Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This woman is off the scale in terms of her spending, opening packets showing very unremarkable LR pieces which are so similar to each other.There must be around £150+ in goods there.It is her money presumably but I cannot see her earning that sort of disposable income.

Do you think the main stars of the tatty appy are also buying to the same extent from other companies?
I am absolutely certain they are, Compulsive shoppers / spending does not end at the Q. They sadly will be buying from the Bay, other selly telly, beauty companies when they do offers and the list goes on. Been there, seen it, done it and got many, many tee shirts!

I am very careful about my spending now and most of the time I am okay. Occasionally, I still get tempted by the hype and I have to check myself and seriously consider why I would be buying something. Most of the time I change my mind. I was lucky that my husband was supportive and helped me when I came clean to him about my problem. I hope these Qurio ladies have supportive people in their lives because at some point the credit is going to either run out, or become an un-serviceable debt.

I hope people did not feel uncomfortable reading my own story? I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, i just want to make anyone who is vulnerable stop and think before they press buy / pay. I still enjoy shopping. In fact, I enjoy it much more now because I am buying what I actually need and some of what I want. The Lola Rose lady has a problem, I can see it from a mile away and it is sad. She is still living by that big old river in Egypt and burying her head in it's sandy banks. A stiff kick up the rear is heading her way, sooner or later but it will come. I didn't see Panorama yet but will catch up at the weekend, sounds typical Panorama though.

I am by no means an expert but presume it is like any other addiction.The buzz of taking deliveries opening all those packages.It is not just the quantity but most people would look at those LR pieces and see how similar they are to others they already have and be questioning of why they are buying.Is that not the bottom line in recognising there is a problem to be addressed even before the level of debt hits home?

Last edited:
Well I have just discovered ‘Shirley Valentine’ giving her broadcast to the Qurio community and no doubt will be giving her Oscar acceptance speech anytime soon.Are some of these people hoping to be ‘discovered‘and end up as presenters on QVC before they face bankruptcy?

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert but presume it is like any other addiction.The buzz of taking deliveries opening all those packages.It is not just the quantity but most people would look at those LR pieces and see how similar they are to others they already have and be questioning of why they are buying.Is that not the bottom line in recognising there is a problem to be addressed even before the level of debt hits home?
I think the problem is compounded by the addictive nature of posting on social media. Getting likes for SM posts, triggers pleasure hormones, and can become a problem.
Compulsive shopping and compulsive posting, and who knows how big the rest of the iceberg is? We only see 2 parts of it. I agree with Ballerina and with you, Silver Fox.
I feel very sorry for this lady, for whatever is going on in her life which has led to this behaviour.

Well I have just discovered ‘Shirley Valentine’ giving her broadcast to the Qurio community and no doubt will be giving her Oscar acceptance speech anytime soon.Are some of these people hoping to be ‘discovered‘and end up as presenters on QVC before they face bankruptcy?
🤣🤣 are you referring to jo jo who in her own words is FABULOUS so she bought a necklace with fabulous on it ,Lola wasn’t pleased so she bought one the same (she nearly had her crown knocked off )but came back guns blazing telling us all about her ailments and of course her big cleavage,stick to reviewing the product you bought like the other ladies on qurio ,I think you are spot on they must think they are going to end up as ba on qvc and how qvc is at the minute it wouldn’t surprise me one bit .

I think the problem is compounded by the addictive nature of posting on social media. Getting likes for SM posts, triggers pleasure hormones, and can become a problem.
Compulsive shopping and compulsive posting, and who knows how big the rest of the iceberg is? We only see 2 parts of it. I agree with Ballerina and with you, Silver Fox.
I feel very sorry for this lady, for whatever is going on in her life which has led to this behaviour.
I agree with all three of you but can't find any sympathy for her; she may have been overindulged since the day she was born & posting on this app is just another chapter in her materialistic existence.

There are people who have an addictive personalty so drink, drugs, gambling, shopping or even sex.

It starts out as a bit of fun, then they just cannot stop themselves. Something missing in their lives, and they try to fill it by filling in with whatever they are addicted to. I know on Basenotes many with very large number of bottles of perfume we are talking 200+, just say they are collectors. A friend used to collect Snow babies ornaments she had 3 cabinets of them, oh there is a new one out and buy it. Then her husband who had been drinking bumped into one cabinet and smashed the ones in it. She just stopped collecting telling me her heart was broken by the damage done.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Lola hasn't had some kind of big lottery win like the set for life which can give you £10k per month for life, in which case the amount of parcels she receives every month would be well do-able. Stinking rich? I doubt it - I know I shouldn't generalise but the stinking rich people I've come across in life seem to be quietly dignified and quietly generous and are not running around like a kid who's been let loose in a sweet shop. Up to her eyes in credit card debt? this is very likely, though I hope for her sake, or for any of the other lovely ladies this isn't the case. If it came down to having to sell some of your assets (behave!) in order to clear debt, the collection of LR won't be of any interest as it's basically worthless tat. I apologise if that sounds harsh, but in grim reality, that's what it is.
If Q did the right thing and pulled the app, or added helpful advice & links, of course it wouldn't stop people spending, but it most certainly would help. People are buying more things because they are being encouraged to do so by the other members. I think it's high time that online shopping should be regulated. When it comes to high street shopping, there's a number of factors that add up to the person making an informed decision which starts with something as simple as can I be bothered to get dressed and go into town. Once in town, you can inspect the goods, try things on, spray that tester, give it an hour, can I still smell it? Do I like it? Can I carry all this stuff home on the bus, can I afford to get a cab back? You might go shopping with a friend and ask their advice, stop for a coffee and consider your purchases. So many questions, that may or may not lead to one parting with their money. Online shopping - Let's face it, you don't even have to get out of bed, let alone get dressed, and it can be ****** dangerous!
On the up side, the Qurio app has put my loathing of Q onto a higher level and what I'm seeing has far from encouraged me to want to spend. Sadly people like me don't have a voice, I'm sure if you said remotely negative (and I don't mean nasty by any means) you'd be closed down/banned in seconds. Even speaking to the organ grinder didn't get me a serious response. Q may not be breaking the law, but they're socially irresponsible!

I agree with all three of you but can't find any sympathy for her; she may have been overindulged since the day she was born & posting on this app is just another chapter in her materialistic existence.
My thoughts exactly ,I did comment on qurio to Erika stating that her house must be bursting at the seams with qvc stuff but she replied saying she only bought stuff she needed and presents for Christmas although it was all for her in a long drawn out answer that I think I might have touched a nerve seeing as she has bought about 106 items in the past few weeks so no I don’t feel sorry for any of them,

But you do have a voice, merry, and you’re using it well. Change starts with people feeling very strongly about an issue and taking a stand. It starts small but these days can gather momentum very quickly.

But you do have a voice, merry, and you’re using it well. Change starts with people feeling very strongly about an issue and taking a stand. It starts small but these days can gather momentum very quickly.
That's very kind but all I've done apart from to highlight this dreadful app on here is to contact Q with my thoughts and feelings, which got me nowhere. They "cleverly" signed off with "we'll pass your feedback on" which means were I to reply, I'd be "politely reminded" that my feedback has been passed on. I would imagine that my feed back has been passed into general file B1N. I'm not sure what my next steps could be, Watchdog? I'm sure they'd not be allowed to show any off the footage due to data protection, not only that even mentioning the app could have the reverse effect in that it's a free advert for them and could attract even more compulsive shoppers. A petition aimed at the industry in general? I'm a pretty shy person and not sure I want to put my name out there.
What I would say though is that if anyone on here would care to fill in one of their feedback forms about Qurio..please do. Like I've said before, it might not do any good, but it'll give them extra work to do, and hopefully pee them off a bit!

I think I have an addiction, to Qurio! I keep ‘dipping in‘ I cannot believe the self obsessed manner in which some of these people come over as if they are performing some kind of public service.After discovering ‘all things Lola’ and the ‘Shirley Valentine’ it is like a comedy spoof take off, just think what the late great Victoria Wood would have made of this! I agree with Twilight I feel little sympathy they will maintain it is their human right to spend as they wish they must be aware of the costs.

How ever much spare cash/good job etc,buying items all the time eventually catches up with you.
Lola Rose woman has a serious problem,but does not recognise she has an addiction,and much of the jewellery she buys is worthless with no resale value at all.
Shes not the only one with a problem on Qurio,but their is no point in passing on any advice or comment to these people,because they would simply ignore it or get you banned from the app by QVC.
Its QVC who really should be held to account,and asked why they promote and encourage overspending shopaholic behaviour,putting people into debt Is morally wrong and callous.

I see that Ruth and Jackie are really pushing the ‘we are all a gang, our ladies’‘etc. Encouraging lots of interaction with viewers, reading out more and more tweets, showing pictures that adoring fans send in, let’s all have a drink together, and making gullible people think Ruth and Jackie are their personal friends. It’s becoming their own version of the Qurio ap !

Well there used to be the Stans( I am your greatest fan), on Facebook they seemed to have disappeared, and they are the ones on qurio now. I remember making comments about stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Join the cult, and you have to drink the Kool-Aid and the presenters encourage them to do it.

Latest posts

Back