Mum! I'm off to uni... Don't forget to get me that shopping trolley!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
Seriously taking "out of touch" to new levels, Gill Gauntlet suggests that when sending your child off to uni you should supply her with 800 883 which is a shopping trolley on wheels.

Oh yes it's all the rage with trendy student types I'm sure. Gill reckons you could go to the library and collect your books in it. :thinking:

She also said she'd taken it on a family holiday to Cornwall for "transporting towells to the beach". :taphead:

Gill Gauntlet is either the most embarassing mother IN THE WORLD or a complete idiot.

p.s I'm off work and watching WAY too much Q at the mo.

p.p.s I'm loving it.

It sometimes makes me wonder if all the people they get to present items are specially imported from the plant zog, that is the only explination I can think of that justifies the complete claptrap that they come out with. Still at least it gives the "real people" something to laugh at

Only people ive ever seen pushing those trolleys wee the elderly back in the 80's, thought those things died a death.

Surprised it is a Langdon item, as i thought Paul Langdon, were mainly diy.

I take it the huge Ikea shopping list Debbie Greenwoods daughter had, contained one of their shopping trolleys then!

I know I may not live near the trendiest university in the country, but I have actually seen many students using a trendy-patterned shopping trolley to bring home their supplies from the supermarket etc. I'm a fairly 'hip' adult and use one myself (red, white and black spotted, as it happens) to bring stuff home from the local farmers' market, and when bringing back food from IKEA etc. I don't have a car, but I do have dodgy tendons in my hands and wrist and so something like this saves me a lot of pain and is really useful on the bus.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ield-keywords=trendy+shopping+trolley&x=0&y=0

You can get loads of funky designs these days and mine has a special cool-bag feature inside. It's brilliant. If you have a car, I can understand how you might overlook how useful they are, but for a pedestrian and public transport user, they are fantastic. I know shopping trolleys have a general association with the 'elderly' but I really have seen lots of younger, trendier people using them! Trust me, it's the future!

Last edited:
I live virtually on the campus of both The University of Manchester and the MMU, surrounded by students and can tell you I've never see such a thing. I haven't even seen an old person with one!

Mind you, with the armfuls of booze they carry out of the 24 hour Spar its possibly an idea that could catch on. In fact I'm surprised Spar arent selling them.

It is indeed the future!! I agree that any student may not have this at the top of the list for items to take to uni but I have seen plenty of stylish folk in Paris and Italy using them for their shopping etc over a good number of years and if they're good enough for the chic Parisian ladies, they're good enough for me!! Think these trolleys still have that image of the tartan pattern version for old ladies (no offence to anyone there) but nowadays there are so many colours/patterns/styles etc. I wouldn't object to having one as I am not allowed to carry heavy bags.

I live virtually on the campus of both The University of Manchester and the MMU, surrounded by students and can tell you I've never see such a thing. I haven't even seen an old person with one!

Mind you, with the armfuls of booze they carry out of the 24 hour Spar its possibly an idea that could catch on. In fact I'm surprised Spar arent selling them.

I can't believe you don't regularly scoot down the motorway, to reconnoitre Birchwood to add "Tales from the Outlet" to your repertoire.

:tongue:

I bought one in the Good Food show many years ago to cart around all the lush food I had bought. It was foldable. I have since used it for work (carrying lots of files) and for taking stuff to the charity shop in. I have never used it in a supermarket as it's too small! I think I'll dig it out again though and start using it again! I think it's quirky to use, not to mention practical :D

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I know I may not live near the trendiest university in the country, but I have actually seen many students using a trendy-patterned shopping trolley to bring home their supplies from the supermarket etc. I'm a fairly 'hip' adult and use one myself (red, white and black spotted, as it happens) to bring stuff home from the local farmers' market, and when bringing back food from IKEA etc. I don't have a car, but I do have dodgy tendons in my hands and wrist and so something like this saves me a lot of pain and is really useful on the bus.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ield-keywords=trendy+shopping+trolley&x=0&y=0

You can get loads of funky designs these days and mine has a special cool-bag feature inside. It's brilliant. If you have a car, I can understand how you might overlook how useful they are, but for a pedestrian and public transport user, they are fantastic. I know shopping trolleys have a general association with the 'elderly' but I really have seen lots of younger, trendier people using them! Trust me, it's the future!

I've been thinking about getting a shopping trolley for some time, esp when I go round Bury market as I end up loaded with bags and then struggle carrying them all back to the car. My daughter was horrified and said please don't use it when I am with her :giggle:

I do like the funky ones and will get one - can't wait to see her face :grin:

I've been thinking about getting a shopping trolley for some time, esp when I go round Bury market as I end up loaded with bags and then struggle carrying them all back to the car. My daughter was horrified and said please don't use it when I am with her :giggle:

I do like the funky ones and will get one - can't wait to see her face :grin:

I only got some reusable shopping bags plus a net pink one from Marks and Sparks never heard the last of Tim Minchin get your canvas bag video. :mysmilie_486: :mysmilie_483:

Not great for the library then!

The last time I went in our local library it was one of the noisiest places in the city! What with knitting groups, children's story-telling, mother and baby groups and an OAP group having a coffee morning!

The last time I went in our local library it was one of the noisiest places in the city! What with knitting groups, children's story-telling, mother and baby groups and an OAP group having a coffee morning!

Sounds like hell on earth :dull:

I saw a tri-wheel shopping trolley in France about 30 years ago, but I've never once seen one in the UK.

The tri-wheel is a superb idea for going up kerbs and steps.

I bought a trolley a few years ago when I drastically cut down on car use. I am only a 1/4 hour walk from a supermarket, but carrying a week's shopping without a trolley is virtually impossible.

I spent ages looking for a tri-wheel, without sucess, so had to get an ordinary one.

PS Mine is a lot bigger, and not pink.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back