NONE of it works...........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Rozzy

Registered Shopper
I'm 53 and will say at the outset that thankfully I've been blessed with pretty good skin for my age, but being post menopause, my skins getting quite dry and I've got laughter lines forming around my eyes:sun:
I must admit that I'm a bit sloppy with my routine and don't moisturise every day but I've been trying various ones but truly I don't believe that any product really does help with crows feet etc.
I've used Liz Earle Superskin moisturiser and eye cream for quite a while and now I'm using Gatineau (supposedly 75 quid a pot but I got the 38 quid deal, no way would I pay more)
Oh yes, they undoubtedly leave your skin feeling soft, but so would an ounce of lard:sun:
I honestly don't think that ANY of these top end products do a thing to combat wrinkles....................unless you know differently of course:sun:

ps I've got a Marks and Sparks honey moisturiser which was only about 4 quid and that leaves a nice finish for foundation.

As far as I'm aware the only ingredient proven to change skin is Vitamin A/Retinol but of course anything applied topically is only going to have a limited effect. I use a Vitamin C serum and a moisturiser with soy extract with i feel makes my skin brighter and I'm using an AHA at the moment to try and fade my freckles a bit but I'm perfectly aware than nothing is going to make me look 20 again!!

But yeah, essentially nothing is going to rid you of wrinkles and any moisturiser will plump your skin temporarily and make them look better while you're wearing it. I suppose it's down to what you like and what you can afford.

I agree - that's why I only use the cheap stuff. The only thing that gets rid of my wrinkles is botox - a nice side effect since I have it to help with my migraines. If I was that bothered about it, I would get surgery but having seen so many celebs looking dodgy, I'm not sure I would bother even if I had a lottery win to pay for it.

Over the years I have tried most of the qvc beauty products , none of them left a lasting impression, atm I'm using purity (philosophy) as my cleanser, PCMC (elemis) night and morning, and a rub down with Liz Earle's instant boost skin tonic now and again. Hardly a routine, more a show willing :grin:

I am a hethen (sp) in terms of skincare. The only thing I do with my face is use a cleansing wipe once a day, an exfoliating scrub in the shower and I also slap on 'Simple' oil balancing moisturiser after a shower. Perhaps this is why, at 24 I still have the skin of a sixteen year old.....and I dont mean a pretty 16 yr old, I mean the ones with spots and loads of open pores! Although, the spots are down to the medication I'm on. I really should start to get into a skincare routine but there are so many brands out there that I'm just confused as to what I need. I have really oily skin and dont know what brand or range to get, and tbh I really cant afford luxuries like Elemis/Decleor etc. Even cleanse and polish is a bit steep for me. I find it so annoying when people like AY say you have to invest in your skin. That's all well and good but I have nappies, school uniforms, clothes, baby food, weekly shop etc to pay for...which I realise we all do but we are on a very low income because my partner is off work at the moment and having to register as my carer because of various mental health problems I have. I actually find it quite comforting that you are saying that the expensive things work no better than high street stuff because now I wont feel as guilty when I buy my stuff from Tesco :blush:

There is no miracle cream that can roll back the years, if there was there would be a lot of very poor plastic surgeons !

Skin care is about keeping your skin clean and moisturised whilst not blocking up the pores which will lead to problems. I use Elemis because I love the way it makes my skin feel, the texture and the smell put simply I enjoy it. It doesnt cause my skin to break out and I can afford it. I have tried cheaper and more expensive brands but Elemis is my cream of choice.

I would never tell anyone they should use brand A or B that is a personal choice based on your own preferences and budget, what works for one wont for another because we are all different and we all react both physically and emotionally to different things.

Whatever skin care you use it should be enjoyable if it isnt or if its just a chore then you wont do it so it wont matter whether you paid £50 or 50p its still a waste of money

I used to be secretary to a consultant dermatologist and she used to say it's all about keeping your skin moisturised. The lines will diminish immediately you put any moisturiser whatsoever on, and will return when your skin dries out again. They won't disappear for good by putting the latest wonder product on.

It's all about balance, as is the case with everything. Don't let somebody like AY brainwash you into thinking high end brands are going to keep you looking young because they won't.

I use Decleor mainly, because I have psoriasis and a lot of things make it worse. I do love the smell of Decleor products but if I'm being honest I could definitely use something with natural ingredients which is much cheaper.

We all need to get our priorities right. If we are able to indulge ourselves then fine but if we can't afford it, we'll appreciate it all the more when we maybe get a nice skincare gift.

Didn't QVC used to sell Pure Retinol Eye Patches? you placed them under your eye for about 10 mins (?) every day, then applied your makeup once you had finished using them.

Retinol is what you loose as you age.

What happened to the patches?

no cream will get rid of wrinkles,most products do absolutely nothing apart from maybe moisturise at best , at worst they are going to harm your skin. the only way to shift the wrinkles is one of the temporary fixers or, go under the knife ,ask lulu.

In my case the trouble is finding something that doesn't do me any harm and it's damn well near impossible. Knowing what the problem is unfortunately doesn't mean a solution is easy to find.

I think the only things that help to keep your skin looking as young as possible are a moisturiser that you enjoy using regularly, a good sun screen, cleansing your skin each evening & being sure you choose parents with good genes.

I dont think i've ever used the same moisturiser twice. I go from an M&S or Boots one for a few quid up to an Origins one for up to £30 and occasionally a lancome one if they are doing an offer and I've been seduced by the freebies. I get my nails done every few weeks in house of Fraser, beside a VERY expensive make up skincare counter no change from £100 - £200 and honestly ive never seen a customer buy anything there.

As far as I'm aware the only ingredient proven to change skin is Vitamin A/Retinol but of course anything applied topically is only going to have a limited effect. I use a Vitamin C serum and a moisturiser with soy extract with i feel makes my skin brighter and I'm using an AHA at the moment to try and fade my freckles a bit but I'm perfectly aware than nothing is going to make me look 20 again!!

But yeah, essentially nothing is going to rid you of wrinkles and any moisturiser will plump your skin temporarily and make them look better while you're wearing it. I suppose it's down to what you like and what you can afford.

In all honesty, if any of these topically applied creams worked then they would have to be reclassified as medicines. We know they don't work - but we indulge ourselves dependant upon the depth of our pocket.

We know you need to drink plenty of water, eat healthily and most importantly stay out of the sun and don't smoke.

I have an unopened tube of Tretinoin (had it for a year now) - I keep looking at this tube of supposed magic and wonder whether to give it a go to see how it performs versus all our other potions. Has anyone used this?

WHAT!!!!! You give me all this to deal with on the first day of my Judith Williams skincare routine. :doh: I was just about to start on my youthfull journey. Oh well. Maybe the next launch of some new brand will do it? LOL

AY talks a load of b*****ks!! It was only a few weeks ago that she was going on and on about NV Perricone and the £100 plus tub of moisturer and how wonderful and that it is the high end of the range! It seems clear she does not like the LE range very much despite it still sells very well even though Liz Earle sold out and sold the company to Avon. I cannot bear to watch her at all now!!

I've tried lots of QVC brands of skincare and that in itself, says it all to me. Because if any of them had made any sort of dramatic difference, I'd still be using them.

I do like LE Cleanse and Polish, but there are plenty of other "hot cloth" cleansers around now. I think cleaning the skin really well, is a good place to start. For this reason, I don't like wipes, but if I feel my skin has had a good deep down clean without being stripped, then it's good by me.

I also like the LE Instant Boost Skin Tonic, but again, this isn't a regular thing. I might treat myself to a bottle every now and again but I'll often use nothing, or something inexpensive from Boots, so long as it's alcohol free.

Moisturisers - well I've not found one that I love and I've tried everything from PCMC to Aldi. I bought two of the previous Elemis TSVs (the one with the gel cleanser and the PCMC) when I was feeling a bit flush, but there has been no difference in my skin! I've had equal results from Olay and the Aldi cream. I've even been known to use Johnson's Baby Moisturiser and my face hasn't spontaneously combusted!!

I've got a bit of Cleanse and Polish left, a tube of Elemis cleanser and a small jar of PCMC left to use. However I honestly think that when they're gone, that'll be the last pricey skincare for me for a while.

I wavered over the Elemis TSV yesterday and then came to my senses when I realised that added together, most of the stuff in that kit wouldn't even come to 100ml in total and was unlikely to make any sort of dramatic difference to my skin for the best part of £75!

Unless I suddenly come out in boils or start looking 95 (I'm 37!) then I'm staying in a more reasonable price range and am not going to let QVC make me feel guilty about it.:happy:

I find this interesting bearing in mind the claims all these brands make. I'd love to know how they get away with it. Actually, how do they get away with it?

So bearing in mind, nothing makes a permanent change, what have you found that makes the best temporary difference, and has anyone found any oils that are particularly good at moisturising, help aging and don't irritate skin? I ask because I'm at that age where lines are appearing and so I want to do what i can to prevent them getting worse. :)

Despite their over-hyping, slightly dubious sales techniques and lack of detailed usage instructions/demonstrations, I do like buying from QVC because of the returns policy. But I do wish AY would not interrupt the guests - I don't dislike her but she's getting worse. I care about things working for me not a celeb or her husband so would rather hear who it's suitable for and when it should be used. Silly me.

So really, in a nutshell (thank you all for joining in) nothing at all will actually stop or even help wrinkles, no matter what we pay for it:doh: Honestly, don't bother paying high prices, it simply doesn't work:down:
I'm seriously tempted to put a little dab of extra virgin olive oil on my skin because there are also claims for that being a great moisturiser. Can you imagine how economical that would be, around a fiver for a big bottle, it'd last for years and do just as good a job with no nasty chemicals:sun:

I'm not convinced that slathering on night cream is a good idea either. Princess Diana was an advocate of going to bed with nothing on her face to allow her skin to breathe and repair itself. Sounds sensible to me.
I don't actually cleanse my face every day because I don't wear foundation very often and I live in a country area where the air is pretty clean so don't always feel the need.
I'm not going to be tempted to buy expensive creams in the future:sun:

What annoys me about the beauty shows on QVC is all the moisturers do not have an SPF with the exception of Elmis liquid layer that Keely says to use after tri enzyme. AY is always going on about sun damage which is ageing on the skin. Both Decleor and Gatineau do a moisturiser with an SPF but QVC do not sell them. As AY should know it doesn't have to be a bright sunny day to damage the skin, windy overcast days are no good to the skin. Also the eye creams they sell - none have an SPF. I have always used an eye cream with an SPF, it used to be a Clinique one but they stopped making it. Now I use Elizabeth Arden, Dermalogica sell one as well. I am now in my early 50s and do not have many lines around the eyes, this I put down to always using an SPF eye cream. I use Gatineau/Decleor but during the day always a moisturiser with SPF.

The way we age is down to lifestyle/genes but a moisturiser with an SPF in my view is essential.

So really, in a nutshell (thank you all for joining in) nothing at all will actually stop or even help wrinkles, no matter what we pay for it:doh: Honestly, don't bother paying high prices, it simply doesn't work:down:

I think that nothing apart from surgery will get rid of wrinkles but a good skincare routine can slow their appearance down

Latest posts

Back