Poor taste and misinformation

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
I am very surprised at QVC bringing out this ring set. February 6th 1952 was not a time of celebration, it was the day George VI died, a very sad day indeed for Princess Elizabeth who was on holiday in Africa with her husband at the time.

She may have become Queen automatically but I doubt very much that she would call it a day of celebration.

Also the Coronation Gill, was not until 1953 so please get you flippin facts right will you?

Why not leave this ring set until the summer, not on this particular day?

Pillocks!!

Plate and paste tat. I bet they were planning this anyway and dreamt up the nonsense about it being for the jubilee. We all just know how the Queen loves cubic zirconia and silver items plated to look like something better. A confidence trick in reverent commemoration ....

I'm a tad concerned that the Assay Office stamp they've designed makes the poor Queen look like Melvyn Bragg in drag. :sad:

jilly did say the coronation was in 1953 and as there is a gun salute in hyde park tomorrow, then i'm sure that its not offensive having a diamond jubilee marked on qvc with a tsv .

Her maj won't be watching QVC so i'm sure she'll be totally missing out on some special jewellery

Last edited:
Oh she did correct herself later in the midnight programme but when she first came on, she said that "today we are celebrating the ascension to the throne of HM the Queen, when she first came into "power" but the coronation was later in the year, in June I think".

While for Her Majesty and her family, this day each year must be tinged with great sadness, it does officially mark the beginning of her reign and so of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. The continuity of the monarchy, and the idea that the very second a reigning monarch passes away, his or her heir becomes monarch, means that (aside from a few formalities and declarations) her reign did begin 60 years ago today. The celebrations, of course, 'centre' on the Bank Holiday Weekend around 2nd June - her official birthday. However, if the Coronation was the only event to be celebrated and significant, and the nation was without a monarch until the next one was crowned, (aside from the obvious security risks etc) we would not be celebrating anything until next year.
As I understand it, QVC intend to have a number of items with this new cut to celebrate throughout the Jubilee Year.
Whatever the technicalities, having been monarch for 60 years, I'm sure H.M. has had to endure worse things on the anniversary of her father's death than the selling of a bit of souvenir jewellery.

Anyone who buys this 'collectors piece' will of course get lots of comments. Obviously no-one will ever know that they aren't the real thing. Even an actual jeweller with a loupe will be fooled into believing a ring costing 14 quid is a 1ct flawless diamond solitaire set in platinum. So what a discussion point when you tell people the whole story about its heritage. Wow!! I'm jumping to the phone as I speak.

Well I would never wear a wedding band and engagement ring duo on my right hand anyway. I know lots of people do but I don't like the look personally so I don't need to worry. I'll have to get a mug or summat to mark the celebrations lol.

And much as I love diamonique, I know perfectly well that the minute I hand the piece to a jeweller, he or she is going to know it's not a real diamond. The jeweller might be fooled from a distance but certainly not on close inspection. Not that it bothers me. I never pass off diamonique as real anyway.

unless you can afford beautifull diamonds they can look really horrible. i'd rather buy small diamonique pieces paticularly set in gold. all my gold diamonique i have had for nearly 20 years now and look fantastic.
the eppiphany stuff is nice as it does not tarnish on me and looks good for years as well.

its the "artificilaty of truth" around Diamonds that gets to me - and I am struggling to find the right word here and I am not sure that artificiality is even a word. The whole thing about diamonds is that they are suppose to be rare, hence the price, and yet DeBeers and others have stockpiled the stones to keep the prices artificially high. I deplore the fact that the diamond cutting is only done in recognized centers, thereby excluding local people of jobs in countries were these jobs could make a real difference, ensuring the wealth these stones are created stay in the same hands with very little trickling down effect - and lets not even talk about conflict diamonds so give me diamonique anytime

Mentioning no names, but a few threads and posts are sounding very 'technical & knowledgable' re the "workings" of qvc , so I suspect there are a few forumites on here who work for them. If that IS the case then I jolly well hope that some of our 'moan' get filtered back to those concerned. !

Well I would never wear a wedding band and engagement ring duo on my right hand anyway. I know lots of people do but I don't like the look personally so I don't need to worry. I'll have to get a mug or summat to mark the celebrations lol.

And much as I love diamonique, I know perfectly well that the minute I hand the piece to a jeweller, he or she is going to know it's not a real diamond. The jeweller might be fooled from a distance but certainly not on close inspection. Not that it bothers me. I never pass off diamonique as real anyway.

In a lot of European Countries woman wearing their wedding ring on the right hand not the left as we do. I wear my grandmothers wedding set on my right hand.

In a lot of European Countries woman wearing their wedding ring on the right hand not the left as we do. I wear my grandmothers wedding set on my right hand.

I didn't know that Sazza. I thought it was always the left hand! And wearing your grandmother's rings is a lovely idea. I'm not sure why I don't like it but I should have said I don't like it on me. Rather than a blanket I don't like it. I change the ring on my right hand quite regularly and usually go for one simple piece or one gobstopper.

I'm wearing an inherited piece today ... from my great aunt ... which is really unusual as it's rose and green gold. I love it but I'm sure some people must wonder if it's gone manky!

No offence meant to anyone who loves the set of rings on the right hand look.

I don't mind the right hand look as sazza says its so the culture to wear it on the other hand anyway.I'm also a bit anal that I like things to match :blush: - not that I regularly wear right hand rings.(or any other rings come to that,only my wedding rings)

I do think the TSV is a bit uninspiring.QVC do lots of these ring sets - surely once you have one - well you have one? as I do.If it was all about the celebration,I'm sure they could have come up with something a bit better.

I wonder if they'll send the Queen a complimentary set of this TSV? :cheeky:

Not interested in the TSV but I have bought other Epiphany sets which I wear on my right or left hand as the mood takes me, fortunately the ring finger is the same size on both hands. :sun:

I can't make out the main picture at all, it looks like a double-band ring

My mistake, I hadn't read the description or seen the presentation until just now, hadn't realised it is 2 separate rings.

Think it will suit me? Size U, if anyone wants to buy it for me lol.

Last edited:
I'm a tad concerned that the Assay Office stamp they've designed makes the poor Queen look like Melvyn Bragg in drag. :sad:

I thought it was Fatima Whitbread! Q could do a set of cockroach earrings to commemorate her being second runner up in the jungle?

Jude xx

Latest posts

Back