Memory Foam Matress Topper

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rosey

Registered Shopper
My husband has been having back problems for about 2 years and this week he went to a new chiropracter who suggested that the matress on our bed might be too firm. The chiropracter said that although it already has memory foam on it they do not put much on and a topper of at least 2 inches might be better as it will have something for his hips to sink into. For the meantime we have put our old featherbed back on which is hopefully helping.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one. I have looked on qvc and they have two on there but they get quite mixed reviews.

I have had a little look online and see that there are two types - a flat one and an eggbox like one. What difference does it make. The eggbox one looks as though it will not be comfy!

Another vote for Dunelm! We have a memory foam mattress too Rosey but I found I still needed the topper to lie comfortably on my bad hip.

Very comfortable but a little hot in the summer

Hi I registered on the forum to give you my opinion.

I bought a mattress that was too firm and rather than return it I got a memory foam topper about 3 years ago. It was either from QVC or IW. No more back problems but it is alot warmer to sleep on than an ordinary mattress which is OK in the winter but a little hot in the summer but it is so comfortable that I cannot bear to take it off for the summer. To give you an idea of how hot - if I take a hot water bottle to bed it is still warm in the morning before I had the memory foam topper the hot water bottle was cold in the morning. I've tried the cool max sheets but they don't make much difference.

The memory foam topper is 4cm thick and has its own removable case which I have never taken off. It does not have the egg case type depressions. It also has elasticated straps that go under the main mattress which just about stop it creeping around/off the bed. I've heard of people putting rug tape under the memory foam mattresses to stop them creeping around. It smelt very chemical for around 24 hours so I left it to air before I put it on the bed.

Adding another 4cm to your bed means that if you have fitted sheets it is a bit of a challenge to get them on. I have bought a few generous sized flat sheets to get round this.

Argos has lots of review of memory foam toppers to help you decide.

Of course buying one from QVC means that you can return it if you do not get on with it.

I bought mine in Poundstretcher for just under £50.00 six or seven years ago & it's still as good as new. I turn it every now & then when I turn the mattress, but I don't think it makes any difference.
I bought two more about a year later from an eBay seller & cut them down one side so they would lie on our 4ft beds with less overhang. Again, no problem with them at all.
I really miss a foam topper on the rare occasion when I'm not sleeping in my own bed.

Bought ours from Ikea for around £100. Ikea also have a return and refund policy if you can't get on with it.

I've recently bought the Dunelm one, it's excellent! Online it has so many excellent reviews! They did have 20% off the beginning of Jan when I got mine so may be worth checking out!

I started off buying one for hubby and I and very soon all the beds in the house had one. They're fab and no ways would I or any of my family be without one now.

Can you tell me which one at dunhelm just has a look and the one I saw has one, one star review saying its not good, so that must be the wrong one

I started off buying one for hubby and I and very soon all the beds in the house had one. They're fab and no ways would I or any of my family be without one now.

That's what I did too.
I also bought one for my eldest daughter who does not live at home, then bought one for my mother-in-law because her hips hurt.
They are fabulous.

I started off with memory foam toppers and gone onto memory foam mattresses, it's incredible how much difference they can make. Wish I could afford a Tempur, they are the best. Been doing a lot of research on the net recently, the HD rating makes all the difference, Tempur is 85kg/m3, which is the highest (this is the mattress, toppers are different.) My daughters are 75kg/m3 and still very good, so good we are about to buy one for ourselves...been a long time coming, I have a fairly decent silent night pocket sprung with 2" topper and that is not good any more, when one of my daughters has a sleepover, I jump at the opportunity to get into there's. There really is a lot of difference. A 4" topper does look nice though but as the spring mattress is no good any more, I will go the whole 9 yards and get the proper mattress.

Do you remember that old topper thread from years ago on here, it was a classic!

Can't imagine life without mine. I bought a polar foam one from Q two or three years ago to add to a foam topped matress, I don't know if it's cool/too warm in the summer as we haven't had one since I bought it!

I also got one for the spare single bed and take it with me if I'm visiting elsewhere for more than one night.

"The memory foam topper is 4cm thick and has its own removable case which I have never taken off. It does not have the egg case type depressions. It also has elasticated straps that go under the main mattress which just about stop it creeping around/off the bed. I've heard of people putting rug tape under the memory foam mattresses to stop them creeping around. It smelt very chemical for around 24 hours so I left it to air before I put it on the bed.

Adding another 4cm to your bed means that if you have fitted sheets it is a bit of a challenge to get them on. I have bought a few generous sized flat sheets to get round this."

I have a valanced type of sheet on the mattress, and then use a fitted sheet on the actual topper, as I agree, adding that much to your mattress height is a problem with fitted sheets.

The creeping can be a problem - my last topper, when I took the case off for washing I couldn't get it back on again as I think the topper expanded, and actually that cured the creeping. My present one isn't that old so still has the cover on and I'm noticing I do have to hoick it back up the bed in the morning as it's crept an inch or two down - I'll probably remove it soon!

Latest posts

Back