casserole or chilli and then freeze it. Reheat in the microwave with some seasonal potatoes. We bulk up the casserole with loads of veg, so it’s really cheap to make.

We are going to the cinema in a few weeks to see Madame Butterfly streaming live from The Royal Opera House. It didn't cost £40 for us both and it's a beautiful cinema with large seats and plenty of room.
Adore madam butterfly🤗 enjoy seen a couple
Of times
Locally 🦋

I think QVC is going to be very stressed as are all businesses… wouldn’t want to be a presenter that’s for sure .. not as easy as years ago.

These are very sound tips. I confess I often buy good quality (I hope!) ready meals for some days and bung them in the microwave so now I feel vindicated! I do have a brand new slow cooker somewhere. I must take the time to dig it out and try it but I don’t like things like stews and casseroles which would be the obvious thing. (No idea why I bought it before you ask!) It’s just me here and I only cook simple meals but I’m getting used to cooking more than one thing at once, where before I didn’t think twice about having the oven on for 35 minutes with one chicken breast in the middle.

My mum, God bless her, brought me one of these back last week from her weekly shop. I'll admit that I wasn't really looking forward to trying it, but I knew she'd ask me if I had enjoyed it so I braved it and tried it on Monday. Anyway, hands down it's one of the nicest ready meals I've ever had. It's got a quite high sugar content though so I won't be having one every day but I'll definitely be stocking up next time I'm in Asda.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...y-asda-cheese-tomato-pasta-bake/1000139836232

The only thing is, I prefer ready meals done in the oven rather than the microwave, which kind of defeats the purpose of trying to use less electricity I suppose.

I don’t think he meant actual sewage in the water, it would be filtered in the normal way. I remember years ago hearing that if you had a glass of water from the tap (in London), that water has gone through at least seven other people before you!!! I didn’t drink a glass of tap water for years after that, 😂😂.
I always though London tap water tasted rank.

I'm stocking up on toiletries too so I dont have to think about replacing them over the next 12 months or so. Cutting back will be a challenge for me as my dementia ridden father lives with me so heating will be left on to keep him warm. He also has a fetish for switching every light on downstairs at night (he wont go upstairs to bed and sleeps downstairs now. Apparently has nightmares if he sleeps in a bedroom!!) Ah well we do what we can
Sorry to hear about your father, Artic. It's difficult for you both.

Yes, I was going to say, there were a few related news stories recently: one was the leaking/dumping of sewage by the water companies and pollution of beaches, while at the same time there has been a lot of talk about droughts and water conservation. In relation to the latter, a number of scientists, politicians and industry bods have reminded us that if we don’t have enough rainfall or ways of retaining/storing water, we have to look at desalination and yes, more treatment of waste water. It does happen elsewhere but I’m not sure it’s used for drinking (yet). It’s certainly a horrible thought!

Article in The Standard below.

My slow cooker using a lot less electricity being on for a few hours than my electric fan oven does being on for an hour. In winter I often batch cook casseroles in the slow cooker and then freeze them. Once defrosted completely, a quick 5 minute blast in the microwave means I have a tasty hot meal.

This year I’m intending to cook a lot of meals like this or I’ll cook things on the gas hob. I’m saving money where I can, although I’m on a fixed tariff until July 2023 so won’t be too affected by the price hikes, because I’m not willing to give the fuel companies more money than I need to.

My mum, God bless her, brought me one of these back last week from her weekly shop. I'll admit that I wasn't really looking forward to trying it, but I knew she'd ask me if I had enjoyed it so I braved it and tried it on Monday. Anyway, hands down it's one of the nicest ready meals I've ever had. It's got a quite high sugar content though so I won't be having one every day but I'll definitely be stocking up next time I'm in Asda.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...y-asda-cheese-tomato-pasta-bake/1000139836232

The only thing is, I prefer ready meals done in the oven rather than the microwave, which kind of defeats the purpose of trying to use less electricity I suppose.
90p! I’m there! I have developed a taste for some of the Count On Us and Eat Well meals in M&S but they were already relatively dear and they’ve gone up quite a bit in recent months. I can get 4 or 5 of those you mention from Asda for the price of one in M&S.

Latest posts

Back