Marverine presenting style - any redeeming features?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

i think that all the presenters have a role/ who they attract to buy. julia is supposed to be the middle class, professional older woman. we have dale who is the housewifes choice. claire sutton is the yummy mummy, catherine for the more nervous shopper and debbie flints role is for the average girl next door persona

Do you really think DBF is the average girl next door? I think whatever persona she has is aimed at the vulnerable who think she is their friend and want to buy from her shows even though they can't afford it nor need it just because they think she has picked the items personally with them in mind.
Now there is another name for this ....... Let me see..... What is again?:mysmilie_11:

That documentary link was really interesting, I'd not seen that before. I picked up on the fact that apparently Paul Lavers and Debbie Flint and that other Steve guy had been QVC's top sellers. I can't imagine if that was really the case at the time why QVC wouldn't have moved heaven and earth to stop them leaving.
I think to this day IW are trying as hard as they can to not be QVC, but ironically it seems QVC are now trying quite hard to be IW in many respects (shrinking number of brands, repetetive TSVs, increasingly shouty presenting style).
There was an interesting thread a while back on the IW section from an ex-IW person explaining about how they work, including ramping up the shoutiness at certain times (such as ad breaks) to try and grab channel-hoppers attention.

There was an interesting thread a while back on the IW section from an ex-IW person explaining about how they work, including ramping up the shoutiness at certain times (such as ad breaks) to try and grab channel-hoppers attention.

If I caught that, I'd carry on hopping to another channel. But interesting to hear from an insider about the tricks of the trade.

Marverine Cole is an award-winning Journalist and Broadcaster. Marverine's expertise and versatility is second-to-none.

TV & Radio News
Marverine’s worked for many of Britain’s most watched and listened to broadcasters. She’s at home in any given situation – be it in a live & unscripted environment, or with scripted production, direction and autocue. Reporting on location or in a studio - Marverine's done it all in the last 20 years of her career in the media. As a journalist, she’s appeared as a Presenter and Reporter covering News and Current Affairs, Social History and Culture, as well as Celebrity and Lifestyle stories. She’s produced her own radio bulletins & speech programmes, she’s produced BBC local radio programmes & network documentaries, handling on-air talent with ease. Marverine’s also managed teams of radio & video journalists to produce bulletins and on-screen news features. She’s more than comfortable in all genres, across all platforms

Voiceover Artist
She's a highly experienced Voiceover Artist - working with countless films on complicated and technical corporate projects

Media Training & Mentor
She’s also a huge advocate of diversity in the media industry: she’s been imparting her skills and knowledge as a freelance Media Trainer, Visiting Lecturer in Journalism and Media, Mentor and Industry Speaker to hundreds of people of all ages and at varying stages of their careers

Beer
Marverine loves drinking beer: she's one of the UK's leading female experts on beer, she's a member of the British Guild of Beer Writers, and she's a qualified Beer Sommelier meaning she frequently advises on beer and food matching events, as well as hosting corporate and consumer events for pubs & breweries. She's appeared on some of Britain's most popular daytime TV and radio shows, all to spread the word about the beauty in beer

Writer
She’s also a screenwriter, who’s currently in development with several projects including a webseries and a short film

Sorry, no doubt the above is true, but I am really struggling to believe a word of it, as the way she performs with hesitancy hardly rings true with someone who 'lectures' on the media. And as for 'being at home' in any given situation, well it makes me think that I should have upped my working cv during my career, - who knows what I could have achieved, if Marverine is the best of what's on offer these days. I really am speechless, particularly as I can honestly say that despite Debbie & Marverine's umpteen jobs and appearances on the Beeb, I have never seen either of them once !

Do you really think DBF is the average girl next door? I think whatever persona she has is aimed at the vulnerable who think she is their friend and want to buy from her shows even though they can't afford it nor need it just because they think she has picked the items personally with them in mind.
Now there is another name for this ....... Let me see..... What is again?:mysmilie_11:

actually i dont think she is the girl next door but her role is to seduce the girl next door.

It's an honest ploy. Just wondering - do honest and ploy sit well together?

Honesty and QVC couldn't be further apart, from "its exclusive to QVC" it isn't, "you can only get it here at QVC" you can't, "we're the cheapest" they're not, are all aimed to deceive, what they don't realise is most of us have the Internet and can check. Take the latest one for instance, Debbie Flint said "buy it! Get yours now! The Bodyblade isn't on easy pay when Bruce isn't here".......when I looked today, it's on three easy pays and Bruce isn't here, so says it all hey?

I think I'd prefer more of them to mention the p&p more often. Usually presentations get excited about the price QVC charge, when by the time you factor in the p&p it is no cheaper than most other outlets, including DHS. Even worse when the big sell is on the easy pay installment as if that's all you have to pay (only if you're returning the item).

I think Marv has a bit of integrity about this aspect of her job. She then overcompensates sometimes by being too gushing about products.

I've seen clips of her doing other work and she's relaxed and confident, so judging her by only her QVC work doesn't do her justice.

I found that Youtube documentary fascinating, and took a careful look on the QVC clips at the P & P shown - its only marginally changed since 2000 when the film was made - which in those days was still bl...dy expensive !!!

Latest posts

Back