Pretentious? Moi?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
Sutton just told an anecdote about her son during which it became parent that her kids call her "mama".

I mean. Really?

How old fashioned. Do you meam they say it like ma-mar or mama (like momma?)

Claire seems like a very nice, bubbly person but she is so weird sometimes. I cannot stop myself cringing when she talks about her 'mummy.' Sorry to anyone out there who still calls their mum that, but it sounds very odd to hear it from a 40-odd year old woman.

For gods sake, she comes from Rochdale doesn't she? Not a million miles from where I live and NOBODY I know calls their mothers that. Ma-mar sounds like something they'd say in Downton Abbey which is set nearly 100 years ago!

Wow that is posh. Sometimes little kids learning to talk say mumma and a friends little girl whos 4 says it but she means mummy and that is what my friend calls herself when talking to her child.

I have a vision of them lining up to curtsey and bow to her before bedtime. She was on about her "school mummy" friends the other day, bet its like a stepford wives convention when they get together.

I say mama, sounds (ma-ma), I am a Swede and that is commonplace. Ma-marr is very dated isn't it? Nothing particularly wrong with it I suppose but could sound a tad pretentious or affected. I say pa-pa for my Dad but again I was raised to say that. My girls call us Mum & Dad!

Inge

Turned over to Q 10 mins ago and it must be my imagination but she has been talking in a more normal grown up way today. Seems almost stern!

I, on the very few occasions I was commanded to speak to her, called the old biddy Grandmama.
Mrs Bates gets called Mother and she does indeed know why. She would cut out my tongue if I called her mummy but sometimes she gets called mammy just to wind her up.

Mama? How very.....ordinary ....- ours always called us Mater & Pater......that's when they saw us at all of course......if Strictly was on or something, evening 'inspections' were cut extremely short & they were simply shooed back to the nursery before they'd even made it halfway down the main staircase........!

:mysmilie_846:

I have a vision of the Von Traps in my head now
Mama? How very.....ordinary ....- ours always called us Mater & Pater......that's when they saw us at all of course......if Strictly was on or something, evening 'inspections' were cut extremely short & they were simply shooed back to the nursery before they'd even made it halfway down the main staircase........!

:mysmilie_846:

Latest posts

Back